Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 10:24   #16

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Re: CNG refill in St. Pete Tampa area

Thanks for all the information and the link. I did find a few videos on you tube. I'm glad the CNG is becoming more available. I think I'll attempt making an adapter.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:38   #17

Perhaps the place in Rhode Island is Corp Brothers???They might be a source for an adapter. .... I have a CNG system and my choice of either a 150 mile or a 230 mile drive (and a 1 week wait) to a fill station. CNG is the ideal cooking fuel system if it were only more readily available.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:45   #18

I have six cng tanks to sell if someone is interested. I live in the Cape Coral area. 239-410-2852
pisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 11:21   #19

It would be helpful if posters who quote refill prices also indicate the size of the tank - either hours or lbs. Thanks.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 18:15   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Reed-
No matter where you are, no one will ask you for a "certificate" for your CNG or propane tanks. However, if they want to stay in business (and stay alive) they will LOOK at each tank before filling it. By federal law, there has to be a DOT certification stamp literally stamped into the metal of the tank. And that is a hydrostatic pressure test certification which typically must be performed every five years (differs with tank types) for these tanks.
If your tanks have no certification, or they are past the time limit of that certification, no competent shop will fill them. If someone is willing to fill them, you may wish to reconsider being anywhere near that shop, in case they do literally blow up.
Also, as to all tanks being refillable? That's also a matter of regulation. You can refill a CNG powered car in NYC, but you'll have to apply for a refill "card" to do so, you can't just walk into a filling station from the street and hook up. No card? No access. You are limited to tank exchanges, if you find a place that handles them.
Propane tank? Sorry, no filling stations allowed in the city at all. You'll HAVE TO exchange propane tanks. Move over one to Nassau County, and you can have the same propane bottles refilled while you wait. In some townships, but not others.
And that's pretty much the way it goes everyplace in the US. Anywhere that is "urban" and there are long-standing fire safety codes and zooming laws? No refills, because "gas" explosions in dense areas are highly discouraged.
Heck, in New Jersey? You can't even pump your own gasoline.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 07:58   #21

CNG Refill Station found in Coatesville PA

This Clean Energy station in Coatesville PA has self service adapters for filling CNG bottles permanently installed. I have not tried this yet because I have a full tank, but I will fill up my tank here when it is empty. There are even permanently mounted steel bottle holders.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...hp?albumid=311
grandpasteve is offline   Reply With Quote