Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 16:04   #1

Boat: Peterson Islander 40
Clunkers v Modern

I have often been asked what is the best boat to buy if you want to go cruising. I always reply by suggesting you ask two questions, and answering them yourself and/or with other sailors:

1. What can an old clunker design do that a modern efficient sailboat can't. The answer is usually: Not very much.

2. What can a modern streamline design do, that an old clunker can't. The answer is: Heaps!

At this point you have to think about safety. Some argue that a clunker is more seaworthy and comfortable than a modern design, but there is little or no evidence to support that claim.

My advice is to choose a deep fin keel. This will allow you to go up wind. It will also give comfort while at anchor. A sloop rig. With the advent of roller furling there is no need for a cutter rig and staysail. Completely forget about a ketch!

The main reason for clunkers to have more than one mast, was because they didn't have the strength or modern materials to support a tall mast. Hence they went outwards rather than upwards with bowsprits and long overhanging booms.

I would also suggest that sailboats built in the 1980's are a lot stronger and robust than their modern counterparts. There are many designs from that era that are fast efficient, seaworthy.

James
Old 11-03-2016, 17:57   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Clunkers v Modern

Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 18:16   #3

Boat: H36

Wo! Has no one ever told you a sail boat is a long list of compromises? I like my modern boat but I sure might be tempted for one of them old heavy, narrow beam clunkers if I was single handling across the Atlantic. Heaving too in a blow is something a lot of more recent boats can't do.
Two sticks would be taking too far.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 18:52   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

So the 1980's is modern?
Old 11-03-2016, 22:25   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Wo! Has no one ever told you a sail boat is a long list of compromises? I like my modern boat but I sure might be tempted for one of them old heavy, narrow beam clunkers if I was single handling across the Atlantic. Heaving too in a blow is something a lot of more recent boats can't do.
Two sticks would be taking too far.

I seem to recall an around the world race not so long ago where the majority of the boats were "two stick"ers. The reasons given were that they reached better than the sloops, with lower centres of pressure and were also pretty handy down wind.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:08   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshe View Post
I have often been asked what is the best boat to buy if you want to go cruising.
I never have been asked, where are you hanging out at?

BTW - I wonder what will happen to some replies and I know what would happen if I wrote them.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:12   #7

Quote:
1. What can an old clunker design do that a modern efficient sailboat can't. The answer is usually: Not very much.

2. What can a modern streamline design do, that an old clunker can't. The answer is: Heaps!

From my perspective, all cruising boats do the same thing.

However, an oft-followed vehicle-forum rule is that whatever vehicle a forum member has at any given time (and generally in the past) is superior than whatever anyone else has. If it were a political forum it would be whatever candidate you've chosen. If it were a sports forum it would be your sports team.

We live in a consumer society, so a big part of what makes any given person special is the brand of their consumer goods or whatever the person considers to be their tribe.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:28   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

those of you dissing two sticks have NEVER faced a true gale in a sloop or cutter... rodlmffao.
true clunkers are the catahuntebenelinas out there now. oh yeah and donot forget to add the rest of the sloops that try to cruise.
anything that needs to re-enter its slip when the wind freshens is a clunker.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:04   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

And which is a clunker and which is modern? Examples?

I think many boats build over a century ago are still very modern - huge sail areas, flat hulls, blade rudders, etc.

Many boats built today are clunkers - bloated hulls, inefficient sails, rudders and keels falling off, etc.

I love them all, except the ugly ones.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:48   #10

Boat: H36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I seem to recall an around the world race not so long ago where the majority of the boats were "two stick"ers. The reasons given were that they reached better than the sloops, with lower centres of pressure and were also pretty handy down wind.

Don't like 10 people on my boat, just me. I am easier to please. Few strings to pull and sails to put away pleases me.

Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:54   #11

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38

Now what to do? I got one of them double ended clunkers. Oh boy.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:22   #12

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:

Your opinions are as good as your spelling. It's clinker, not clunker
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:36   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Mari Cha seems a double sticker. Does not seem very slow though.

International Canoes are double ended and the design is ? what ? 100 ? 150 ? years old? If someone thinks this make them obsolete and clunker PLS sail one then come back and tell us how it went.

So, what makes a clunker? What makes modern?

Love is not the answer. Love is a question.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:46   #14

Quote:
I have often been asked what is the best boat to buy if you want to go cruising. I always reply by suggesting you ask two questions, and answering them yourself and/or with other sailors:

At this point you have to think about safety. Some argue that a clunker is more seaworthy and comfortable than a modern design, but there is little or no evidence to support that claim.

My advice is to choose a deep fin keel. This will allow you to go up wind. It will also give comfort while at anchor. A sloop rig. With the advent of roller furling there is no need for a cutter rig and staysail. Completely forget about a ketch!

The main reason for clunkers to have more than one mast, was because they didn't have the strength or modern materials to support a tall mast. Hence they went outwards rather than upwards with bowsprits and long overhanging booms.

I would also suggest that sailboats built in the 1980's are a lot stronger and robust than their modern counterparts. There are many designs from that era that are fast efficient, seaworthy.

James
Oh my... I suggest you need to learn a lot more before making all these statements. For one thing, sailboat mast materials for most boats haven't changed much for ... oh.. about 60 years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:09   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So the OP sorta has an opinion I can follow until the last paragraph. I am not smart enough to figure it out, so no wonder I picked a horrible old clunker... and I am happy with it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote