Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2008, 18:06   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Clinching the Deal!

When we buy our cruising yacht, some of us go thru pages of checklists, research and inspections before making that major decision to buy a yacht that will become a big part of our life.

We all have a list of reasons why we made that choice.

What I am curious about is…..if you think back…..what one feature, sold you on buying your boat?

What clinched the deal?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 19:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Of the research I've done. Nothing on the checklist matters.

When you ask people what was the one thing they almost always say "they just knew". While it might make some say all the research was a waste. It may also mean you figure out what really matters in your own way. Until you figure that part out you can't close any deal.

Things that never close a deal:

1. Ratios - you name it and they are all totally worthless.
2. Broker - any boat that can't sell itself can't be sold.
3. Suggestions - Someone else can't tell you what boat is right for you (note even here).
4. Reviews - every boat has a long list of people that actually hate it.
5. Anything you can't explain to a 6 year old child.

Things that matter:

1. Headroom if you are over 6 - 5.
2. Price - the ugly boat you can afford is better than the any one you can't.
3. Looks - No one wants the ugliest boat in the harbor (2nd worst is OK).
4. The admiral is always right - Sorry rank matters. It's the shortcut to having a boat. (Hint- this is the real answer!)

It's not that people are not able to come to logical conclusions through well thought out processes. It's that they don't matter at the very end. It also means you get to the end by starting at the beginning. Some people need a 5 year research project. Of the folks I have talked to on this forum that did get a boat most of them said research was not important at the end. I don't think that invalidates the idea that all the technical stuff does not matter but some people need to go through the effort to reach the point of being able to say and believe what really matters to them. We don't make decisions by check lists as much as we try.

Why else would people choose the really terrible boats they do and yet you can't find even a small number of people that hate their boats. It's about what is important to them. I'm convinced it's not about the boat but it's about the people. We all go through transformations to make a decision. Some do it regularly and never stop buying boats.

I think the better question is not what clinched the deal but how did you do it?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 21:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Our list for our learning boat:

Inboard power
On-board head
Nav lights
Good Price
Decent survey
Decent interior

We got everything we needed even though boat supply is very limited. At the end of the day, brand, speed and such just weren't factors.

It boiled down to (low) price.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 23:20   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
For me, it was simply a walk in cockpit…… something many sailboats don’t have.

I never liked the center cockpit which you need to climb in and out of….. while keeping your cg low in rough weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	4367  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 04:07   #5
cruiser

The *one* thing that really did it for me was the solid construction. I was cat shopping, so with all the delaminated hulls out there, I wanted to feel good about the structural integrity of mine.

The hulls are solid glass and the deck is a little over an inch thick - balsa cored - no hope of ever breaking this boat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 05:48   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I wasn't looking for a cat at all. Although I had always been interested in them. I just happen to run across this one on Y.W.COM. I couldn't believe the price, and th co-broker just happen to be several blocks away from my business.

I discussed the boat with him, and then with a friend of mine who builds boats. After talking to my friend I was on the plane that weekend from S.F to St. Maarten. Before the test sail we tasted the water from the water maker, and then the owner said let's go sailing.

He set his glass on the counter, and so did the rest of us. The sails were up, and we were doing half the wind speed in rollers between St. Barts, and St. Maarten. The wind was 15, and we were 42 degrees off the wind.

I had a thought of what it would look like from inside. When I went in there on the counter were our glasses....JUST SITTING THERE! Half the wind speed at that angle, and that stable.......I was sold.

After negotiating price I came back, and spent a week on the boat with the ownera month later. We rounded St. Maarten, and came in between Barts & St. M under spinnaker, and we hit 18 knots My knees were weak with pleasure, and I was sure I bought the right boat
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:37   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The front opening fridge and large separate freezer. Sounds a bit crazy but the rest of the boat was ok.
Old 17-07-2008, 07:52   #8

The bilge. It looked like it had just come out of the mold, but the boat was 20+ years old. Not even a line on the ballast.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:37   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
what one feature, sold you on buying your boat?

What clinched the deal?
For the model it was the (relatively) low price for the capabilities and original build quality.

For the specific boat? Best condition I could find. and funnily enuf was also the cheapest (albeit the untidiest - which she still is )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:42   #10
Kai Nui

For us, each boat we have owned, felt like home when we went aboard the first time. That was the deciding factor. There was one exception, and it reinforced the point.
Old 21-07-2008, 15:20   #11

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've owned two pocket cruisers, both of which I sailed to the Bahamas. Two things I knew I needed were standing headroom and shallow draft. Not a whole lot of boats at 26-feet offer both.

For my current boat, i wanted one I could charter to get income from and not have the insurance, storage and maintenance costs of traditional ownership.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 09:07   #12

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
When we buy our cruising yacht, some of us go thru pages of checklists, research and inspections before making that major decision to buy a yacht that will become a big part of our life.

We all have a list of reasons why we made that choice.

What I am curious about is…..if you think back…..what one feature, sold you on buying your boat?

What clinched the deal?

I like to sail (there's a surprise ) but I'm somewhat ambivalent to the general boat type. I like the heel of monos (when it’s moderate or for a short duration), the stability of cats, the ease of a sloop, the performance of a cutter, and the flexibility of ketch. I like pilothouses and center cockpits but have mostly had time on aft cockpits. It was a hard choice. But the key point for me it the trip -- the vehicle is secondary.

What I did was compile a list of designs I like. Some I had been on – some I hadn’t. That left me with about eight or so to choose from. Had I looked harded I am sure I could have found several more.

To answer your question directly, the feature that cinched it for me was value. Notice I didn’t say price. I would rather spend 300k$ for a boat worth 800k$ than 10k$ for a boat worth 12k$.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 09:27   #13

Boat: Tartan 40
For me, it was about the look and feel of the boat at the right price. Solid sailing, pretty lines, and a classic all sold me on my boat. Then the fact that it had good sails and a new Yanmar with 65 hours on it, all for under 16K- I was sold.
By buying a boat well below my price range (which I think EVERYONE should do), I was able to reupholster, re-Awlgrip hull and decks (DIY) without flinching.

Now I have a boat that is a joy to sail in any weather, which turns heads all the time. Can't beat that!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 10:18   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
size- something big enough to be comfortable, small enought to sail single or short handed, center cockpit. And something I could pay for without a loan.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 20:21   #15

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
I Dont know everytime I fine one I like I cant get insurance on it, The fist was a tri second was a owner built and this week is one made in uk but the Australian insurance dont have them listed as a reliable builder so I where told no insurance. The next one I fine that a can get insurance on thats the one thing!!!
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote