Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 08:33   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!
Cleaning, Compound Rubbing, and Waxing

Hi All,

It's time to clean the boat and remove the oxidation from the hull and topsides. This will be my first time to perform these chores. I don't know where to start, especially since I think that it might take place over a week's time (maybe more....).

Step 1 - Clean the boat. This seems pretty simple. However, should I clean the entire boat all at once? If so, then do I need to do the compound rubbing at the same time? I was hoping to do one side, then the other, and then the topsides.

Step 2 - Rubbing compound. The hull is self-explanatory. However, there is a lot of oxidation on the deck. Do I just rub the non-slip areas?

Step 3 - Waxing. Do I need to wax immediately or can I wait a week? How long is too long? I think that I should not wax the non-slip areas of the deck, but how about the other areas?

I am probably making this out to be more than I should, but it looks like a lot of work even for a small boat like mine and want to do it right. Only once (at least for this year...)!

Thanks!
Kevin
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 13:51   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18
Re: Cleaning, Compound Rubbing, and Waxing

I like to add work to my list so I wet sand then compound and wax
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 14:05   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

You want to wash before you compound because you don't want to be grinding dirt into the gelcoat. So only wash what you're going to compound that day.

How you approach this and what your actual procedure is and what products you use is largely a function of what condition the gelcoat is in. If it's chalked enough that rubbing your hand against it leaves white residue on your fingers, you're probably going to want to wet sand it first, then advance to finer and finer grit polishers (compound is essentially a coarse grit polish). The general rule is to use the least aggressive regimen that can effectively restore the finish, but wet sanding is a whole lot less work than compounding if done right and with fine enough paper you can skip compounding entirely.

If you do end up wet sanding, make sure you use a soft back pad or use sanding sponges with a pad to get an even uniform surface.

You don't need to wax right away, particularly if you polish to a high shine, but if you wait you'll probably want to wash again before you wax.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 14:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If you do a little searching on the forum you will find some great threads about restoring the gel coat finish.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 14:27   #5

No, you are not making more out of it than you should. To get good results, you have to do it right. The right compounds, paired with the right pads, and the right tool. It all matters.

For a comprehensive set of instructions, check out MaineSail. Those of us who have followed his instructions have to warn people not to look directly at our boats.

I don't recall if he has his instructions on this forum, but they're definitely available on Sailnet.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 16:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
No, you are not making more out of it than you should. To get good results, you have to do it right. The right compounds, paired with the right pads, and the right tool. It all matters.

For a comprehensive set of instructions, check out MaineSail. Those of us who have followed his instructions have to warn people not to look directly at our boats.

I don't recall if he has his instructions on this forum, but they're definitely available on Sailnet.

WOW! What a wealth of information. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 16:42   #7

Glad you found it. I've done three boats following his instructions to the letter, a 23, ,28, and a 31. All with excellent results.

MaineSail's instructions are pure gold, as are all his articles on boat maintenance. Don't miss: https://marinehowto.com
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:43   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclancy View Post
Hi All,

It's time to clean the boat and remove the oxidation from the hull and topsides. This will be my first time to perform these chores. I don't know where to start, especially since I think that it might take place over a week's time (maybe more....).

Step 1 - Clean the boat. This seems pretty simple. However, should I clean the entire boat all at once? If so, then do I need to do the compound rubbing at the same time? I was hoping to do one side, then the other, and then the topsides.

Step 2 - Rubbing compound. The hull is self-explanatory. However, there is a lot of oxidation on the deck. Do I just rub the non-slip areas?

Step 3 - Waxing. Do I need to wax immediately or can I wait a week? How long is too long? I think that I should not wax the non-slip areas of the deck, but how about the other areas?

I am probably making this out to be more than I should, but it looks like a lot of work even for a small boat like mine and want to do it right. Only once (at least for this year...)!

Thanks!
Kevin
If they still make the old style Vista car wax, tan in color, it's a one shot operation. Compound and wax in one application.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01   #9

Boat: Oyster 53

Welcome to the forum kclancy,

I just recently purchased a 32 year old boat that had never been in the water. That's right, on the hard still in its original cradle.
The deck and hull were terribly oxidized from sitting out in the weather. I first cleaned the boat with general boat soap to get the major dirt off. I then purchased 3M's Marine Compound and Marine Wax as well as a good compounding pad and waxing pad; they are different and 3M sells very good ones as well. I don't recall if it was on this forum or another but make sure to purchase a wax free and silicone free compound. Very, very important for strong positive results. I also purchased a variable speed buffer with a low speed of 600rpm and a high speed of 3500rpm. This is also very important so as to not sling the compound every where when applying. I started each section by applying the compound to the buffer pad and then at the lowest speed applying to the hull. I followed by increasing the speed to 1600rpms and buffed until the haze was gone. Once the haze was gone I continued at 2500 rpms to really bring out the shine. Basically I followed their application directions to the tee and came away with a hull that gleams and reflects like glass. The wax leaves a wet look like a brand new boat.

Give it a shot, I think you will be more than pleased.
89zorro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 15:33   #10

Hope this is useful:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...17&omhide=true
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 10:04   #11

Another link may be of some use:

Restoring Your Gelcoat | Cruising World
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:20   #12

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

3M makes a system of cleaners, abrasive compounds and polishing agents, as well as machine-based systems for handling the entire range of damaged surfaces. You might try these first to determine the appropriate strategy for your particular boat. Start with the simplest cleaner/wax combo, then progressively go up the scale of more aggressive cleaner compounds. If scratches remain, then read up on the instructions for how to use the various machine pads and compounds formulated to remove the more severely damaged sections. For deep scratches, consider gel-coat repair kits using tints to color match. You can even spray gelcoat with a small PreVail sprayer thinned with acetone. Don't forget to add the appropriate wax to allow the resin to "kick off". West Marine can order these products, as well as automotive refinishing suppliers.

Here are some videos:

These systems are specific for gelcoat hulls and linear polyurethane finishes. Be sure which is best for your needs.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 21:37   #13

Boat: 1971 Catalina 27 #140

Great thread. I'm researching what we should do with our new old boat. (Our first!) We have a 1971 Catalina 27 (#140). The deck is chalky, which is oxidization, no? She's in the water, and we want to spiff her up for our enjoyment (and bonding haha) best we can before winter.

So many options. Head spinning!
lavachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 22:31   #14
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclancy View Post
It's time to clean the boat and remove the oxidation from the hull and topsides.
Just a minor terminology issue here. You talk about hull and topsides. This has confused me a long time as well but 'topsides' are the area between where your bottom paint leaves off and your rub rail (might possibly include from the rubrail up too). It is NOT the part you walk on or deck.
I have yet to figure out how people do the million little corners that invariably obstruct the various deck fittings or for that matter how you would deal with antislip areas (I would think that you would not want to run the polisher over it). I must admit to having purchased the polisher, pads and compounds but have yet to get up the nerve or enthusiasm to use the bits in anger. My excuse is that the topsides were done every two years by the boat yard (at an exorbitant cost) and I really need to do the deck but am envisioning a long drawn out hand operation
The first thing that I really need to do is the bit above the rub rail and up to and including the stanchion bases <shudder> I have visions of a week for just that.
I suppose I could take all the stanchions off since they need rebedding but what happens a year down the road ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Just a minor terminology issue here. You talk about hull and topsides. This has confused me a long time as well but 'topsides' are the area between where your bottom paint leaves off and your rub rail (might possibly include from the rubrail up too). It is NOT the part you walk on or deck.
I have yet to figure out how people do the million little corners that invariably obstruct the various deck fittings or for that matter how you would deal with antislip areas (I would think that you would not want to run the polisher over it). I must admit to having purchased the polisher, pads and compounds but have yet to get up the nerve or enthusiasm to use the bits in anger. My excuse is that the topsides were done every two years by the boat yard (at an exorbitant cost) and I really need to do the deck but am envisioning a long drawn out hand operation
The first thing that I really need to do is the bit above the rub rail and up to and including the stanchion bases <shudder> I have visions of a week for just that.
I suppose I could take all the stanchions off since they need rebedding but what happens a year down the road ?
You're right JD about the terminology. I messed that up and only realized it after I posted. I still need to finish the deck.....

Tags
cleaning