Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 14:35   #16

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Circumnavigation Route through the Red Sea

Our circumnavigation included a trip up the Red Sea, and we had no problem, but there were others who came two days after us that were attacked by pirates from Yemen.

I don't know if I would do the same things again. We did it with our family, and if I was doing another circumnavigation, I would think long and hard before I did it.

The Red Sea Chronicles - A First Class Sailing Adventure.Â* Captain Dave.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oh, by the way, for people going down the red sea as opposed to up, buying semi auto shot guns in Turkey is/was easy. When I as there in 2010 all you had o do was present your passport. Then you need to chuck them overboard before Asia as they are not regustered in your home country.
well, I don't think I would play Rambo with pirates, but if I needed it, my style would be dropping some grenades off from a remotely controlled drone
nulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Am I reading this right? It sounds like you're trying to do your circumnavigation backwards. You go up the red sea in a circumnavigation, not down it.
Yeah, I want to go down, I am tracing my own route, because I want to see Europe first.
nulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:09   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
Yeah, I want to go down, I am tracing my own route, because I want to see Europe first.

you can go either way,using either the sw monsoon going to asia from the med after may untill October,quite a rough trip as it blows 40knots at the height of the monsoon.

or coming from asia leaving in January with the ne monsoon,arriving in the med april- may.

I have done it both ways to asia,and down to madagasgar in November-dec from the med,returning in april- may to the med,7 times in total.

though I would recommend looking very carefully at the piracy reports,as the incidence of "ATTEMPTED" attacks has not dropped much,but the incidence of "SUCESSFUL" attacks and "HIJACKINGS" has dropped as ships are now using armed guards onboard,something that yachts do not have the luxuary of doing......the small boats are still out there,and as a yacht you are an easy target.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:57   #20

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
You are going to spend years pounding upwind the wrong way because you want to do Europe first? Why don't you do Europe first and then go West like every body else from Europe? If you were just going to SE Asia I could see why your route might make some sense (other than the pirates), but you said you want to go around the world, right? What route are you considering for the rest of the route?

You haven't said much about your experience, but unless you've been crossing oceans for a long time, I think that you want to do some basic research into prevailing winds and currents, hurricane seasons, and the reasons that people go where and when they do.

You really don't want to just draw a line on a map on your wall and go for it. The routes in the ocean are there for good reasons and often don't make much sense when drawn on a map.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 13:36   #21

Boat: Currently Boatless!

The lower part of the Red Sea, the GoA and the Indian Ocean are all susceptible to piracy attack. I spent two years going back and forth all of them jumping from tanker to freighter to tugs and most other craft in between. I was a team leader for an armed security team! In these two years we were only attacked once but on the radio I'd heard many others, numerous mayday calls that seemed hopeless. The attack on us was unsuccessful though they did manage to release an RPG towards us.

The other thing to consider is that although there many be limited numbers of pirates and operational craft on the water, their intel is quite good. Though unconfirmed, it has long been believed that a lot lot of pirate int comes out from Djibouti, brothers, friends relatives etc. that pass on info for a small fee or a percentage of any paid ransom.

It is a vast area and can be easy to hide, or difficult to be randomly found. However, would you want to take that chance of being found? I have a long military career behind me so am not alien to arms but, would I sail my own boat through there even with any weapon of choice...unlikely!
Old 04-11-2014, 15:09   #22

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
The lower part of the Red Sea, the GoA and the Indian Ocean are all susceptible to piracy attack. I spent two years going back and forth all of them jumping from tanker to freighter to tugs and most other craft in between. I was a team leader for an armed security team! In these two years we were only attacked once but on the radio I'd heard many others, numerous mayday calls that seemed hopeless. The attack on us was unsuccessful though they did manage to release an RPG towards us.

The other thing to consider is that although there many be limited numbers of pirates and operational craft on the water, their intel is quite good. Though unconfirmed, it has long been believed that a lot lot of pirate int comes out from Djibouti, brothers, friends relatives etc. that pass on info for a small fee or a percentage of any paid ransom.

It is a vast area and can be easy to hide, or difficult to be randomly found. However, would you want to take that chance of being found? I have a long military career behind me so am not alien to arms but, would I sail my own boat through there even with any weapon of choice...unlikely!
Wow. Thank you for posting. Your first hand experience is very, very valuable.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 16:31   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
haha! Nice.

My boat was in the Red Sea over 20 years ago... different world back then....

Apart from the piracy issue its a bit of a doddle from the Gulf of Aden to Thailand in the NE monsoon.... it gets a bit more interesting after that.

Agreed re the OP.... do the Med and then back into the Atlantic and go west... or maybe SSW.......
Old 24-01-2015, 23:27   #24

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Some of you may be interested in this yachts sail through culf of Aden and up the suze canal over New Years , Tamarisk 'Round the World click on the Yemen section of blog
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 00:40   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I doubt there will be many now since Iran has taken over Yemen. Stuffed if I know what people will do who are heading that way now.

If they arrive in Oman from Thailand its one hell of a long trip back... And going direct to South Africa is not an option.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, route