Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 08:01   #31

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Circumnavigation - equipment and sailboat(budget)

For the life of me I am baffled why some feel compelled to urge complete novices to "just do it" without any thought to how many things that the advice giver already knows and seemingly doesn't value how important it is for the novice to know to manage to keep life and property and to avoid damaging others property and health. This won't change any minds of this sort in my experience but I find it irresponsible to the nth degree. I have personally known sailors that have been lost, or who have lost their boats, to a basic lack of knowledge and respect for the sea and boating skills.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 11:59   #32

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Circumnavigation - equipment and sailboat(budget)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Save yourself a lot of grief and don't read anymore of this thread. Use the Search function and read all the similar threads here and enjoy the grief those posters took instead, while still getting your answers as much as possible.

Good Luck!
What he said. And as a couple of starting points (with lots of included, wise, links contained in them), try;
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...is-153569.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-148171.html

Look up "Project Atticus", both the video series, & the blog.

Also, figure to spend 1/3 of your budget on the boat, 1/3 of it to outfit & refit her, & keep 1/3 in reserve... you'll wind up spending it on the latter task anyway.

Plus, here's a BIG bargain on knowledge.
www.bethandevans.com
SetSail
SetSail » Free Books
THIS is a Smokin Deal SetSail » Products It's knowledge that would take you 20+ years at sea, as a full time professional, to learn. For the price of taking a date out to dinner. SNAG IT.
I've got an on the water resume, & concurrent degrees to go with, not quite as deep as the Laurentian Abyss, & still find these books invaluable... after owning some of them for 2 decades.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, circumnavigation, equipment, men, navigation, sail, sailboat