Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 09:07   #16

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Circumnavigation - equipment and sailboat(budget)

Rant Alert!!!!!!!!!

I really really hate the notion of a "starter" boat/house/airplane ... whatever.

Today's starter boat was a world cruiser two decades ago. This whole ever-increasing ... EVERYTHING is annoying. And upsetting. And to what end? To pay more slip rent and go nowhere.

Now back to your regularly scheduled posting. And thank you.

End of rant notice.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 09:35   #17

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Circumnavigation - equipment and sailboat(budget)

I am well aware of the anecdotes of people who have decided to sail around the world, bought a boat and then did just that. While these are entertaining and encouraging to people everywhere, especially armchair sailors, they represent a statistically insignificant percentage of those people who are really sailing Round the World.

My wife and I are into our fifth year of our circumnavigation and have just recently crossed our halfway point. It has been a terrific experience but there have been enough times when we have had to tolerate uncomfortable situations that it makes it hard to recommend that people commit the time, effort and expense to this endeavor without a well-found boat of sufficient length properly equipped with functional safety equipment, the means to maintain everything and a developed knowledge of sailing.

Yes, I know that there are people who sail around the world in a sardine can and have a blast. I do not believe that is the real world and that the risks they take are extreme.

Sorry to rain on your parade. Asking what kind of boat you should buy to circumnavigate is indicative of a high level of naivete and my only recommendation would be to spend some time crewing on blue water passages prior to making any further decisions.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 09:47   #18

Where did he go ? Maybe he bought a boat and took off !
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 09:59   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Yes, I know that there are people who sail around the world in a sardine can and have a blast. I do not believe that is the real world and that the risks they take are extreme.
Define 'sardine can'?

I have people tell me it's suicide to cross an ocean on a 29' boat.
Nobody has been able to explain why tho, just "it's too small!" - which is only true by today's standards, where everything has to be bigger and we all seem to think bigger is better - from how much cola you get with your XL meal to the boat you buy.
Safety, IMHO, isn't something you can buy in length / feet.
Old 15-12-2015, 11:13   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Our budgetvis in the 50,000 range too. Over time and research I have concluded that "smaller" is the way to go for us.

1. More smaller boats are purchased as costal cruisers so the market is more competative. Better prices on very good condition boats.

2. Smaller boats are often more lightly used and often require less interior refurbishing. Thats a money saver.

3. Refitting and general maintenance is much less expensive. That means you are less likely to defer maintenance yourself.

4. A smaller boat forces you to consider priorities carefully. You wont be buying stuff you dont need out of habit.

As for not being safe - this is hogwash. A well maintained boat is always safer than one you cant aford to keep. Also, good seamanship and planning are much better strategies than crisis intervention because your ego is as big as your boat.

An easily handled boat will encourage you to sail and become a better sailor.

Caveats - a small boat means getting along with your crew. Like one another and practice respect!

You cant have the biggest dink with the fastest outboard. If this is important to you a small boat is not for you.

A small boat is also not for you if you envision your land life transported by boat.

Also, storage and tankage are often more limited. This means, perhaps, having to reprovision and refill tanks a little more often.

For us a small boat makes the most sense financially . we want to go ....not keep dreaming of the day when we finally can.

One thing to really think about: any boat you buy will need something to make it suitable for safe passages. It would be a kin the winning the lottery to find the perfect boat, that needs nothing for exactly your budget. Especially because 50,000 is not much!

Your best stategy might be to find the best boat you can for 1/2 to 2/3 your budget. Use the rest of your budget to bring the boat up to snuff.

This is doeable. But you will have to prioritize. Ugly upholstery is liveable. Bad rigging is not.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:29   #21

Boat: Swanson

the person asking this question is not ready for anything over 34 footer, also considering your budget.
Ideal 29 -32 only FG, Epirb, VHF, Sat phone/HF is nearly dead/ , basic plotter with build in charts, one hand held back up one, good stove. You learn as you go.
that is your budget , don't thing twice just do it...or you never go
Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:37   #22

Boat: Union cutter 33

Look for a 32ft contessa one of the best sailing boats built with blue water capabilities one for sale in belleville ont canada 42k all set up for traveling even has wind vane and no its not my boat..check out kijiji.ca
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 22:38   #23

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

In this budget range, I would suggest something like a Westsail 32. Something you'll have to consider and be careful off is that the bigger boat you get, the more expensive EVERYTHING will be when it comes to a refit...bigger sails cost more. A bigger engine is needed for a bigger boat. Standing/running rigging...replacing a wench. Everything will cost more on a bigger boat.
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 04:44   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

When I saw this boat online, I thought of this thread:

No Reserve Watkins 36 Bluewater Sailboat Offshore Equipped Diesel Autopilot | eBay

A lot of boat for very little money. Good location too (US east coast).
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 04:50   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Olson View Post
In this budget range, I would suggest something like a Westsail 32.
Like this:

Westsail 32 Sailboat | eBay

Asking $20,000. No bids. Located US east coast.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 05:10   #26
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyVandura View Post
............. and I seek some tips. Appreciate every answer.
Save yourself a lot of grief and don't read anymore of this thread. Use the Search function and read all the similar threads here and enjoy the grief those posters took instead, while still getting your answers as much as possible.

Good Luck!
Old 23-12-2015, 05:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
When I saw this boat online, I thought of this thread:

No Reserve Watkins 36 Bluewater Sailboat Offshore Equipped Diesel Autopilot | eBay

A lot of boat for very little money. Good location too (US east coast).

Funny, I was the one who purchased the Watkins. First trip will be down and around FL to her new (hopefully temporary ) home in Destin, FL.
YoungSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:09   #28

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Well, by any definition you are naive and under-knowledgeable, but, you can do it if you really keep at it - and just do it. You might also just die, like we all could tomorrow or the next day. This is serious stuff and statistically most who start don't finish. But is is possible, just harder with a small budget and a smaller boat. But small boats have routinely done it before and still will.

Example: The Albin Vega 27 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas......
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 11:02   #29

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Woke up today to the local just do it kid on an AV27 aground near the beach aft of me. He dragged through the entire anchorage last night as we all slept. Missed everyone.

He said bumping the bottom woke him up. With a little advice and the help of a livaboard and his dighy he is safely back at anchor smack in the middle of the anchorage.

I'm sure he will be receiving some lecturing on anchoring in the next few days.

Also, he was lucky as he could have been pinned against the concrete fishing pier in 18 knot winds in his no engine Vega.
Just do it...... but acquire a big anchor and substantial rode.
Old 23-12-2015, 14:34   #30

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The ideal size cruising sailboat is 10' bigger than whatever you happen to be on when the weather goes to hell.

Tags
budget, circumnavigation, equipment, men, navigation, sail, sailboat