Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2014, 07:22   #16

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: Christmas in the Cribbean

I think we'll be down in the Tobago Cays. Someone said salt water bay is really nice. Look more like beach bar rather than big parties.

Got the charging sorted. It was set (at factory) to the wrong battery type. Will keep an eye on them now to make sure no damage.

Will defo post about med vs Caribbean. So far biggest difference is everyone seems a little more freaked about about their safety. There's been a break in (bat cave) and a few muggings here in St Lucia but I'm sure it's like that in the med as well. Can't wait to explore here though really does feel like another world compared to where we've been sailing so far.

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:01   #17

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hello Simon,

I had the same problem.. wrongly set parameters on my smart charger. Cooked all 4 of my house batteries in record time.

I hope this did not happen to you. The "sparky" who set my charger never recognised his **.... I let all my mates in the YC know of his error.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 10:57   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
So far biggest difference is everyone seems a little more freaked about about their safety. There's been a break in (bat cave) and a few muggings here in St Lucia but I'm sure it's like that in the med as well.
Nope; it's not like that in the Med. That's a big difference, and one you read about here on CF often. I think I've only ever heard of one boarding & that was off Algeria. I have never heard of any assaults in all the years we've been in the Med. Mind you, we've only been in the Balearics, but we talk to a lot of cruisers and I don't recall ever hearing of a mugging or boarding.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 14:47   #19

Boat: Oyster 55

Robberies and assaults by humans always get big news, and it is wise to be on guard wherever you are, but a growing problem throughout the Caribbean that has not gotten much attention in the news is assaults by mosquitos. One strain of mosquito has been transmitting a disease called chikungunya which came over from tropical Africa. I have first hand experience with it having contracted it in April in BVI. The initial sickness only lasts a few days but pain or stiffness in the joints can last for weeks, months, or even years. Protection is not difficult. You must use an insect repellent with at least 15% DEET in it. Don't worry about every mosquito bite you get. Most of them don't carry the disease. But don't be careless or indifferent about using the repellent.

Here is a link to information about chikungunya: Stealthy, Debilitating Disease Is Poised to Sweep the U.S. — NOVA Next | PBS.

I'm not afraid to return to the Caribbean, in fact I'm sailing BVI again in January. But DEET is on my "must have" list.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 14:56   #20

Boat: Oyster 55

[QUOTE=simonpickard;1703300]I think we'll be down in the Tobago Cays. Someone said salt water bay is really nice. Look more like beach bar rather than big parties.]

I think you are referring to Salt Whistle Bay on the north side of Mayreau. It's a lovely little bay with sandy beaches and a very good restaurant where each table is its own thatch roofed palapa. I hope that's still true; it has been several years since I was there. The Tobago Cays themselves are inside an enormous horseshoe reef which provides a beautiful anchorage with nothing but wind and waves between you and Africa.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 04:34   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Congratulations on the crossing Simon. We arrived in Martinique a week or so ahead of you. Currently there heading slowly north. We will probably be here or dominica for Chrissy and dominica or ile les saints for NYE. Be nice to catch up for a beer/rum/beer
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 10:58   #22

Boat: Hanse 385

Hey Monte! Congratulations!

We are heading south for Xmas / New Years and then North. We will be moving pretty quick as we're trying to get as high as Cuba so will keep in touch!

Do you have a tracker? We've got one on board so you can keep an eye on where we are. Hopefully we get a chance to meet up at last.

Please visit my blog:

simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, rib