Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2011, 22:10   #1

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Christmas Boat Parades

Who decks out there boat for lighted Christmas boat paraids and where?
We are decorating tomorrow
Old 19-11-2011, 23:22   #2

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Christmas Boat Parades

Let's take a moment to remember safety before going out on the boat parades.

Anthony DeWeese, rest in peace.

And, from a summer on the water event in 2006...

Lynn Thornton, rest in peace.
Old 20-11-2011, 10:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post

Unless these guy's drown doing a Christmas Boat paraid ?? THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HY-JACKED, START A NEW THREAD rgscpat

This thread is about putting Christmas lights on BOATS
Old 20-11-2011, 10:28   #4

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Don't think this was such a hijack, because:
Eight-year-old Anthony DeWeese and his family had been on a boat watching San Diego's December 20, 2009, Parade of Lights when their boat was struck by a 33-ft. Coast Guard boat traveling at high speed and Anthony was killed. NTSB and Coast Guard investigation subsequently blamed the CG crew (traveling at high speed at night in a crowded area and using cell phones).

Although this was shocking and atypical, one of the hazards for holiday light parades and other night time events where large numbers of boats gather is a lot of chaotic, sometimes high-speed traffic around the event, aggravated often by holiday drinking and night-time navigation.

Christmas light parades of course have generators that generate some noise that can distract the skipper and potentially dangerous fumes, plus of course putting out plenty of electricity. And, the parade lights and decorations on the boat can make navigating and watching out for other boats much tougher.

We don't want holiday light parades to get a reputation for danger, so it is appropriate to take a moment to think through any possible problems before they happen. Organizers and skippers should be extra careful. Otherwise, holiday light parade organizers might decide the parades aren't worth the liability risk and the Grinch will stop the parade.
Old 20-11-2011, 10:39   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

We usually never miss a year but this year I have the boat cover all buttoned up and some tenting built underneath for gelcoat repairs. Too much trouble to remove. It'll be the first year we've missed in at least ten years. My wife is pissed...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 10:57   #6

Quote:
Don't think this was such a hijack, because:
Eight-year-old Anthony DeWeese and his family had been on a boat watching San Diego's December 20, 2009, Parade of Lights when their boat was struck by a 33-ft. Coast Guard boat traveling at high speed and Anthony was killed. NTSB and Coast Guard investigation subsequently blamed the CG crew (traveling at high speed at night in a crowded area and using cell phones).

Although this was shocking and atypical, one of the hazards for holiday light parades and other night time events where large numbers of boats gather is a lot of chaotic, sometimes high-speed traffic around the event, aggravated often by holiday drinking and night-time navigation.

Christmas light parades of course have generators that generate some noise that can distract the skipper and potentially dangerous fumes, plus of course putting out plenty of electricity. And, the parade lights and decorations on the boat can make navigating and watching out for other boats much tougher.

We don't want holiday light parades to get a reputation for danger, so it is appropriate to take a moment to think through any possible problems before they happen. Organizers and skippers should be extra careful. Otherwise, holiday light parade organizers might decide the parades aren't worth the liability risk and the Grinch will stop the parade.
Thanks for explaining be safe
Old 20-11-2011, 11:06   #7

Boat: Irwin sloop

I've participated in quite a few. Puget Sound seems to be quite active regarding lighted boat parades. Anderson Islanders decorate their boats and cruise around the island while the folks ashore watching, flash lights at the parade to participate. Clubs in Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Bremerton, Seattle and Port Townsend parade on different nights so they can join each other. It can be lots of fun and there's always a party afterward.
Remember not to impede your night vision with lights, and pfd's for those on deck is always a good idea. If the Skipper does a good job everyone stays safe and has a great time.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 11:19   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

We never took our own boat out for the parade in the 10 years we lived aboard in San Diego. Rather, due to copious amounts of alcohol being consumed on other boats, we were the designated driver, ate well and had a great time. It relieved the owners of concerns that might arise if there was a problem and the concern about being a congenial host/hostess. I recall it being very evident which vessels were being driven by those who were drinking and those who were not. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 22:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Year before last, we won the parade in Corpus Christi. Here's the photos from when we did this:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...won-33924.html

Note that we no longer put Xmas lights on the boat. It seems that they use steel for wiring, and little tiny pieces of steel wire seem to shed, staining the deck. Since our deck is newly painted...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 23:21   #10

About 3 Years ago, West marine had some 12v LED lights that were insanely cheap. I think I paid like $9.99 for them, but that may have been employee pricing I just don't remember.

But they don't have them anymore, and the lights went with the boat when my ex and I split.

Does anyone have a source for some decent 12v LED xmas lights?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 06:42   #11

Boat: Watkins 27
Wife and I our going to be in this years Christmas Boat Parade in Venice, FL. Our first time, kids are excited, should be fun.
gpdno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 06:44   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

We have plenty of threads about safety. Why can't we talk about boat parades?

I'm going very simple. I'm making sides of sleighs from furring strips and chicken wire. I'm going to get two sets of lights designed to go over bushes, and put them over the frame. Then a few other little touches, maybe lighted candy canes along the stanchions, and I'm done.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 14:17   #13

Boat: Watkins 27

This was the first year we had our boat in the Venice Boat Parade. One of the local newspapers took a cool shot of us passing under the Albee Road Bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2575063.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	34400  
gpdno is offline   Reply With Quote