Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2013, 17:06   #76

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

..."very very dead"...is that like a little/almost pregnant?

Mauritz
The devil is in the details!

Old 19-08-2013, 17:14   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
..."very very dead"...is that like a little/almost pregnant?

Mauritz
The devil is in the details!
Given a choice I would prefer very, very dead to kinda dead. Never was one to do things halfway.

Old 19-08-2013, 17:36   #78

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Your perfect boat search begins and ends with the "Flying Hawaiian". Sorry DOJ but this goat avoids being written up in books like the plague.
Goat
Old 19-08-2013, 17:43   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Your perfect boat search begins and ends with the "Flying Hawaiian". Sorry DOJ but this goat avoids being written up in books like the plague.
Goat
Like the plague? Well if you end up making the right suggestion you'll actually end up being in the book as promised.

Although not with that one I'm afraid... Except of course that the Flying Hawaiian seems to be a mine of good stories
Flyin' Hawaiian sailboat builder jailed after fight with Loch Lomond harbor master - Marin Independent Journal
Old 21-08-2013, 06:37   #80

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Dee B:

The heroine would probably not choose a Valiant 40, because of their record of getting rolled over; although, that could add a plot twist if you wanted it to.
I've never heard of a Valiant being rolled, ever...and saying there is a "record" implies that it has happened frequently enough to be a commonly accepted weakness of the design. Not saying it hasn't happened, but it's certainly not part of the boat's legacy (like Uniflite blister boats) or something I've heard from anyone in the Valiant community. Do you have any more information on this? I'm really curious.
Old 21-08-2013, 06:55   #81
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
As an aside you have to recognise your demographic as well - this book isn't targeting the sailing community so you only have to substantively correct.

However there are some interesting considerations for your protagonists journey that are important to the remainder of the book with regards to timing.

Weather and the time of year play a much larger role than the boat of choice and need to be considered. You can't just sail off into the pacific whenever you choose, there are hurricanes out there. There is also the ITCZ to consider. ITCZ = Inter Tropical Convirgence Zone. It is the bane of all "South Pacific" Sailors. The ITCZ is an weather boundary that is constantly moving north and south and at the boundary are significant weather events; thunderstorms with crazy lightening, strong variable winds, rain etc. many a yacht has left a paradise island cove to seek better shelter when the reports speak of the ITCZ shifting their direction.

Even if this is a short section in your book perhaps you should consider the weather in the pacific as you would a main, but short lived, character - it plays a dominant role in the lives of all sailors. Google ITCZ and maybe check into the Pacific Puddle Jumpers yahoo page as there is some fascinating reading about the ITCZ and its capriciousness - it plays well as an antagonist.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:26   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Even if this is a short section in your book perhaps you should consider the weather in the pacific as you would a main, but short lived, character - it plays a dominant role in the lives of all sailors. Google ITCZ and maybe check into the Pacific Puddle Jumpers yahoo page as there is some fascinating reading about the ITCZ and its capriciousness - it plays well as an antagonist.
Yes, I have read about it a little and most definitely need to find out more. It has been referred to in some of the long (or short) passage accounts I have come across so far.
Thanks for pointing out its importance.

Joining this forum was a good move. It's fantastic to have so many different inputs on so many aspects of such a journey and so far I've only asked about the boat!
Old 22-08-2013, 07:36   #83

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Choosing the perfect boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You're wasting both your time and ours. If you want to do research on sailing/cruising, get off the internet and get out on a boat.

No one has ever learned to sail, let alone cruise, by surfing the web.
While this is harshly put, it has some truth to it that the OP should heed.

My brother in law is a very successful writer, and years ago one of his first novels was about an internet start up that served as the backdrop for some sort of intrigue. Since I had worked in the internet start up world for a number of years, he sent me a copy as one of his "technical readers."

By the time I was 25 pages into reading it, it was clear that the writer had not only never worked in a start up, but had never even worked in an office. He didn't understand how it was possible I could pull that from the book so quickly, so he had a few other people with backgrounds similar to mine read it. Short of it is he scrapped the book.

Sailing is a knowledge, skill, and experience intensive pursuit, full of jargon, best practices, and ingenuity-driven solutions. I can't think of another "sport" where someone's lack of familiarity would surface faster in fiction.

The OP would do well to volunteer as a crew member on a few blue water voyages. Not only would it be fun, but the details, knowledge, and perhaps more than anything else the sensory memories that you would gather would provide a virtually invaluable gold mine for the writing process.

The outline of the book very broadly reminds me of Liz Clark's voyage on Swell:

Liz Clark and the Voyage of Swell
Old 22-08-2013, 08:22   #84

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

If you are looking for a boat which has proven single handed capability, is fast , has room for an extra person or two, and finance is not an issue, there is only one boat. Club Med.

That would make for an interesting story.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: