Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

Ladies onboard!

Gentlemen, dress up! Ungentlemen, out!

;-)

Hugs,
b.

Old 17-08-2013, 09:16   #32

To help choose the right boat, knowing the main character better would make it a lot easier. Is the experienced sailor rich? Poor? Or something in between. Is he or she adventurous? A risk taker? Thoughtful and thorough? Has he or she owned other boats? If so, what kind? Does he or she have racing blood or cruising blood?

The more we know about the sailing-related characteristics of the main character, the easier it will be to whittle down the list to something manageable.

Old 17-08-2013, 09:27   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

If the owner is French, the boat is likely to be light, fancy and airy. Rather fast and modern.

If the owner is German, the boat will be a kruzer and thjere will be spares for everything and plenty of tools onboard.

... ;-)

But you can place say a French delivery crew on a German owned boat and thus get some extra comedy points from that!

If her owner is from Iceland, her name will be the Unpronounceable and written in bold runes ... ;-)

b.
Old 17-08-2013, 10:35   #34

ROFLMAO !
Beat me to it.

Swedestar or Pogoboat if she wants to incorporated Piracy in her storyline.
You surly have to either wait until your next lifetime, or steal it to get either ! ;>))

Or maybe a 'genius' could, and would design their own ?
Twin 100hp turbo Betas in mine ;>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If the owner is French, the boat is likely to be light, fancy and airy. Rather fast and modern.

If the owner is German, the boat will be a kruzer and thjere will be spares for everything and plenty of tools onboard.

... ;-)

But you can place say a French delivery crew on a German owned boat and thus get some extra comedy points from that!

If her owner is from Iceland, her name will be the Unpronounceable and written in bold runes ... ;-)

b.
Old 17-08-2013, 10:45   #35

Boat: Valiant 40

A Valiant, of course. But then again I'm biased. But based on your criteria:

- Big enough to be comfortable for two, yet easily, if properly equipped, to single-hand
- 150 gallons of water tankage, 100 gallons of fuel
- A near perfect balance of performance and sea-kindliness.
- Built like a tank. You can pick up a 20+ year-old example that is still rock solid

If you're looking at a newer boat, then I'd suggest looking at an Outbound.

Of course, all this depends on what your budget is...

More on the Valiant, just google "Valiant 40" or "Valiant 42" (a later evolution)...it's a storied boat and there is plenty of material on it.
Old 17-08-2013, 11:22   #36
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
A Valiant, of course. But then again I'm biased. But based on your criteria:

- Big enough to be comfortable for two, yet easily, if properly equipped, to single-hand
- 150 gallons of water tankage, 100 gallons of fuel
- A near perfect balance of performance and sea-kindliness.
- Built like a tank. You can pick up a 20+ year-old example that is still rock solid

If you're looking at a newer boat, then I'd suggest looking at an Outbound.

Of course, all this depends on what your budget is...

More on the Valiant, just google "Valiant 40" or "Valiant 42" (a later evolution)...it's a storied boat and there is plenty of material on it.
Yes the Op will find them in the med, I mean there everywhere !!! ,

OP just get a AWB prepare it and head off , its not difficult. The boat doesn't really matter that much , once it meets your basic criteria

Dave
Old 17-08-2013, 13:15   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
The one to suggest the boat that is chosen for the story gets a dedicated copy of the book, anyone else who offers helpful comments will be included in the acknowledgements
Pretty much anything in between 35 -45 foot would be in the ballpark, likely budget the reason for 35 instead of 45........but in this case I would settle on 40 foot. Perfectly doable by one (if set up with a few tweaks).

For boat make I would go for a Beneteau - very mainstream, but nothing wrong with that (and half a chance some of your readers will either have heard of them or even have at least chartered on Vacation......it's the Ford of boats, and nothing wrong with that).

Exact model? I dunno they all look the same to me

Beneteau 40

Blue Water Sailing

The big plus with going mainstream is that lots of pics online as lots of boats sold (and always for sale), so you have lots of reference material on layout (albeit even same models do vary) - both for when you want to be accurate, and when you want to know when taking liberties! Plus likely a fair few owners blogs on travels 2 up, in similar style of boats (40 foot of modern plastic all much the same on what happens).

Can you dedicate the book to "Don" with the words "Should have bought a Beneteau" ........I will PM you his address later .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 14:04   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
You could also read the Keeping Watch topic.
Yes, I am already in fact at the moment I'm spending more time reading than writing, which is very good and very bad.

I think I need to mention that although the sea is omnipresent in the story, the actual journey I am currently researching for represent a relatively small portion of the novel. I want to get it exactly right, which is why I am spending so much time on research, but to answer the many plot-related concerns that have been expressed about believability: this isn't solely a sailing story. Undertaking such a project whilst having close to zero first-hand experience would be both stupid and arrogant. I like to think that, at least most of the time, I like to keep clear of both.

Thanks to everyone about the continued support. I appreciate it immensely.
Old 17-08-2013, 14:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I appreciate the fact that the OP is doing "research", however, I find it difficult to do her "homework" for her only because she asked the question.

There are, at last count, 5,118 posts on just the General Forum under fleets. It would seem to be prudent to ask the OP if she's read all of the them before even beginning to answer this question.

As many have stated before, on this and other boating forums, many of these kind of "What's the best...?" (of anything) have been asked & answered so many times that many of us have applied the use of links to earlier discussions to avoid having the retype the same material over and over again.

Good luck in your research, I'd take a Pacific Seacraft... or the Oyster, or the HR...

Oh, here's another example or a bit of "research" so she doesn't have to do HER OWN "homework"

A Decent "Bluewater Boat" List
Stu, the little bit of what you see is not the whole of what is. So as for how much homework I'm doing, you know nothing. This particular book has been YEARS in the making. I could make you a double A4-sized list of the subjects I've been researching for this story alone.
I am very, very grateful to the people who do decide to jump in and give their time to help, really. Those who don't want to answer any of my questions are very welcome to stay away from my threads. Cheers.
Old 17-08-2013, 14:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
To help choose the right boat, knowing the main character better would make it a lot easier. Is the experienced sailor rich? Poor? Or something in between. Is he or she adventurous? A risk taker? Thoughtful and thorough? Has he or she owned other boats? If so, what kind? Does he or she have racing blood or cruising blood?

The more we know about the sailing-related characteristics of the main character, the easier it will be to whittle down the list to something manageable.
Okay, fair comment.
The thing is, the character does not choose her boat. She inherits it from someone with a pretty much unlimited budget who, for a number of reasons, wants her to complete this particular journey successfully and as quickly as possible. They would be looking out for her safety yet aware of her unusual sailing talents and probably looking to challenge her a little. At the time the boat is purchased for her (she doesn't know about it until she finds out that she has to make the journey) whether she'll be accompanied is not known, which is why the boat has to be rigged so it can be sailed solo but still able to accommodate two.

I hope this helps.
Old 17-08-2013, 14:55   #41

I am curious as to why no-one is mentioning multihulls?
Old 17-08-2013, 15:22   #42

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Dee! SINGLE boat handling of a catamaran...across the Pacific Ocean...is as rare as chicken's teeth; size matters! That's probably why, no one has mentioned it!

Mauritz
Knows all, sees all...ONLY a Dullah!
Old 18-08-2013, 07:51   #43

Quote:
Okay, fair comment.
The thing is, the character does not choose her boat. She inherits it from someone with a pretty much unlimited budget who, for a number of reasons, wants her to complete this particular journey successfully and as quickly as possible. They would be looking out for her safety yet aware of her unusual sailing talents and probably looking to challenge her a little. At the time the boat is purchased for her (she doesn't know about it until she finds out that she has to make the journey) whether she'll be accompanied is not known, which is why the boat has to be rigged so it can be sailed solo but still able to accommodate two.

I hope this helps.
Okay, that helps a lot. There's a huge difference between someone buying a boat for themselves and someone buying it with intentions of using it as part of a mission that they will send someone else on.

Your comment takes me away from the proven bluewater builders to a race oriented boat such as those used for single handed circumnavigations. But most of those boats are not smallish.

Abbey Sunderland, the teenage girl who attempted a circumnavigation, sailed a 40' boat that had previously competed in an Open 40 circumnavigational race. The Open 40 could be a great boat that would offer speed and certainly those exciting moments that I could see keeping the reader on the edge of their seat. And the French love them!

Class40

There's a 2003 for sale right now on Yachtworld that is located in France. It's sparse below and certainly not a comfy cruiser, but it's fast. You can see the pics on the link. I can see the "gifter" taking the skills of the woman sailor and challenging her with the quest in a boat like this being very believable.

Here's a video from an Open 40:
Old 18-08-2013, 08:03   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dee B:

The heroine would probably not choose a Valiant 40, because of their record of getting rolled over; although, that could add a plot twist if you wanted it to.
Old 18-08-2013, 08:05   #45
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Choosing the perfect boat

Quote:
Grant, I am not pretending to be anything other than a writer doing research and asking experienced people for help. Sorry about the confusion, I thought I was being pretty clear.
If you don't agree with the approach that's completely okay too. I'll take advice and expertise where it's freely given.
You're wasting both your time and ours. If you want to do research on sailing/cruising, get off the internet and get out on a boat.

No one has ever learned to sail, let alone cruise, by surfing the web.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: