Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 03:40   #16

Re: Choosing the correct boat

Thanks for all the replies and advice, cheers
Hot Sausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:16   #17

Boat: Niagara 35

I would strongly recommend chartering a few cats.

I normally advocate learning to sail and manage a boat by buying a 26-30' older, cheaper boat before buying your "forever boat." However, if you've been powerboating for a long time and are set on getting a big cat, then you can probably make the jump fairly well.

I still wouldn't do it without spending extensive time (at least a few days) on a few different cats to understand what you do and don't like about them before buying your final boat.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:54   #18

Sailing in the Caribbean where most distances are short and you can get very good forcasts is not the same as crossing oceans where you can choose the weather on the day you leave and you you deal with what comes up. I have walked around the big Lagoons and they sure are roomy. The 3rd floor steering station would work pretty nice in the BVI's but according to my very experienced Cat owner and delivery skipper friend they are terrible offshore in a blow.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 14:12   #19

Having come from the powerboat world with a flybridge, it's a nice place to be for visibility in congested waters. Offshore it's typically the autopilot doing the steering. Not sure about that particular model but if you can get a bimini with side curtains, I wouldn't worry about it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:56   #20

Wow now I don't know which way with all the advice, I do know I want a catamaran, what about going a little smaller then say a 440 Lagoon. I do prefer the center helm and being able to see around the boat, Valhalla you sound confident, CWYCKHAM made a good suggestion but I think it's going to be difficult to try a few boats, it seems they are not built for rough seas, why?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:14   #21

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sausage View Post
Wow now I don't know which way with all the advice, I do know I want a catamaran, what about going a little smaller then say a 440 Lagoon. I do prefer the center helm and being able to see around the boat, Valhalla you sound confident, CWYCKHAM made a good suggestion but I think it's going to be difficult to try a few boats, it seems they are not built for rough seas, why?
i am sure L 44 is fine. It is the most selling cat in this size so you cant go wrong much.

Maybe your issue will be size. It is a big boat and there is lots to maintain. Each bottom scraping will be massive task.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:46   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Choosing the correct boat

Quote:
If you have the funds then converting the 440-450 to an all weather boat.. should not be to hard to fit a second electronic helm station in the saloon.. starboard side. and with winches with lines led to the cockpit.. then just rig for the trip..
Island hopping/daysail/docking.. use the flybridge set up..
Crossing oceans.. switch lines to the cockpit and enable the second helm.. it does not have to be a big wheel.. joystick steering and linked AP control would be sufficient.
And.. reef down before sunset..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:12   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Because the charter market is profitable. Most charter customers have very different needs and expectations than cruisers.

Building for blue water capability is a much smaller market.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:09   #24

Thank you, your advice is well noted, maintenance is no problem, I prefer doing it all myself, from hot water cylinder change out to crankshaft main oil seals, there are a few Lagoon 440 owner versions on the market, what should I be looking for, are there any updated modifications in this range that would suite long distance sailing?
Old 16-07-2016, 22:43   #25

"Avoid any boat with an exposed helm station or a helm station on the cabin top. One day or night of sailing in the rain or a long sunny day will make you appreciative of a sheltered helm station."

appreciative of a sheltered helm station like this I guess you mean.

When it is rough I find people prefer sitting up top at the helm in preference to being anywhere else. If we all liked the same thing there would only need to be one style so literally it's whatever floats your boat.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 07:54   #26

The 450 is a really large feeling Cat. They are the cats ass at anchor, I'm sure you could get 40 people on for a party. Perfect design for the Caribbean or Med and perfect for charter as well. Not my idea of an offshore boat but hey if you stick to the lower latitudes and you get lucky I'm sure you'll do just fine.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote