Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 17:29   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
Choosing Sails

I am new to sailing and just bought a 2006 Hunter 33 and it needs a Roller furling headsail.

Ive been searching around and theres so many options its very confusing on what to get

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thank You
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 17:37   #2

Re: Choosing Sails

Mack sails from Fort Lauderdale area great product great people
triokp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 20:11   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Where are you located? What kind of sailing do you do? Do you know any local sailors that can help you out?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:25   #4

Boat: Hunter 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Where are you located? What kind of sailing do you do? Do you know any local sailors that can help you out?
Ive never sailed before but always wanted too. I bought the boat and its in Marathon FL now and I live in Cape Coral. I was just going to motor it home from Marathon and maybe use the main if I feel comfortable with it.

I should have measured the sail when I surveyed the boat but didnt think of it (the mainsail is in like new condition)
My sailing plans would probably include learning here in SW Florida and probably getting down to the keys and Bahamas.

The broker is a sailor and has been very helpful im just trying to get a few opinions that might help me with a better decision

Thanks
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I am not a great fan of measuring your own boat, far better to get a local sail maker to measure it, then if there is a mistake well its his problem. But also they will take into account things like the position of the Genoa tracks so you can position the cars correctly for the new sail. There is also no guarantee that the existing sail is the correct size.

I suggest you have a chat with 3 local sail makers, but before you do, have a good read of CF because this question has come up regularly. Also worth having a read of this and a similar article on the Mack website:

Sanders Sails: Materials | Sailmaking, Sailmakers, Yacht Marine Upholstery, Dinghies, Boat Design | Lymington, South Coast, Hampshire

Its a UK website so you are unlikely to order from them, but its a good article of the different cloths available.

Armed with a few hours of research then chat to the local sail makers.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 15:36   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Just as a starting point, most non-racers are happy with a 135% or so crosscut dacron genoa, probably with a foam luff for reefing. If the clew is raised up a little, it helps with forward visibility. As suggested above, talk to a few sailmakers and find somebody you feel comfortable with. They can at least explain all the jargon I just unloaded on you.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 17:01   #7

You could check out the website for Bacon's Sails in Annapolis, MD. They should have measurements for your boat, maybe some used sails and estimates for new ones.
CaptChris376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 21:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChris376 View Post
You could check out the website for Bacon's Sails in Annapolis, MD. They should have measurements for your boat, maybe some used sails and estimates for new ones.

I second this!

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails