Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-01-2015, 00:32   #106

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Re: Choosing a boat for a Lifetime of Cruising..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes but for me the way he went in what regards sailing boats represents a failure that lead him to motorboats.

Today many of his age sail on fast big sailboats with a high degree of automatism with mechanical and hydraulic help. His boats were fast but demanding to sail and at some point he felt he had not the strength or the will to continue on that road and turned to motor boats.
Don't see that as a failure as his sailboats still are up there. A persons priorities change through their lifetimes. Like everyone he has strong opinions but unlike many he has lived them. He is without doubt a cruiser that has shaped designs.

He also demonstrated that his motorboat was faster in the ARC that the fastest sailboat. No ?

Old 01-01-2015, 03:24   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Thanks. I only hope that my engine lasts that long without a rebuild even if I don't believe it to be the case.

A good new year to you

When you add up the repairs I expect it has been rebuilt at least once! Albeit in small chunks! I believe that being an older engine-no computerisation-we are able to keep her running. We had tractors on the farm with similar basic diesel engines that were still going strong after 50 years, and they worked a lot harded than the boat engine ever does....

Happy New Year to you too.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:37   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I mentioned multi-hulls. Originally a mono-hulled sailor and since 1991 a cat sailor. Nought wrong with either - you pays your money, you takes your choice.
For me it is as near to being perfect as it gets, for others it shall not be. I am sure I would not go to the Artic/Antartic in the winter in my cat. However, I am confident in my cats ability in keeping us safe. For our type of sailing it fits as well as anything else - very slowly circumnavigating. Having four kids also influences our selection - I would otherwise be happy with a 38-40ft cat if the headroom suited (I am 6'6"). My wife is happy on a cat, my kids are also happy so therefore I am as well.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:15   #109

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
"Choosing a boat for a Lifetime of Cruising"

Why the assumption that you have to have one boat for your entire cruising and voyaging life? That's as crazy as having the same car, house and wants/needs for your lifetime....
The Cruisers that I came across that had their boats outfitted the "best" and that I looked up to for their knowledge and seamanship skills also didn't know what an internet chat room, blog, instagram, or Facebook account was. Oh sure they may have heard about them, but they were all too busy messing around with their boat...doing rather than talking.

We all here like the internet forum format, but we also have to realize that chat room sailors and cruisers (me included) are a self-selecting sample of folks and not necessarily a good sample of what I will call the "real world". Does that make us bad or something, no but it certainly doesn't make us always right, it's just who can type out what they think the best and takes the time to do it...which when you come to think about it...what does that skill set have to do with Cruising and Voyaging? Ah...nada maybe?

So what's point Rich? Easy...if you want to know what boats are out there Cruising and Voyaging, the best way is to get out there and look around the anchorages. I'm also willing to bet that the vast majority of them don't have 9000 posts on a cruising forum...
I agree. Meet several guys that circumnavigated, some several times and most of them they don't go to internet forums. And anyway a big percentage are Europeans, many French, many German and the ones that go to a boat forum probably will not go to a English speaking one.

For the ones that want to have a look at the boats the French use, this is their site, I mean the one dedicated to Long range cruising specifically:
https://dev.stw.fr/
(it is not working right now, overloaded on the 1st day of the year)

Regarding the boats that are out there, they are in fact the ones that are being used but if you ask to most of those sailors about their dream boat, the one they would like to have if they had the budget, it will be on most of the cases a different boat then the one that they are sailing. Those, the boats they dream to have but cannot afford would be probably the best boats for long range cruising and I bet that even so there will be very different choices.

A great new year to all.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:52   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
... Because opinions matter just as much, and maybe even More than the advice of experts and data. If you don't understand that, then you are either not married or have managed to find a wife that lets you ignore her
Yes, on a process of choosing a boat I show them to my wife, she evaluates the storage, the practicability, the interior comfort and then if approved it will go the list of possible options...never before.

I had some that I like a lot that did not have passed her examination even if for me they just look fine and are very appealing, for instance the Dragonfly 35 and the Pogo12.50. I tried to convince her but without success

I consider myself lucky for having a wife that likes to cruise on a sailboat and that does not impose her choices on me...otherwise I would be sailing a Southerly 42RS. She just limits mines.

Compromise are needed on a marriage and in what concerns me on the choice of the cruising boat but I have to say that I am lucky: I have friends that had their sailboats chosen by their wives and by the interior. Well, it is still better than sailing alone
Old 01-01-2015, 12:20   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Don't see that as a failure as his sailboats still are up there. A persons priorities change through their lifetimes. ..

He also demonstrated that his motorboat was faster in the ARC that the fastest sailboat. No ?
And what priorities are those? Motoring instead of sailing while cruising?

Big deal, motorboats are faster. Dashew made it in 10 days while the first sailing boat, a slightly smaller one, made it in 14 days wasting wasting 0L of diesel versus the several Tons of diesel wasted on the motorboat. Even if one those not care about ecology those Tons of diesel are expensive ...and the boat noisy.

The only explanation I can find for Dashew to turn to motorboats at an advanced age as to do with the impossibility to drive his big sailboats comfortably with that age and possibility also with the lack of comfort of sailing with a lot of heel (his narrow sailboats heeled a lot). He did not want to sail slowly or to cruise slowly and that is understandable. Maybe you can find others.

There are others developing big fast sailboats to be sailed by a very short crew and with very limited heel and the choices in design are quite opposing to the ones Dashew chose:

This is probably as fast on the trade winds as the Swan 80 that made it in 14 days and can be sailed by two with little effort. The interior is futuristic and certainly meets the owner tastes, not mine, but a more traditional big and nice interior could be featured on that boat. It would have also preferred a harm spot to steer the boat from the interior. Not difficult to design on a boat with this size.
Old 01-01-2015, 13:14   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re the JP54:

I'm sure that this boat would be a blast to sail, but that is the least comfortable or useful cockpit that I have ever seen. A total loss as a long term cruising boat from that one feature alone IMO. I shudder to think what the interior looks/feels like!

Jim
Old 01-01-2015, 13:41   #113

The JP54 looks like a quick boat. I agree with Jim about the cockpit. Canting keel and rotating interior parts add complexity that most cruisers would shy away from. For someone with deep pockets who wants to do an ARC or 2 it probably makes sense. Different for sure?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:07   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

This.

boat+life+cruising=life+boat+cruising?

b.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2015, 09:39   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Re the JP54:

I'm sure that this boat would be a blast to sail, but that is the least comfortable or useful cockpit that I have ever seen. A total loss as a long term cruising boat from that one feature alone IMO. I shudder to think what the interior looks/feels like!

Jim
I agree with you and I had already said that for me I would make the cabin and the cockpit differently but that has nothing to do with the hull or the stability characteristics or easiness to sail this type of boat solo.

That boat with that cockpit and small wind and water protection certainly suits the owner that is a younger more sportive, much better sailor than me and is used to that type of big Cockpits and sails with them in much harsher conditions. He uses this sailboat one to sail and cruise with the family, kind of his perfect bluewater voyage boat.

He is a very experienced sailor and that boat only shows how variable can be the tastes in what regards the perfect voyage bluewater boat, even if this sailor does not live permanently aboard.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:40   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This.

boat+life+cruising=life+boat+cruising?

b.
Well, at least it is a safe one

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: