Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 15:26   #91
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Choosing a boat for a Lifetime of Cruising..

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
Sorry I don't understand your comment.
Of course we have bought new stuff when needed but also repaired things that break...is that what you meant?

What I meant is that most boats can be made to last if you repair EVERY thing as you said.

Dave
Old 30-12-2014, 15:40   #92

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
We are now into our 16th year of living aboard and voyaging full time.Still on the same boat.....
In the last 12 years we have repaired EVERY breakage onboard, from ripped sails to engine malfunction to deck repairs.
Did you bought the boat new?
I am curious regarding the engine: Did the same engine last 16 years? How many miles have you done and engine hours?
Do you have changed the rig?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 13:55   #93

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

(...)

These very same people may choose a very different boat if they were making their descisions today.
May / may not.

I think those of us who have had their boats for a time now (say 10 years and beyond) have a good reason to do so. I think those of us who stepped into boat traps have long ago quit the "wrong" boats and went for the "proper" ones.

But you are right in the part where one would like to try "the dark side of the force". Us here, for one, can easily imagine ourselves sailing a Class 40 based cruising design, yet we would never ever go cruising in a plastic fantastic.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 14:13   #94
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
So my question is this: what choices have the “voyagers” made and by that I mean sailors that are living on their boats 24/7 and cruising full time and crossing oceans as a regular part of their lifestyle.

Drawing on the experience of these sailors will hopefully give us a real life testament of the choices they made and why and how these choices have been working out over the years. Google sailors need not apply.
Well as you have seen....
There are as many opinions on this as what makes a good Coastal Cruiser.
There is a deep soul penetrating myth out there that there is a perfect boat just around the bend if only I can ask enough people, interview enough experts and just talk enough different people. But alas...there is more than one type of Plane flown by the airlines who pour over the fuel and maintenance data...why is that? Because opinions matter just as much, and maybe even More than the advice of experts and data. If you don't understand that, then you are either not married or have managed to find a wife that lets you ignore her
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 14:20   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW . . . Dashew is building himself another new boat in NZ (a modified/improved version of his prior one). He just told me it would be his last (he has never said that before). He is one of the master's of the 'go anywhere boats' - but they are expensive.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 14:21   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Did you bought the boat new?
I am curious regarding the engine: Did the same engine last 16 years? How many miles have you done and engine hours?
Do you have changed the rig?

The boat was 6 years old when we bought her. Extremely well set up and maintained by a serious cruiser. Yes we have the original engine- now 22 years old and still going strong! Engine hours are around 9000 and we have sailed in excess of 75,000 miles.

We have rerigged the boat once, using sta-lock fittings. We will probably rerig again next year. Last time we did it ourselves and will probably do so again...
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 14:22   #97
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

"Choosing a boat for a Lifetime of Cruising"

Why the assumption that you have to have one boat for your entire cruising and voyaging life? That's as crazy as having the same car, house and wants/needs for your lifetime.

It's also part of the trap that keeps dreamers dreaming rather than doing. I'm willing to bet that more dreams have been lost while looking for the mythical perfect boat than have ever been lost by having the "wrong boat".

Then there is this strange fact I noticed while out cruising.
The Cruisers that I came across that had their boats outfitted the "best" and that I looked up to for their knowledge and seamanship skills also didn't know what an internet chat room, blog, instagram, or Facebook account was. Oh sure they may have heard about them, but they were all too busy messing around with their boat...doing rather than talking.

We all here like the internet forum format, but we also have to realize that chat room sailors and cruisers (me included) are a self-selecting sample of folks and not necessarily a good sample of what I will call the "real world". Does that make us bad or something, no but it certainly doesn't make us always right, it's just who can type out what they think the best and takes the time to do it...which when you come to think about it...what does that skill set have to do with Cruising and Voyaging? Ah...nada maybe?

So what's point Rich? Easy...if you want to know what boats are out there Cruising and Voyaging, the best way is to get out there and look around the anchorages. I'm also willing to bet that the vast majority of them don't have 9000 posts on a cruising forum...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 14:24   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Well as you have seen....
There are as many opinions on this as what makes a good Coastal Cruiser.
There is a deep soul penetrating myth out there that there is a perfect boat just around the bend if only I can ask enough people, interview enough experts and just talk enough different people. But alas...there is more than one type of Plane flown by the airlines who pour over the fuel and maintenance data...why is that? Because opinions matter just as much, and maybe even More than the advice of experts and data. If you don't understand that, then you are either not married or have managed to find a wife that lets you ignore her
For sure! Life would be bloody boring if there was such a boat wouldn't it. Of course there will never be a perfect boat because everyone is different in there tastes, wants, needs and desires. It is interesting what these folks choose though as they do march to a different drummer. I can find some commonalities here and there but maybe more will show up over time if we get more feedback.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 14:28   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
BTW . . . Dashew is building himself another new boat in NZ (a modified/improved version of his prior one). He just told me it would be his last (he has never said that before). He is one of the master's of the 'go anywhere boats' - but they are expensive.
Are you talking about sail or his more recent power boats?
Old 31-12-2014, 15:23   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The last one and the new one are power boats. Before that he had a big and then a huge (for a couple) sail boats. They all have been quite good "go anywhere boats".

It's just interesting to watch one quite smart and experienced guy continually refine his own "perfect" boat.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 15:55   #101

Quote:
The last one and the new one are power boats. Before that he had a big and then a huge (for a couple) sail boats. They all have been quite good "go anywhere boats".

It's just interesting to watch one quite smart and experienced guy continually refine his own "perfect" boat.
Yes he is an interesting guy, met him real briefly 25 years ago and read his books, very opinionated individual. I can imagine the enjoyment he will get doing his last boat, far cry from the Columbia 50.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:14   #102

Quote:
.... Yes we have the original engine- now 22 years old and still going strong! Engine hours are around 9000 and we have sailed in excess of 75,000 miles.

We have rerigged the boat once, using sta-lock fittings. We will probably rerig again next year. Last time we did it ourselves and will probably do so again...
Thanks. I only hope that my engine lasts that long without a rebuild even if I don't believe it to be the case.

A good new year to you
Old 31-12-2014, 20:22   #103

Quote:

Yes but for me the way he went in what regards sailing boats represents a failure that lead him to motorboats.

Today many of his age sail on fast big sailboats with a high degree of automatism with mechanical and hydraulic help. His boats were fast but demanding to sail and at some point he felt he had not the strength or the will to continue on that road and turned to motor boats.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:22   #104

Very difficult to choose one boat for an entire lifetime - you'd have to make the choice before you were born.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 22:53   #105

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You guys are approaching a to me interesting issue. I have no interest whatsoever in a new sailboat, but..... Boy those Allures look nice!

It is really reasonable to anticipate that if one's financial situation improves, one might choose to get another boat, even though the old one was working fine, but your desires had changed.

Still, I have to say that if you figure out what you want, and it is practical, you should be able to live with it happily until such time as your needs or wants change...and maybe, even then, when you review the practicality of the new wants or *needs*.

Ann

Tags
cruising