Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 09:27   #1

Boat: Moody 34
Chesapeake Sailing at end of July

For those familiar with Eastern Shore Sailing- I am taking my first charter for three days the last week of July out of Rock Hall MD.
Questions: what direction is the wind from, usually, in late July. I will have the boat the 30th to the 1st.
What are some good anchorages to settle in to?
Ae thunderstorms regular that time of year and if so, what time do they usually come through.
Is the wind usually very light that time of year?
How many miles of sailing is reasonable to get someplace if I want to sail from say, 10:00 to 2:00 (about 4 hours a day) is the Island Packet 27 which I am chartering. 20 miles?
Thanks for any and all input. I am excited as this is my first charter where I will be the skipper.
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 09:58   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Chesapeake Sailing at end of July

It will be warm, maybe hot and humid. The wind comes up in the afternoon as the land heats, usually from the S. There could be thunderstorms, but they usually don't last.

Consider this 3 night trip:

Sail across the bay and up the Magothy River and anchor behind Dobbins Island. It can be a zoo on weekends but midweek should be nice. The island itself is posted, but there is a nice beach where you can bring your dinghy up to and swim.

Then go S under the bridge and up into Whitehall Bay. Go up Mill Creek and anchor just behind the sharp bend beyond Jimmy Cantlers. Then dinghy in to Cantlers for crabs. Or go a bit further and pick up a mooring in Annapolis harbor. Tie up your dinghy at the head of Ego Alley and enjoy the bars, pubs and restaurants of Annapolis.

The last night, cross back over to the eastern shore and up the Chester R to Langford Creek, then anchor in Davis Creek. Not pristine but well protected.

Another trip which is more sailing would be to go S through Kent Narrows and then into the Wye R and up the E branch. Then anchor in Dividing Cr or Granary Cr. These will be quiet, pristine and protected.

From there go down to St Michaels. Anchor to the S of the main channel or N of the museum's lighthouse. The dinghy dock is in the harbor behind the Crab Claw restaurant.

The last night could be any of the three noted above.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
What he said, but.... fill your fuel tank as at least one day will be windless in July
SB
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:52   #4

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

There is a good chance there will be little wind but so far this year we have had terrific conditions. Most days so far the wind will be of a southerly direction 15-20kts. I would bring bug spray! Can be a lot of bugs as winds tend to be nill at night, again this hasn't been the case so far this year.

Use Active Captain, find the draft of the boat and find a nice anchorage and relax! Have fun! Even in light air that IP will move with the right sails

bring a windscoop, really helps at night
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:25   #5

Boat: Seaward 22

BUG SPRAY...that's right. A big ole can of Raid. There have been times when out in the middle of the bay we have been invaded by biting flies. You need a can of bug spray and a swatter to keep the blood on the inside of your body.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
It will be warm, maybe hot and humid. The wind comes up in the afternoon as the land heats, usually from the S. There could be thunderstorms, but they usually don't last.

Consider this 3 night trip:

Sail across the bay and up the Magothy River and anchor behind Dobbins Island. It can be a zoo on weekends but midweek should be nice. The island itself is posted, but there is a nice beach where you can bring your dinghy up to and swim.

Then go S under the bridge and up into Whitehall Bay. Go up Mill Creek and anchor just behind the sharp bend beyond Jimmy Cantlers. Then dinghy in to Cantlers for crabs. Or go a bit further and pick up a mooring in Annapolis harbor. Tie up your dinghy at the head of Ego Alley and enjoy the bars, pubs and restaurants of Annapolis.

The last night, cross back over to the eastern shore and up the Chester R to Langford Creek, then anchor in Davis Creek. Not pristine but well protected.

Another trip which is more sailing would be to go S through Kent Narrows and then into the Wye R and up the E branch. Then anchor in Dividing Cr or Granary Cr. These will be quiet, pristine and protected.

From there go down to St Michaels. Anchor to the S of the main channel or N of the museum's lighthouse. The dinghy dock is in the harbor behind the Crab Claw restaurant.

The last night could be any of the three noted above.

David

Thanks David-
Day 1: I will be with a sailing instructor friend for the first morning as I am also bringing my 15 year old who has never been sailing and I want to teach him some basics. Then, I will drop the sailing instructor at the dock the afternoon of the first day.
So, I have that nite--all day the next and overnite-- myself as first time skipper- I dont want to push it- sail 4 or so hours every morning and then find a place to anchor, eat, swim, chill.
so, I will have one overnite close to Rock hall the first nite and then free to go wherever for the next 24 hours.
I am a newbie sailor so I am looking for a 2-day 2-nite trip that is not pushing my abilities and to show my son a good time and introduce him to sailing.
Based on that time-frame....any ideas that jive with my newbie abilities.
Old 28-06-2013, 11:46   #7

note: no dinghy on the charter boat.
does that change your recommendations?
Old 28-06-2013, 12:40   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

What's the charter boat draft? Kent Narrows is an OK overnite marina-type destination, but the channel shoals sometimes. Not horrible, but a factor...

(The Narrows is also the shortest route from Rock Hall to St. Michaels -- but FWIW I think that's probably too far away, for this short period.)

If you've not been to Annapolis before, it can be a great overnight, either on a mooring ball (water taxi) or in a slip.

And Magothy/Dobbins (Eagle Cove), Severn/Whitehall Bay -- both mentioned -- are indeed good anchorages. ActiveCaptain will show more...

July and August aren't windy months around here... except during the afternoon thunderstorm, possible most days starting at approx. 4 o'clock

-Chris
Old 28-06-2013, 13:09   #9
Marine Service Provider

You will likely have light southerlies. Thunderstorms are predicted every day. be anchored by 3 or 4 for best protection. You have hundreds of anchorages at your disposal so study up and use cruising guides.. Go north for fresher water and fewer stinging nettles if you swim in the bay or choose marinas with pools. 20 miles in four hours is not out of the question and your boat cruises at 5 or 6 under power,,,you may only sail at 3-4 kts average or less. I think you'd do well to have your instructor friend aboard for the whole time....I don't recommend Kent Narrows--very busy and lots of road traffic nearby...

triple w foerfront dot com
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:29   #10

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

No dinghy and short first day.

I would do the first itinerary. The Wye River anchorage will be a too long a first day sail and St Michaels doesn't have a water taxi and going ashore there is why you go.

So:

You can sail across the bay from Rock Hall and up the Magothy in about 4 hours, so that is a good first stop. You can anchor within 100 yards of the beach behind Dobbins Island so you could swim there with no dinghy or just chill at anchor.

The next day if you want some crabs, you can tie up to Jimmy Cantler's dock on Mills Cr (the IP 27 draws about 4' so you will be fine at the outer docks), eat dinner and then go up the creek a few hundred yards and anchor in a nice protected bight.

Then down to Annapolis, get a mooring ball and use the water taxi to get ashore.

Get up early on your last day for a 16-18 mile sail back to Rock Hall to get there by what- noon?

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:38   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cantlers is very expensive and often crowded and slow but good food and there are nice anchorages nearby....I don;t know why everyone points to the Magothy--it can be nice at Dobbins but there are many nice places north--Great Oak for example, Sassafrass River, Eastern Neck and up the Chester River....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 06:53   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

... and St Michaels doesn't have a water taxi and going ashore there is why you go.

The next day if you want some crabs, you can tie up to Jimmy Cantler's dock on Mills Cr (the IP 27 draws about 4' so you will be fine at the outer docks), eat dinner and then go up the creek a few hundred yards and anchor in a nice protected bight.

St. Michaels does have a water taxi.

Last I heard, Waterman's in Rock Hall has crabs as good as Cantler's...

-Chris
Old 29-06-2013, 07:45   #13

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
There is a good chance there will be little wind but so far this year we have had terrific conditions. Most days so far the wind will be of a southerly direction 15-20kts. I would bring bug spray! Can be a lot of bugs as winds tend to be nill at night, again this hasn't been the case so far this year.

Use Active Captain, find the draft of the boat and find a nice anchorage and relax! Have fun! Even in light air that IP will move with the right sails

bring a windscoop, really helps at night
+1. Usually I would say plan on more motor than sail through July and August, but so far I think we are on track for a windy(ish) summer.

Pick a couple/few places in a 15 nm radius (n/w/s...that is) and then make a decision based on the weather/forecast.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing