Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 21:05   #16

Re: Chesapeake Bay Water Level (Hunter's Moon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Maybe my brain cells are dying off, but looking at the pictures of the flooding at the boat show, I don't remember any flooding like that the six years I lived in Annapolis.
Happens all the time now, maybe not quite to that extent but all the parking by the harbormaster office floods along with enough water to close the road in front of the Marriott/Fawcetts a few times a year. Usually with a South wind and high tide. I'm a relatively recent Annapolis resident but I'm told this wasn't nearly as common in the past (so if your brain cells are dying off then so are everyone else's)

redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 22:06   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Maybe my brain cells are dying off, but looking at the pictures of the flooding at the boat show, I don't remember any flooding like that the six years I lived in Annapolis.
I lived there for a few years not so long ago and remember it being a regular occurrence, on the order of once or twice a year. It's one of the reasons that they rebuilt the seawall around part of Ego Alley (which needed it for other reasons as well). It seemed to happen more often during the winter during winter storms coinciding with spring tides.

This is what it usually looked like:

Old 15-10-2019, 08:14   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It's one of the reasons that they rebuilt the seawall around part of Ego Alley (which needed it for other reasons as well).

Rebuilding the seawall had nothing to do with flood control. It was to keep the soil under City Dock including the parking lot and the retail buildings from washing out into Ego Alley and Spa Creek. It was a great project and the new wall will last a long long time.

Real flood control will require remediation from Round Bay to Truxton Park. That will be expensive enough that USNA might move rather than pay their share.
Auspicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 08:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I lived there for a few years not so long ago and remember it being a regular occurrence, on the order of once or twice a year. It's one of the reasons that they rebuilt the seawall around part of Ego Alley (which needed it for other reasons as well). It seemed to happen more often during the winter during winter storms coinciding with spring tides.

This is what it usually looked like:

I think I would have remembered that!

I was there from 1995 to 2001 (and, I am frequently amazed at the things I don't remember).
Old 16-10-2019, 08:27   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

When I first started coming to Annapolis in 1982 the floods were once or twice a year. When I moved here in 2006 they were common enough that there were lots of signs to beware of flooding - perhaps eight or ten times a year? Now it is much more. The water table is high (you can't walk across our yard much of the time) and weather offshore drives water up the Bay so high tides back up in the storm drains and flood low spots in roads far from the water. We've been captured in our neighborhood a few times in the last couple of years.
Auspicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 08:54   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

The frequency of flooding is increasing:

Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 09:39   #22

Boat: Valiant 40

Not only is sea level rising in the Chesapeake, but DelMarVa is sinking, compounding the problem:

http://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/a...173-25-8-4.pdf
Old 16-10-2019, 16:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Rebuilding the seawall had nothing to do with flood control. It was to keep the soil under City Dock including the parking lot and the retail buildings from washing out into Ego Alley and Spa Creek. It was a great project and the new wall will last a long long time.

Real flood control will require remediation from Round Bay to Truxton Park. That will be expensive enough that USNA might move rather than pay their share.
Yeah, if it was supposed to stop the flooding it's been a complete and utter failure! In all fairness I think they did ensure the design could be part of any future flood prevention plan, but it would only be a small part and along with the "great wall" they'd need to do a lot of storm drain work since a lot of the water comes through them.
Old 17-10-2019, 13:49   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
The frequency of flooding is increasing:

I wonder why this is surprising people?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 16:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I wonder why this is surprising people?
I found this article a fascinating read https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ts-to-stop-it/ For some folks no amount of in your face (or boots at it happens) evidence will convince them, so you've gotta work a different angle.
Old 17-10-2019, 17:07   #26

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I found this article a fascinating read https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ts-to-stop-it/ For some folks no amount of in your face (or boots at it happens) evidence will convince them, so you've gotta work a different angle.
How about some applied engineering? Like seawalls, erosion control, diversions, and other mitigation that would make it easier for people to adapt? Or some acceptance of the reality that the world is not going to reduce carbon emissions within the time frame or to a level which many scientists says is necessary. As the Scientific American article alludes to, there is plenty of common ground when it comes to finding pragmatic solutions, but very little when the issue is used to promote partisanship.
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 17:42   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
How about some applied engineering? Like seawalls, erosion control, diversions, and other mitigation that would make it easier for people to adapt? Or some acceptance of the reality that the world is not going to reduce carbon emissions within the time frame or to a level which many scientists says is necessary. As the Scientific American article alludes to, there is plenty of common ground when it comes to finding pragmatic solutions, but very little when the issue is used to promote partisanship.
Applied engineering?

For 450 miles or more of coast line along the Chesapeake Bay (Eastern and Western sides) and seaside Eastern Shore?

The water level had been way up on the seaside as well.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 19:11   #28

Quote:
It was over $6M for 700' of work at city dock. There is over 11,000 miles of shoreline on the Chesapeake Bay alone - that's about 60,000,000'. You can build a heck of a lot of solar, wind, nuclear, and geothermal plants along with storage at that mitigation price, enough to power the world dozens of times over! That's applied engineering.
Old 17-10-2019, 20:24   #29

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
It was over $6M for 700' of work at city dock. There is over 11,000 miles of shoreline on the Chesapeake Bay alone - that's about 60,000,000'. You can build a heck of a lot of solar, wind, nuclear, and geothermal plants along with storage at that mitigation price, enough to power the world dozens of times over! That's applied engineering.
I hear ya. But in the meantime, and for a lot less, you could build seawall and other infrastructure to mitigate impacts for more immediately threatened places like Deal and Tangiers Islands.
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 05:21   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I hear ya. But in the meantime, and for a lot less, you could build seawall and other infrastructure to mitigate impacts for more immediately threatened places like Deal and Tangiers Islands.
Yeah, I wonder how Tangier made out last weekend? Any reports?

The Tangier Story. (We had quite a few preachers on the Eastern Shore back in the day from Tangier)

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/12/go...ier-island-va/

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, hunter, water