Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 13:32   #1

Checklist for AFTER New Sailboat Purchase

I'm a list maker. Helps me clear my head so I can focus on the situation at hand. I like to be prepared as possible and today I was going through my notes for "things to remember when purchasing a boat," and I realized my notes stop at the purchase and do not address the after purchase. Understanding that a good survey will provide part of this information there are still some details to remember.

I think I will put together a checklist to remind myself of what to do once I'm standing on the dock with title and wanting desperately to go sailing on said new boat!
I guess I was thinking of things such as, remember to make sure that the proper thru-hulls were open/closed, diesel in engine, check battery levels, proper shore power cord for new marina etc. Keeping in mind that some information from survey will need to be added to this list and can't be known now.
This also helps me to take proper notes while following the surveyor around, of "remember to" items.

So maybe two categories.
1. Before leaving her at a temporary marina. (although might just spend the night)
2. Before sailing and starting engine for the first time.

What would/have you put on your mental/written list to do in these circumstances?
Thanks!
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 14:48   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
There are a ton of things but here is one: have the fuel tanks cleaned and the fuel polished. If the boat has been sitting for any length of time, you will likely have sludge in the bottom of the tanks. Take a brisk night, choppy sea, and you will have engine failure. I know!!

Try to be sure to have a couple of spare fuel filters, impeller, and v-belt and it would be nice to have the necessary tools and know how to change them. A working VHF radio and give your friends a float plan.

A lot of stuff the surveyor will find will probably not be critical to just moving the boat. Safety first, then comfort and convenience. Don't forget adequate dock lines for your new home.

Have fun,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 15:47   #3

- marine grade padlock
- moorning lines (longer is better until you know you don't need them)
- buddy to help you move / dock
- phone numbers, hours, directions to any land facilities you'll need to interact with
- i wear gloves all the time, some people don't
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 17:32   #4

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
1. sail.
2. figure out what you don't like or want to change..
3. write it down.
4. Lather, rinse repeat.

did our first shakedown cruise yesterday...got my work cut out..almost literally..<snort>
Old 19-09-2010, 18:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Here is a quick swag

- Getting attention (communication) - Flares, horns, flags, radio, cell phone etc.. Large and small good quality flashlights - spare batteries for key items.
- Keeping the water out - Bilge pumps, electric and manual, bailers, bungs & plugs, 3-4 various sized hose clamps, sea cocks (open or closed depending)
- Propelling the boat (or not) - Engine fluids (oil, fuel, water), oar(s), ground tackle (the option to anchor the boat and wait for changing conditions, fixing the boat or waiting for help)
- Navigation - Paper charts for local area, gps
- Floatplan and Weather - Someone should know you went out, where you are headed and when to start looking for you. Always check the 12-24 hour local forecast.
- Crew safety - Lifejackets, Liferings, tossing lines, first aid kit
- Crew comfort - Water, food, jackets, blanket, hats, gloves, sunblock, insect repellent. (Even for daysailing keep a liter of water per person and granola bars - An unintentional grounding, failed engine etc can make a 4 hour sail a 12+ hour sail. Some comfort food will really make a difference.)
- Tools - The most basic set like you'd keep in your apartment at home - 2 <8 inch crescent wrenches (shifters to the aussies), channel lock pliers, needle nose pliers, side cutter wire cutters, large and small phillips and flat screwdrivers, 8-10 oz ball peen hammer, duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties, wd-40, scissors, sponge and hand towel sized cloths, large and small buckets. A small bottle of dish soap - cleaning up after a repair and also I frequently douse the mainsail slugs to keep the track clean and the slugs sliding.

You may not need everything and this list may not be comprehensive but it is a good start.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 19:27   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Clean out all the crap the PO left on the boat.

You will never use it

It will help you become familiar with all the crooks and nannies.....I mean nooks and crannies
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 19:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
crooks and nannies...
familiar with politics, aye?

concur with cleaning out the PO-S**** 1/3 of my salon was taken up by TV and stereo...hello? new millenium? could you send me some new electronics?

and WTF is my salon table? " It sucked so we ripped it out..along with the 3rd salon bunk..."

sorry..guy was an idiot.
Old 20-09-2010, 09:11   #8

good ideas

Good stuff. Adding it all to my list now. I agree about the cleaning out. Don't know if I would have the patience to polish the fuel tank before going out but read on another thread about sucking the sludge out of the tank. Might be a good in between step. I will definitely go out with crew and expect the unexpected. I'm thinking I might add a couple reference books to the list too.
Appreciate it!
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 11:56   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayW View Post
Good stuff. Adding it all to my list now. I agree about the cleaning out. Don't know if I would have the patience to polish the fuel tank before going out but read on another thread about sucking the sludge out of the tank. Might be a good in between step. I will definitely go out with crew and expect the unexpected. I'm thinking I might add a couple reference books to the list too.
Appreciate it!
Can you find an owners manual on-line? That will add some specific stuff.
Old 20-09-2010, 16:26   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I forgot one key item- Fire extinguisher...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 18:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I forgot one key item- Fire extinguisher...
several..I carry 3...