Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 10:33   #1

chartering insurance questions

For most of my life I've been paid to run other folks' boats and programs. I'm now chartering a boat for a week to take some in-laws sailing, and having my eyes opened. Charterer wants $95/day to cover a deductible damage waiver. That strikes me as steep, but what seems the worst of it is that it doesn't cover anything beyond hull & deck, (liability is separate at another $20/day) so that any damage belowdecks, mechanical systems, etc seems to be my responsibility up to about $5K, and the insurance specifically excludes anything they would consider "flagrant disregard for the standards of seamanship", which could include hitting rocks they've marked on the chart, or operating at night or in poor visibility. I haven't grounded a boat in 20 years, and don't expect to this time out, but isn't that part of what insurance is for?
Is this pretty much standard in the bareboat chartering policies?
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:03   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: chartering insurance questions

I don't know if it's standard, but 5K sounds about right as a Deductable on a 350K boat so would seem fair enough. The waiver sounds like a typical waiver similar to rental cars or normal hull policies, although I think my deductible waiver is only $400/year so they're probably making a bit on the side there. They also probably make quite a bit by taking the 5K and doing repairs themselves for much less in most cases. Some Visa cards have a policy for hire cars where they pay the deductible in the event of a claim. I wonder if some cover charter boats as well?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, insurance