Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 15:11   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Charter Boat to Bluewater Crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

One of my bugbears about galleys is the lack of a galley harness. They make life so much easier.
This is one of the most ... statements made.
Obviously from someone who knows so little but professes to teach others.

How long does it take for someone to tie a short bit of rope around the already installed granny bar if the need to?

Hey?

How long?

Why do you put multiple posts of complete drivel on a thread you obviously know nothing about?

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

How long does it take for someone to tie a short bit of rope around the already installed granny bar if the need to?
Tried that. The line interfered with the gimbal action of the stove.

Are the snarky comments necessary?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:50   #33

Quote:
Fine.

The next money I spent on her was in Australia on an extra 50m anchor chain.

So from the Caribbean to Australia I broke one split pin.

That's half a world.
Thanks for that. Good to know.
Old 15-01-2016, 16:03   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Touching some sensitive spots here. Oh, how we love our boats. You can criticize me or my wife but never my boat or my dog.
I have seen crossings made on 21 footers I wouldn't feel safe with on a lake.
Each to their own.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:06   #35

Boat: CS 27

Hi Rob, I think you'll be fine with what you choose. Forums aren't the best place to get answers unfortunately, answers are often given from the ego. Your best bet would be to talk directly with the folks who have done what you're looking for, such as Mark.

There is an Australian couple who bought a 10 year old 43 Beneteau ex charter in Greece and sailed it down to the Caribbean - they are currently in Venezuala I believe, and headed West. If you google Sailing La Vagabonde you will get all sorts of pertinent information. You can contact them as well, although they have quite following, so they're typing fingers are bit numb by now. Riley, (owner) has also created an online free book with will answer newbie questions as well. These two left Greece with no sailing experience, (no means no, as in didn't know how to unfurl the sail), and they are having a blast. I think their Bene came with auto, chartplotter, dinghy, motor. They just added a watermaker - $5000. I think he paid $100,000 for it, but it's all outlined in their blog. If you are American - you are a lucky dude in the $$$ dept with your healthy buck.

Have fun!
Chris
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:09   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:

Hey?

How long?

Why do you put multiple posts of complete drivel on a thread you obviously know nothing about?

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

NO NO NO NO Mark you and I and Many Many THOUSANDS of others are sailing boats in the big wide oceans that ARE ONLY ........DESIGNED for coastal sailing...... Read that carefully and slowly at least two or three times.

I think better remove that CE Plate NOW!!!!

So all those people every year who do the ARC and the other various ocean pasage 'cruises' rallies including the Round the World ones, excuse my use of that word {cruises} have got it TOTALLY WRONG .

As are all the rather famous desigers like Farr, Finot, Philippe Briand, VPLP, Lock Crowther, Christophe Barreau, Alex Simonis and many others ....they really should just give up designing boats as the clowns here know best......

So Mark best come into the Lagoon quick as your wee coastal boat is NOT SAFE out in Simpson Bay. OR are you too tired to move after ONLY taking Ten Days sailing your wee coastal boat from the USA down to SXM, I can imagine how worried you must have been NOT!!! out in the big Atlantic Ocean and then the Caribbean......

Was the sea blue perchance?.. ...AS this was not really BWS UNLESS the Sea was TRULY BLUE
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:11   #37

Boat: CS 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Touching some sensitive spots here. Oh, how we love our boats. You can criticize me or my wife but never my boat or my dog.
Each to their own.
I don't think it's criticism, rather than looking a white wall and telling everyone it's red - or that MarkJ has an absolutely world record case of dementia.

All the best!
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:27   #38

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
If hand holds and berth size are so wrong on these boats i wonder how I have done a circumnavigation in mine?

Maybe I have already died and this is an apparition typing.

Boo!
This is the guy to listen to here. I've said it before and I will repeat that there are those better suited to staying ashore because they can't move around a boat without things solely designed to grab on to. Also they need at least an inch of steel around them and a very deep dark cave to climb in just in case all of their equipment goes down and they sail into the storm of the century. Funny how some decent sailors can go anywhere on pretty much anything without all the drama.
Buy your charter boat and go sailing. Don't be stupid and you'll be fine. He'll people have done this stuff forever and with much less equipment than everyone seemingly needs these days.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:42   #39

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Each to their own.
Actually no the post was saying that charter boats were only desiged for coastal sailing that is just total rubbish a generisation that is so far off the mark as to be totally ridiculous.

AS to WHAT or HOW YOU or ME might outfit our boats to go across a few oceans that surely Shirely is a very very personal decision and has little to do with the basic boats design......many many thousands of people do this year in year out in the same boats that fill 90% of the worlds charter fleets your 'typical production boat' {mono or multihull}

Now since this is a newbie posting here...would It not be nice to see some sensible advice given and not the stupid suggestion that typically charter boats are only designed for coastal sailing.

Ex charter boats are I believe an excellent way to get into sailing at lower cost and in a bigger boat than you would otherwise be able to afford. Here in SXM we see many many Austrailains buying Ex Charter boats and setting off for Austraila AND they come back again and do it repeatedly.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:47   #40

Thanks so much for all your input, such a great forum! I have been lost on here for days trying to educate myself.

The reason I liked ex-charter boats is that they seemed to be good value and very comfortable. I would intend to do mainly coastal cruising for a few years then slowly take it back to Australia to sell. I thought it would also be easier to sell a brand name boat such as Beanteau, Bavaria or Jeanneau.

I'm leaning to towards getting something in Europe because I'm buying in Australian $. Which is hold better value against Euro compared to USD.

I was looking to spend less than $100 000AUD (63k Euro or $69k usd)

Thanks again guys,

MUCH APPRECIATED!
dazed321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:56   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Charter Boat to Bluewater Crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I asked Mark this question as well.

In what shape were the sails, standing rigging, running rigging?
She was a 5yr old boat in the BVI's.. the engine got more wear than the rig or sails..
I got her surveyed and Sunsail threw in an a new jib and main to sweeten the deal.. the owner wanted a close.
Still had not used them till I had to sell the boat.
If one has half a brain and owned/sailed a variety of boats one gets to know what they are capable off.. and what they are not.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:06   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Charter Boat to Bluewater Crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed321 View Post
Thanks so much for all your input, such a great forum! I have been lost on here for days trying to educate myself.

The reason I liked ex-charter boats is that they seemed to be good value and very comfortable. I would intend to do mainly coastal cruising for a few years then slowly take it back to Australia to sell. I thought it would also be easier to sell a brand name boat such as Beanteau, Bavaria or Jeanneau.

I'm leaning to towards getting something in Europe because I'm buying in Australian $. Which is hold better value against Euro compared to USD.

I was looking to spend less than $100 000AUD (63k Euro or $69k usd)

Thanks again guys,

MUCH APPRECIATED!
Greece is the place at the moment.. don't know if its the refugee thing and causes driving things but browse this site... no affiliation..
Used Yachts for Sale in and around Greece

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:28   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
She was a 5yr old boat in the BVI's.. the engine got more wear than the rig or sails..
I got her surveyed and Sunsail threw in an a new jib and main to sweeten the deal.. the owner wanted a close.
Still had not used them till I had to sell the boat.
If one has half a brain and owned/sailed a variety of boats one gets to know what they are capable off.. and what they are not.
Silly me. I keep amusing people like to sail in the BVI's.
Old 15-01-2016, 17:50   #44

Boat: currently boatless

Ok Rob,
here's a perspective of someone who has purchased an ex Lagoon 410 charter boat from Sunsail here in Australia. Number 1, forget about the question about setting up a charter boat to go water sailing">blue water sailing. In my opinion its exactly the same question as if what do I need to go blue water sailing in any sailboat.
Having cruised the east coast of Australia a few time in quite extreme conditions it is my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with a well found ex charter boat for your needs provided it was originally designed for that purpose. Our Lagoon is designed for blue water passages and is certified from the factory to that effect. We have met so many people on ex charter boats doing major blue water crossings very safely and comfortably.
The upgrades we have done to make her suitable for offshore work are
1) Liferaft
2) AIS
3) Uprgrade of auto pilot, plotter and VHF radio (not really required just a personal choice)
4) Solar system and upgraded house batteries.
5)minimise electrical consumption by changing all lights to LED and changing over electrical items to more efficient systems. (once again not really required just my personal choice)
6) Upgrade sun and weather protection ( I consider that essential given that comfort reduces fatigue
7) Upgraded refrigeration to a more efficient cooling and power saving unit given that we operate in tropical climates most of our time.
8) Radar and water maker will be installed if we go international. ( We currently have 1000 litres of water if required which lasts us a minimum of 6 weeks with care so being coastal water is not really an issue for us.
9) Installed new safety lines ( Wichards ) and new safety tethers
10) While we have sufficient fuel capacity for coastal trips I would upgrade our fuel capacity quite considerable. Currently I have 100 litres per tank per motor and 80 litres in containers. I would like at least 250 litres per motor and 100 litres in Jerry cans. Ample based on our fuel consumption and plans.
11) I have had to put in a large amount of spares including a) a big range of stainless nuts, bolts, screws, washers etc. b) a cross section of electrical joiners, connectors, wire, solders, heat shrink, electrical tape, cable ties etc. c) A good assortment of tools (battery drills and multi tools). I prefer items can be used for multiple purposes. Of course we keep a large range of filters for oil, fuel and pulley belts.
12) We upgraded our gas supply for cooking to ensure we can always heat and cook our food.
13) While the anchor was sufficient for the boat we upgraded to High holding power anchor replaced the old rope and chain rode with all 100 metres of chain and have never regretted that upgrade.

We have done other upgrades but these are for our personal comfort and really do not relate to making the boat any more blue water ready. I do love our boat as there are plenty of handholds (yes it does get rough on catamarans and while they do sail flatter they still buck like any boat in a rough seaway)

These are the things that I would expect that you would have to do too the vast majority of yachts to go blue water sailing regardless if they are ex charter or privately owned. Obviously a boat may already be kitted out for such a journey which put you miles in front.

At the end of the day you have to be satisfied that your boat is blue water ready. Talk to the experienced people who have been out there and done it. Work out what relates to you and use other peoples experiences to get a head start. As always safety is always number 1 priority. Sunshine is our third ex charter boat. We have now owned Sunshine for two years and we love her and trust her in all conditions.

In reality I am only writing what suites us. People more learned and smarter than than me have written great books on this very subject. Like most things research on this site and other places will ensure you have the greatest possible information to make your decisions on. Hope this if is some assistance.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Currently Cruising Great Sandy Straights, Queensland, Australia
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:59   #45

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
NO NO NO NO Mark you and I and Many Many THOUSANDS of others are sailing boats in the big wide oceans that ARE ONLY ........DESIGNED for coastal sailing...... Read that carefully and slowly at least two or three times.

I think better remove that CE Plate NOW!!!!

So all those people every year who do the ARC and the other various ocean pasage 'cruises' rallies including the Round the World ones, excuse my use of that word {cruises} have got it TOTALLY WRONG .

As are all the rather famous desigers like Farr, Finot, Philippe Briand, VPLP, Lock Crowther, Christophe Barreau, Alex Simonis and many others ....they really should just give up designing boats as the clowns here know best......

So Mark best come into the Lagoon quick as your wee coastal boat is NOT SAFE out in Simpson Bay. OR are you too tired to move after ONLY taking Ten Days sailing your wee coastal boat from the USA down to SXM, I can imagine how worried you must have been NOT!!! out in the big Atlantic Ocean and then the Caribbean......

Was the sea blue perchance?.. ...AS this was not really BWS UNLESS the Sea was TRULY BLUE
Aside from getting your knickers in a twist over technicalities because it seems you have taken offence to the idea that your coastal cruiser may not be the ideal choice for passage making, what role do you think boats such as Valiants, Westsails, Hans Christian etc were designed for?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, water