Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2015, 17:00   #16

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Chart Symbol on land

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, I was right in post #7.

That's the symbol for an escarpment or cliff.
Yes, StuM is right again. Right about cliffs, right about sweating a halyard.

And, as shown below, depending on the chart and how twisted you are, the Chinese ideograph zhua (3rd tone) meaning claw is not dissimilar.
Old 30-12-2015, 18:40   #17

All,
Please look at post 11. Click on the attachment to enlarge. The yellow colour (land) has the symbols that I cannot find in any reference. They fringe Bungun Head, google earth Bungan Head NSW Australia. There are no pine trees, they are different for the symbol for cliff escarpment.
rugby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 18:58   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby7 View Post
All,
Please look at post 11. Click on the attachment to enlarge. The yellow colour (land) has the symbols that I cannot find in any reference. They fringe Bungun Head, google earth Bungan Head NSW Australia. There are no pine trees, they are different for the symbol for cliff escarpment.
They certainly look like bundles of escarpment lines to me. Looks like in some cases the cartographer has a standard graphic to simplify his work, possibly some sort of asian ideogram, but it is not consistent.

It is similar to the lines in the attached "quarrry" icon.

And there are plenty of references on Google to escarpments at Bungan Head and Barrenjoey Head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hashmarks.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	115903  
Attached Images

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 19:11   #19

Quote:
They certainly look like bundles of escarpment lines to me. Looks like in some cases the cartographer has a standard graphic to simplify his work, possibly some sort of asian ideogram, but it is not consistent.

And there are plenty of references on Google to escarpments at Bungan Head and Barrenjoey Head.
Looks like an escarpment to me.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 19:12   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Remember that "Asian" characters are in fact not just glyphs, but they ARE PICTOGRAMS, each representing a simplified picture (line drawing) of something.

So, perhaps earthworks, pikes around an earthenwork fortification (G), or something similar. By now it would have been faster and simpler to just email the Ozzie hydrographic office and perhaps see if they could be bothered to reply? If they really have no "Chart Number 1" that the OP should be able to reference?

I know that my NOAA charts are pretty damn realistic when they say "HERE BE DRAGONS" and the drawings match up with the dragons in Chart #1 very exactly.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 21:18   #21

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Remember that "Asian" characters are in fact not just glyphs, but they ARE PICTOGRAMS, each representing a simplified picture (line drawing) of something.
I don't know to which '"Asian" characters' you refer, hellosailor. I was referring to Chinese characters, called hanzi in modern standard Chinese, kanji in Japanese, and similar names in Vietnamese, Korean etc which also use Chinese characters.

Chinese characters, just like Latin letters, are glyphs.

Chinese characters do not each represent a simple picture. They are not pictograms. They are ideograms, each representing an idea, a notion, a concept.

For sure, Chinese characters are based on a set of elemental pictograms. Just as the Latin letters are (A being based on a picture of an ox head, W being a representation of the flow lines of water).

Take the example I used earlier, zhua (3rd tone in modern standard Chinese or MSC). Its genesis certainly lies in a simplified picture of a paw or a set of claws.

But zhua (1st tone in MSC) meaning to arrest, to seize, to grab (see below) takes the idea of 'paw' further. On the right hand side of the glyph you'll see the 'upright hand' radical, telling you that the word is about an action done by human hands. On the left hand side is a copy of zhua (3rd tone - the pictogram of a claw, if you prefer). That is there to tell the reader how to pronounce the glyph - it is similar to zhua (3rd tone). About 2/3rds of Chinese characters hint at the pronunciation by being combinations of a radical (giving the reader an idea of the meaning) and a phonetic (suggesting the pronunciation).
Old 30-12-2015, 22:43   #22

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rugby.

The symbols shown on official charts, produced by the Australian Hydrographic Service, generally conform to those Symbols and Abbreviations used on the British Admiralty Charts #5011.
http://www.mpa.gov.sg/sites/pdf/chart1_jan13.pdf http://www.mpa.gov.sg/sites/pdf/chart1_jan13.pdf

US Chart Symbols ➥ http://www.seasources.net/PDF/ChartNo1.pdf
Canadian Symbols ➥ http://www.charts.gc.ca/publications...rt1-carte1.pdf
Agree with what Gordon says.

It's good to that see Australia is still a colony!
The English Queen Rules!
(Was it her that kicked one of your Governments out of office a few years ago rather than the voters?) Sorry must keep to topic.

Here's a link to the Oz Hydrographic Office 'how to about charts' booklet. It says: The standard symbols used on paper charts can be found in the following publication: British Admiralty Publication - NP5011 Symbols and Abbreviations used on Admiralty Charts." (see page 32).

But it does warn that a few symbols may be hanging around from when Oz was using its own chart symbols as per the attached diagram. And so I'm thinking the symbols looks like J21s ie stay away cos it's an approximate rock reef.

Irrespective, as per what someone else said you should query/refer the matter back to the Hydrographic office. The process of reporting a possible fault is also in that booklet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Notice_Charts.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	115921  
Old 31-12-2015, 02:19   #23

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:

Definitely an escarpment.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 02:29   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Stu nailed it, attached is a page from Chart 5011
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5011.pdf (95.4 KB, 55 views)
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 13:14   #25

I agree they would be Steep Coast, Cliffs as in Natural Features Coastline foreshore C3
Odd thing is that the paper chart has much higher resolution than chart 5011 from post 24 and that's where the confusion started. Was intrigued the hydro office was using random symbols, (and may have) note one of them is "upside down".

Re Colony, do you guys mind if the upstarts keep flogging you in all sports?
rugby7 is offline   Reply With Quote