Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2007, 07:26   #1

Charleston, SC area eating..

This is not really boating related, but I figured there may be some people here with the knowledge I need..
I was thinking of driving down to Charleston this weekend with my wife..Would like to find some out-of-the-way seafood restaurant to eat at..Not a large, chain restaurant..Something small, fresh, with lots of "atmosphere"..something close to docks with a "salty" feel to it..
If it happens to be by a marina where I can walk and drool over nice sailboats that would be a plus..
Anyone have a suggestion.?

scgilligan
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 09:32   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Try Shem Creek, there's an old rustic seafood place there. Forget the name but everybody in Charleston knows it.
Old 31-08-2007, 10:35   #3

Wreck of Richard and Charlene..that is probably the one..just found it online..sounds good..
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 14:29   #4

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Go to The Wreck on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. Small, out of the way and great food. Verrrry casual.

This is the address: 106 Haddrell Point Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 15:16   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ludders 36
The wreck is the place you want for fresh sea-food. Last time I was there the only boats to look at were shrimp trawlers though.
Shem creak also has a passel of tourist traps and singles bar type places. The food in these places is generic and to be avoided when possible. (Except for a small Bistro on the right just before Shem creak if you are heading out from Charleston towards Mt Pleasant that is well worth your time as well.) The other largish and colorful places are not the Wreck so don't be decoyed if you want great seafood. The Wreck is just seaward of these places back a small access road that goes straight when the main highway veers left (going from Charleston towards Mt Pleasant). If you cross the big connector bridge at the north end of Mt Pleasant and are heading down the coast through Mt Pleasant then the road to the Wreck bears left from the main road just after NAPPA auto parts (or it did several years ago when we lived in Charleston). Hope this makes sense as you navigate the area. Its been a while since we were there...

Good Eating.
John and Marcia
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 15:21   #6

Boat: Lagoon 37
There is a some what mid scale restaurant here over looking the marina. "Up Da Creek". Bohicket Marina is between Kiawah and Seabrook Island. Good food, and nice folks. We are about 20 miles south of Charleston, and there is a shark fishing tournament this week end
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 18:59   #7

Thumbs up Recommendation from Spartanburg, SC

My wife and I go to Charleston often and our #1 place to go is the Boathouse on the IOP (Isle of Palms) at the bridge (at Breach Inlet) which connects to Sullivan's Island. You may see a few sailboats docked from the ICW and you can have a drink before dinner, outside on the deck and watch the dolphins. Be sure to call ahead for reservations, it is very popular with the locals. Our favorite dish is the Fried Scallops with Blue Cheese coleslaw. We actually split the dish and still have plenty to eat. Don't go to the Boathouse downtown. The one at the IOP is much better.

While you are in Charleston, don't miss breakfast at the Variety Restaurant which is located at the City Marina on the Ashley. Great View and lots of sailboats and parking is free if you eat at the Variey. They have the best grits in the south and you will see lots of sailors and locals.

Enjoy!!
charlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50   #8

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlies View Post
While you are in Charleston, don't miss breakfast at the Variety Restaurant which is located at the City Marina on the Ashley. Great View and lots of sailboats and parking is free if you eat at the Variey. They have the best grits in the south and you will see lots of sailors and locals.
Charles

Great recommendation!!!! Variety has great food and the place is a classic. It is one of our favorites also.
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:18   #9

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Hyman's in downtown Charleston. Famous. Will be busy but the food is great and the prices very reasonable. Frequently chosen as best sea food restaurant by Southern Living magazine.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote