Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 12:04   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Change to Loose Footed Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by out42 View Post
As most of the comments here: go loose-footed. The outhaul is key, and the lack of moveable outhauls was one reason why loose-footed sails were rare until 15-20 years ago (excluding gaffers, etc). Sail alterations are usually just taking it to a sailmaker who will cut the foot away and tape the edges. Then all you have to do is remember to free it off downwind and tighten upwind! What's not to like? Your sail shape will be better and you will be more aware of it.
I tend to use a dyneema sliding loop to attach the clew to the boom instead of a slug and it makes tensioning very easy. Attaching reefing lines to similar loops also lets the sail choose it best shape when reefing. Slugs tend to add stickiness and complications in my opinion.

Just do it.
What was the period when moveable outhauls were out of favor? During the 80's or so? Because we have moveable outhauls on all three of our booms (staysail, foresail, mainsail) that were drawn in the original rig 1931 plan. Wood spars of course. Our main boom was replaced in 1968 and included a brand new design of movable outhaul (current at that time.) Our 1966 Rawson 30 had a moveable outhaul as well.

Because boomed sails are often designed with the tack at less than 90 degree angle (often around 83 degrees), either a jackline/thimble combo on the lower third of the sail luff to attach to cars on the mast is required or a moving outhaul--so when you drop the sail it comes all the way down.
Old 18-03-2016, 12:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
I believe that's call deferred maintenance Stu!
Not really, although some could imagine that. The design included two blocks INSIDE the boom that they used swivel blocks on! Sheez...

Many of our skippers, plus the C36, came up with all sorts of different improvements, including purchase amount and NON swivel blocks. Ya tink?

If I ever get around to it, I'll just do it all outside the boom. One of these days, when I choose to again compete against all the almost semi-professional racers in our local C34 fleet, who are really, really good.

But I think, for me, those days are over. I've had my fun and will continue to race in the Cruising Division. Seems another mate and I share the "Cup" every other year.

Of course, I get the ODD years. Think he's made any fun of that???
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 16:05   #18

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

Just add a clew slide to your current main and you are good to go. I think you'll like the loose foot as it is easier to adjust the out haul tension. It's all I run on both my shark and C&C 34.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 17:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfesmy View Post
Just add a clew slide to your current main and you are good to go. I think you'll like the loose foot as it is easier to adjust the out haul tension. It's all I run on both my shark and C&C 34.
wolf, is that clew slide a block on the end of your boom? Is it run forward to the mast, then down and back to the cockpit? Or do you just adjust it as need from the end of the boom? Thanks for the ideas.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 20:39   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.

The clew does need to be kept down to the boom, with either a slug or a strap.
+1 Yes it does, very important IMO too
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 13:00   #21

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

The clew slide rides in your mast foot Track and is attached to the clew. You tighten the foot the same as you currently do. The typical arrangement for the out haul is a sheave at the end of the boom turning a line that is attached to the clew, this is then cleated somewhere on the boom. The clew slide keeps the clew end of the sail close to the track.

Hope that's clear
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote