Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2016, 02:20   #1
mfw

Change of flag french to Germany

Hi
I am interested in the process of buying a french flagged yacht and changing the flag to Germany. The duties have been paid. I am a german national living in Australia as a permanent resident. I still have family in Germany. Can you please tell me what would be involved to do the change of ownership. ?? The boat is not in the European Union when it will be purchased. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 04:20   #2

Re: Change of flag french to Germany

Hi,
it depends:
If your boat is 15 m or more and it will be operating on the open sea (not inshore) you will need a Registration at the “Seeschiffsregister”: Willkommen bei der deutschen Flagge! — Startseite.

If the boat is smaller, a flag certificate will suffice.

As far as I know there is no annual tax. VAT will be due when the boat enters European Waters.

You will need documentation of ownership (sale contract), documentation of giving up the other flag, your passport and you need to choose a home port.

You will also need a Measurement Certificate which you get from the Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie (BSH).
As your boat is already registered in France the CE Certificate should not be a problem.

Let me know how it worked out for you, I’m planning the same process.
Greetings,
Martin
tomcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 18:27   #3
mfw

Thanks Martin. The vat has been paid. I am under the impression that once it has been paid, the new owner will not be liable for any vat?
In Australia if you purchased a boat that is Australian flagged when the boat is outside of Australia .The new owner has to pay gst when it's returned to Australia. Even though it's been taxed before.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 06:11   #4

Hi mfw,
In principle, VAT in Europe has only to be paid once. But there are exceptions: If the boat has been outside Europe for a longer time, it looses its property as merchandise of the (European) common market (I don't know the proper translation of this technical term). If that happens, VAT ist once again due on the current value. The rules on this are not quite clear so there is room for negotiation. If you need more info on this subject, you could pm me: martin dot beutel al web dot de.
Martin
tomcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 06:25   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

You should contact the Deutscher Seglerverband in Hamburg.
They can provide an Internationaler Bootsschein upon proof of purchase.
Usually this is fully sufficient for boats under 15m.
Ask them also regarding the VAT issue. Normally they are very helpful and friendly.

Enjoy,

Franziska

www.ladyrover.com
Old 15-09-2016, 09:53   #6

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

Hi,
Concerning the VAT:
Make sure, that you have documents, that proof the payment of the VAT. I when your boat is entering the EU the VAT payment has to be proofed by the current owner

Cheers
Fred
suedstern1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, Germany