Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 08:40   #1

Boat: I have just purchased a 2009 49 Beneteau named Paradise II
Send a message via AIM to Big Moe Send a message via Yahoo to Big Moe
Cetol Natural Teak on the Deck

Hello Fellow Sailors:

I have recently purchased a 2009 49 Beneteau with a teak deck in the cockpit. I have used Cetol with great success on all my rails and my cockpit seats. I put three coats on everything and it easily lasted the complete Chesapeake Bay season. I keep reading that it will become slippery when wet! Is there anyting that will not be slippery but will give my teak a golden color as I dislike the gray look.

Thanks,

Big Moe
Big Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:48   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I use a product called "TEAK GUARD".follow the instructions and you will love the results.......way better than Cetol!!!!!!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:11   #3

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Thumbs up Semco Teak Sealer, Cetol Natural & Gloss!!!

I too have been using Cetol Natural + Cetrol Gloss on my teak rails, dorades, rail, etc. I had been leaving the seats natural and let it gray but found it molded after a season so I tried Semco Teak Sealer for my seats. I've been pleased with both products. I do have to recoat with Semco about every three months but only takes about 10 minutes becasue you can apply each coat immediatly after each other

Heres a few photos showing the difference;

Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 05:10   #4

Boat: Nimble Nomad Trawler
Its my understanding that Cetol does not have the abrasion resistance for surfaces that get frequent wear.
"Sweet Pea" Hull #1
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 05:58   #5

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Cetol on the decks? NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo! Clear enough?

We use Cetol on our brightwork and like it. But things like the caprail get slippery when wet. The notion of decks in that state is... scary, unsafe, and truly a potential liability.

Please understand that those spiffy golden decks you see at boat shows are an aberration. Sure, you can do that, too, but expect to replace the decks due to excessive wear. Silver decks are teak's normal state when in use.

Honest, cry a river over the loss of golden decks, build a bridge, and get over it.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:14   #6

I second Teakguard. It allows the teak to remain non-skid and the color is a beautiful golden honey. I stripped Cetol off all my teak awhile back. I like the Teakguard appearance much better.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 10:14   #7
GreatKetch

If you dislike the look of a teak deck, why did you buy a boat with a teak deck????? If you like Cetol you can come pretty close to that look with orange paint and nonskid granules.

In addition to reducing the nonskid performance, if you have to do any kind of sanding as part of your finish installation or maintenance you are dramatically reduing the lifespan of the teak deck.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:39   #8

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
You can keep that nice "Honey" teak color by scrubbing the decks once a week. Be sure to scrub against the grain.

Myself, I dislike teak decks on a cruising boat for a multitude of reasons.

For bright-work, I used Cetol for many years. If you keep after it and coat it once every other month, it looks great (if it doesn't get chafed). Once the Sun gets to through coating, it must be sanded back to achieve a nice finish.

For someone that is going cruising, has a lot of teak on the topsides and wants to avoid all the hassle, here is a great remedy.

Do a first class varnish job with about 6 coats (take lots of pictures). Let it set for 60 days, do a light sand with 180 grit paper and put a coat of paint on it. It will last for years. When you are done cruising, sand off the paint and you will have your beautiful varnish back. 2 coats and your back on schedule for re-coating every 3 months.

If you would rather spend time varnishing (instead of exploring) while cruising, varnish away.

Cetol (and Cetol like coatings) does not hold up to chafe. Even a boom cover rubbing on a spot, in a breeze will chafe it easily. Dinghy painters are killers. If the surface gets chafed (even a little) the Sun will get to the wood and it will need to be sanded back before re-coating. Varnish stands up to chafe and salt water far better. It's just a lot more work.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak deck