Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2016, 10:08   #1

Boat: CS
CCA type yawls...

I'm talking about the Bermuda 40, Block Island 40, Allied XL 2 and others.

Beautiful to look at... but how about sailing ability? I know they were designed as rule beaters. They seem to heel over pretty quickly until they "dig in" and I know personally the Bermuda 40 can be a wet boat. Also with the short waterline they tend to hobbyhorse in a chop. But what are the good points?

Storage? Build quality? Are they comfortable off the wind?
6227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 10:43   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: CCA type yawls...

",What are the good points?"
Looks
Old 26-10-2016, 13:01   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
",What are the good points?"
Looks
All too true, but IMO the good looks are due to the hull shape, not the "yawliness".. If one were to remove the mizzen, it would still be pretty. I do believe that Rod Stevens once said that given such a boat he could improve both the performance and the appearance with an axe.

I know that there are enthusiasts who love the appearance of yawls, but I've never seen the attraction myself.

jim
Old 26-10-2016, 16:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The mizzen on a yawl offers very little addition of sailing drive other than the ability to set a Mizzen Staysail on limited points of sail. They can help balance the helm, in maneuvering the boat under sail and help to reduce the boat sailing at anchor. If the boat is large enough, like say over 35', they just look cool. Still kicking myself for not buying a Bristol 39 yawl.

As far as sailing abilities, the boats you mentioned make fine cruising boats and reel off very respectable daily runs in typical ocean conditions. The won't surf like the newer, lighter big assed boats and not be light air flyers but will sail quite well in force 3-4 conditions and oftern outsail the newer boats in stronger winds. One thing they will have is an easy motion because of their usually slack bilges and heavier displacement. Because of design, they will be initially tender but start to harden up past 10 degrees of heel and just put their shoulders down and drive between 15-25 degrees of heel without a ton of rail meat the the newer boats require. Don't know whether it has anything to do with the yawl rig or whether they are yawl's at all, but Bristol 39/40's have done exceedingly well in the Bermuda races against the 'new' boats. It's not the waterline length but the overhangs that cause them to hobby horse but haven't found that to be a problem except in extreme chop like the Potato Patch off the Golden Gate Bridge my CCA design. They will often sail above their theoretical water line speed when heeled and the over hangs extend the effective water line.

Biggest negative is the additional slip fees for a CCA type boat. You end up paying for the overhangs that make them look so good. A typical CCA 40' boat will have the interior volume of a much shorter new design. You do get a much better 'sea' cabin lay out and lots of storage that seem to be absent in the latest tupper ware.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 21:20   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I spent a couple of years on a Knutsen 35, which was a 35' cutter rigged yawl. Gorgeous boat, sailed very well, although not as fast as a plastic fantastic in light airs.
Like ketches, one of the yawls advantages is being able to drop the main and sail "jib & jigger" in heavier air conditions.
Old 26-10-2016, 21:51   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hobby horsing can be reduced by keeping weight amidships, but usually there's a lot of chain at one end and fuel at the other. And then if things are moved inward, the lack of storage volume relative to length is more of an issue. I think the virtues come more in the form of "sea-kindliness" which is tough to quantify, but lends many to wax affectionately about actually sailing the ol' CCA designs. I have not sailed a yawl (BTW Olin Stephens was more fond of his yawls than his brother it seems even though Rod raced it successfully) but I'd like to have the option FSMike mentioned available. "Dorade" was a yawl, pretty famous for setting the new standard in its day. Olin Stephens felt "Stormy Weather" was one of his favorites even though the yawl design didn't come off their drawing boards much later on.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 00:06   #7

Boat: 41' yawl

- Jib + Jigger (no main) is a balanced, awesome, easy, relaxing way to sail the boat when singlehanded, or tired, or the wind has really picked up, or you just don't want to spill your beer, or you've got a busy cockpit full of non sailors..

- Having a mizzen as part of the sailplan makes the main a little more manageable, sizewise..

- With the boom extending well aft of the transom, it makes for a very convenient boom crane to get your engine off your dink and onto the mothership.

- Leave the mizzen up, heavily reefed, at anchor, to limit motion.

- Its a great spot for the radar to avoid being in the way of the genoa.

and most importantly...

- Its another fun thing to noodle with
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 00:15   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Keep in mind that when they were designed, roller furler was barely on the drawing board. And that 35' was the Maximum sized vessel that it was thought that a couple could handle, if not a bit smaller. So that splitting rigs was kind of mandatory.

Also, modern (Dacron) sailcloth was in it's infancy, as was modern sail design & construction. So that the sails pretty much had to be smaller. As bigger ones had fairly short lifespans due to materials drawbacks.

I think that boats like this were some of the early, "bigger" cruising boats. Though they were commonly raced by large crews. And vs. a competition fleet that looked much different than today's.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:07   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
-----vs. a competition fleet that looked much different than today's.
The primary purpose of a yawl under the CCA rules was free sail area. Sails aft of the rudder post didn't count.
Old 27-10-2016, 19:30   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser? - Page 8 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 14:00   #11

Boat: Alberg 35

I sail an Alberg 35, I know there was a 37 that came as a yawl and had pretty much the same characteristics. Yes, she does heel easily at first, but then about 25 deg she just digs in. Not as fast as the modern boats when the wind is light; easy motion and she sheds water without it coming on board in waves. Not nearly the space of a modern boat but I like her .. it's a style thing. No reason to it. But then I could say the same about why my wife loves me..."the heart has reasons reason doesn't know".
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 15:40   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Jim
There were also Pearson built Alberg 35s
Old 01-11-2016, 10:21   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like what I see in the Bristol 40 and would like to go sailing on one.
Bristol made 149 of them from 1970-1997. Some were cutters, some were yawls. Both the cutters and the yawls have about 709 square feet of sail area.

I just posted some information about a Bristol 40 Yawl (1970) that may appeal to Bristol fans.

This is a boat at a very low price ($17,500) due to a death in the owner's family. Located in USVI. Lots of photos, info, low hours on engine, equipped for cruising (gear lists in post).

I also created another post in a sister thread (Boats with Shallow Draft) that contains more photos of other Bristol 40s and current Asking Prices etc.

The lowest cost boat is NOT on Yachtworld. It was posted as a notice yesterday in a Facebook sailing group in which I am a member. So it is a FSBO boat.

Look for my post #265 in this thread.
Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds - Page 18 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote