Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 19:24   #16

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Caymans to where???

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I was just about to post here too The sail is easy this time of year as there are no trade-winds, just tropical waves with depressions, storms or worse... but you see those coming from the Azores already.

You may even find that taking enough diesel is the biggest problem but even that solves itself when the next tropical wave catches up with you.

I would wait for little to no wind, then motor straight to Port Antonio across Jamaica north coast. Just wait for the weather window with little to no wind.

From there it is a nice sail into the safety of Panama (leave as a wave passes unless there are too many big squalls in it), but if you have time to enjoy yourself, do the Colombia coast like I describe in the other post. Once you get south of the northern point of Colombia (Punta Galina) you are safe from hurricanes.

cheers,
Nick.
We'll have the time so starting from the Columbia end sounds good.
We're heading through the canal next year to start the coconut run to Aus.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 19:36   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
We'll have the time so starting from the Columbia end sounds good.
We're heading through the canal to start the coconut run to Aus next year.

Vic
I would've fed you Cuba Libres upon your arrival in Colon, but fear we'll be gone for the summer by then.

But I have a full photo-album of the trip incl. many shots of chartplotter displays showing lat-long etc. That trip starts in the ABC's so you would join in at Bahia Honda which is at the very northern end of Colombia:

The trip starts here (click on the pic to jump in there):

which is in Aruba as we're hit by a hurricane (but September and highly unlikely path... no worries).

Let's see if I can link to the first real picture in Colombia, Bahia Honda:

That is Punta Gallina behind us. Using only the mainsail is because we buddy-boat with a catamaran which is much slower (oh my )

When you get to the end of September, you can click back to the "Archive-2007" folder and continue with October etc. until you get to Colon in Panama which is Januari 2008.

When you hover your mouse over these pictures, a panel pops up that allows you to download full resolution versions which is handy for the ones with chart displays.

EDIT: Here is the first chart picture of Colombia. Note the plotter display of Bahia Honda, plus ll the network data to the right of the chart.

when you're in the album you can also click on the pic again to zoom in further.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 19:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I would've fed you Cuba Libres upon your arrival in Colon, but fear we'll be gone for the summer by then.

cheers,
Nick.
Maybe I should reconsider with a direct line to Colon!

Thanks for the links. I'll follow them with great interest.

Vic

Old 19-06-2012, 09:06   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

More good advice from S/V Jedi...Port Antoinio is great and they have a lift and a Yacht club that is safe and secure...You can head up into the Blue Mts. get some good coffee,stock up on good Rum and provisions,then spend time checking out the country side...good luck ...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:05   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

really in a tough place this time of year --
first - where are you getting your wx from?? if ssb are you using parker? if so you can work with him on a wx window to puerto rico or to bay isl and then rio for hurricane season - if not then you have to do your own long range wx planning

second - in the winter from rio to panama is not bad - you just have to wait for wx windows and when the wind stops blowing you can motor a day around the corner and then sail south to panama - patience is required

third - if you go to puerto rico - why go to port antonio?? it is on the way east end of pr and you can yellow flag negril (about 175nm or so from where you are now) at the end of pr and have some good protection and have a 550nm south run to panama - BUT be careful as trop waves are coming thru these days on a regular so you need to plan to leave right behind one - we ran panama to pr on a close hull so going other way s/b a kinda down hill run -

just our thoughts

chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the hook bequia
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 20:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
really in a tough place this time of year --
first - where are you getting your wx from?? if ssb are you using parker? if so you can work with him on a wx window to puerto rico or to bay isl and then rio for hurricane season - if not then you have to do your own long range wx planning

second - in the winter from rio to panama is not bad - you just have to wait for wx windows and when the wind stops blowing you can motor a day around the corner and then sail south to panama - patience is required

third - if you go to puerto rico - why go to port antonio?? it is on the way east end of pr and you can yellow flag negril (about 175nm or so from where you are now) at the end of pr and have some good protection and have a 550nm south run to panama - BUT be careful as trop waves are coming thru these days on a regular so you need to plan to leave right behind one - we ran panama to pr on a close hull so going other way s/b a kinda down hill run -

just our thoughts

chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the hook bequia
The ssb on this boat has an aerial issue so can transmit but not recieve. Need someone who knows their way areond ssb to take a look at it. In the mean time we'll be using passageweather.com

Not sure I understand your thinking regarding Puerto Rico in your first and third... seems a long way east. Jamaica maybe?

Old 20-06-2012, 04:57   #22

whoops -- yes jamica - negil on the end
sorry

chuck
Old 20-06-2012, 08:22   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
whoops -- yes jamica - negil on the end
sorry

chuck
Negril is on the west end ,SE of The Caymens,one could motor there in a little over a day or so but it is a hedonistic place at best and Westmoreland is perhaps the poorest place in the country...Great for a visit but I wouldnt want to stay very long...Pt.Antonio Is to the far east of the island(145-150 miles away)but they take care of boaters and you can hang out at Erroyl Flynns and Ian Flemmings(James Bond) former digs(navy Island is nice) and a stroll up to Bonnie View is a nice way to spend an evening...so much to do in Jamaica and its a good place to hang out waiting the season,imo...and its rather cheap..Mo Bay has a good Yacht club but the city is run a muck w/ tourist and all that intells(begging,hustling,petty theft at night)as in most places like this best to be indoors after dark..Good luck...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 09:14   #24

totally agree with all tropicalescape had to say - you can leave from pt antonio and head around the end of the isl and get the down hill run to panama - with the right wx window -
and yes port antonio is just a wonderful stop - while there ask them to put on an old errol flynn movie and they will - great way to spend an evening

chuck
Old 20-06-2012, 10:11   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Yep, I had put Port Antonio in because of this being the first trip and the facilities you have available there, plus the good angle for Bahia Honda in Colombia, which is a reach from there.

p.s. the next place with people other than fisherman and marine facilities is Santa Martha, so for the places in between you need to bring everything and be totally self supporting. But Santa Martha is only 1 day sailing downwind from any Colombian place north of Santa Martha, so should not be a problem. The same is true for the area between Santa Martha and Cartagena: beautiful but no shops nor services. And then same again between Cartagena and Colon, Panama.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 15:57   #26

There is such a wealth of good information here.
It's particularly good to hear that Jamaica is a great destination. I had the impression it was spoilt and a touch hostile. Sound like we shouldn't hurry through it too fast.

Old 20-06-2012, 16:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

most people think west indians are hostile when they first meet them,mainly due to the way that they sware at each other all the time.

once you have been there a while you will realise that "cussin de mon cus i's vexed is how i's respondin al de time" is quite normal and how they talk to each other all the time and it is very rare to see any real aggresive behaviour amongst the west indians.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 16:17   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

might want to try some of these words in the c.i,will definitely guarentee respect and a few laugh's if injected into conversation with the locals!

Rasta/Patois Dictionary
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 18:23   #29

Boat: Whitby 42

Just trolling posts, and found this thread. I live in Cayman. Our boat is in the Rio Dulce to get out of harms way. Going to go get her in October. Bring her back here to finish a refit and go cruising. Was thinking about going to Roatan and try to catch a NWs'tr to scoot home,but recently found a thread indicating Roatan has become very cruiser unfriendly...

Haven't decided at this point if we'll just bite the bullet and beat it home or scoot up Belize and the Yucatan and hope for weather and skirt over to the Cuba coast and home. Wind patterns that time of year here flukey. El Nino seems to be in effect this year. that usually translates to low hurricane activity in the Caribbean. Been a bit wierd the last couple years as well...

Around Christmas, we'll be headed to Montego Bay/Negril for a bit and then south to who knows where in Panama. May or may not stop at the Sister Islands (Little Cayman and Cayman Brac.

If your boat is in Cayman, PM me. I've lived here for 5 years in August, and would be happy to help in any way I can.
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 08:07   #30

raybo -- missing the bay islands and around are a lot of miles - let's not even think of the clearing in and out issues - specially in belieze - and let's not mention the crossing of the gulf stream up there

we just had a friend leave roatan for hurricane season and as he put it there are issues everywhere and just take precautions - what about guanaha (sp)
we actually came out of the rio at about noonish and did an overnight run to roatan - frenchmans harbor (i think that is the name) - took a taxi to the capital to check in and had a great visit -
then when we got the wx window headed out to guanaha and then down around the corner - but you are headed in a positive direction so should have a good sail

good luck