Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 00:31   #31

Re: Caught the Bug and would like advice.

My wife and I are in the middle of getting ready to go cruising. Working on our boat has been enlightening but as far as "learning to sail", racing on Wed nights has been the single biggest confidence booster. You get into a habit in the Summer of sailing every single Wed night and you pick up tons of knowledge and learn the feel of a well sailed boat. I'd highly suggest you attempt to incorporate it into your plan if you live near a place where sailors race.
Old 15-10-2013, 01:12   #32

Good advice, many cruisers are lousy sailors. If you really want to learn to sail, go racing! I know there is much more to learn than sailing when your cruising but nothing will teach you sailing better or faster than racing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 06:20   #33

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowilldo View Post
Wow, what a great boat. I was just reading up on them today. Love the design and lapstrake construction. The lay out on the 27 seemed pretty good too. I think it might be too small for the wife and I since the end product we are looking at is a circumnavigation, so I am leaning toward their 37 footer. I have not been able to find any good pics of it's overall layout just tiny wire diagrams. How is the layout working for u? It blows my mind that a 27' long 8' beam can be so apparently roomy. is the inboard easily accessible (one of the things i like about the Tartans 34C)? It's under the floor, right? How is the aft cabin does it seem big enough for a 6'2" 200lb guy and 5' wife? I would definitely go for one of these designs if the op presents itself.
I don't have the aft-cabin, I have the aft-cockpit so there are quarterberths in the main cabin instead of aft. I am 6'5"/220lb and have no problem fitting in the quarterberths. Here's a video I made showing the space I have: When the table is down for v-berth space, there is more room. I have interior pictures here: Rhapsody: Preparations Continue

The engine is usually accessible from behind the companionway stairs on many boats. I like the layout of my boat. It works well and I have lots of storage that I could fill up with gear. While I was doing work on the boat while it was on its trailer, I did a tour of the boat. I should redo it since it's cleaned up a little better since then but this will give you an idea of the space I have in my boat.

While I have seen pictures of a couple and their two kids traveling on a boat and homeschooling their kids, it does sound like you could use a larger boat. As suggested by others, you could go for something smaller to build up your skills before going bigger. I ended up getting the Nor'sea by chance and now feel that this could be my only boat as it's built so well.

Keep us posted on your process of learning to sail, possible boat purchases and anything else along the way. Even posting the stuff that didn't go right is entertaining/educational to others.

Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 06:55   #34

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Be careful of book downloads. Sometimes they sign you up for something that you have to be careful to "opt out of" or you get charged $33+ per month. I didn't research this particular link, but you may want to do so.
You were so right. Sorry all, that was an untested link to a pay for downloads service.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:22   #35

Amazing ship, I have seen several Nor'Sea 27's on-line that are in terrible disrepair below decks. Yours looks mint. Watched you vids and your blog. Starting to make me think a Nor'Sea 27 or Bristol Channel Cruiser 28' might not be a bad idea. Originally, I just assumned they were too small. Now I think my wife and I (18 years married and quite close) could definately do long trips in either of these. Also, I checked over your wish list of upgrades and was especially impressed with the Composting toilet. Have you or anyone else here used them before? Do they work as well as the claims? If so it sure beats holding tanks. Again, great ship I hope I come across something that looks half as good. Good luck on getting her back out again.
maestrowilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 14:54   #36

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

Maestro,

I'm in the military and retire in a little under three years. We started looking and then happened upon the boat we wanted, at the right price. It's a "fixer-upper" but we're learning the systems, and will know it like the back of our hands when we leave. We've also got three years to sail her before we go.

Good luck with your adventure. Since you don't have any sailing experience, starting small and giving yourself a few waypoints to evaluate the plan is smart. It's better to have a 28' sailboat and decide it's not for you... than to buy a $250K boat, get through the Panama Canal, and decide that it's not for you.

Good luck,
S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 15:40   #37

Quote:
Amazing ship, I have seen several Nor'Sea 27's on-line that are in terrible disrepair below decks. Yours looks mint. Watched you vids and your blog. Starting to make me think a Nor'Sea 27 or Bristol Channel Cruiser 28' might not be a bad idea. Originally, I just assumned they were too small. Now I think my wife and I (18 years married and quite close) could definately do long trips in either of these. Also, I checked over your wish list of upgrades and was especially impressed with the Composting toilet. Have you or anyone else here used them before? Do they work as well as the claims? If so it sure beats holding tanks. Again, great ship I hope I come across something that looks half as good. Good luck on getting her back out again.
Thanks for the compliments. If you look at the earlier posts of the blog, you'll see that it wasn't as nicely organized as it is now. I think I got lucky and got a good deal on it. Mainly needed cleaning and some repairs (which never end) and it's been doing pretty good for me.

I haven't even used the regular head in the boat but the chemical smell coming from the head is compelling me to go with composting. I've heard of others who went with it and are very happy with it. When I went to the Annapolis Boat Show, I looked over the Air head and Natures Head to see what would work better for the space. I was leaning towards the NH but looking at the actual size of them, I think the AH would be better suited for my boat as it's physically a little smaller.

Click on for YouTube and go to 6:17 and you'll see part of this interview where a guy went with composting. He has a AH and says it was a great decision. (The other interview videos from Drake are pretty good)

Where are you stationed? I don't know about the BCC but for the NS27, there are owners all over. You might be able to check one out. Actually, that goes for any boat you may consider buying. Get on them and see how they are. I was actually told to stay away from the NS27 because of it's size down below but I really like it anyway.
Old 16-10-2013, 16:14   #38

I completely agree, while I love the idea and my wife is currently backing me. Things may change. Seasickness may be a problem, open water fears, etc... That is why we are doing the crawl, walk, run method. We'll see. I should have a small daysailer by spring of next year. With each vessel I expect to make many changes and maintenace catch up. I consider this a great way to learn your equipment inside and out. What 'fixer upper' did you end up with?
Old 16-10-2013, 16:42   #39

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
I am currently deployed in the Military and will be retiring in 8 years at the ripe age of 45.

(snipped)

6) Spend a year or so getting things straight then pick up and head out. I eventually want to Circumnavigate taking 6+ years to do it.

So what do you guys think. Is it crazy or doable. Any advice, insight, warnings?
First and most important of all, thank you for serving. I appreciate the sacrifices you've made so I can sit on my tiny trawler and enjoy life afloat!

And, this very topic is one I wrote an article about three days ago. It's here:
http://janice142.com/Articles/MakingTheRightChoice.html
should you wish to peruse same. Perhaps it might offer a bit of insight. Of course like all advice, it's worth what you paid. So, buy me a cuppa when we meet along the waterfront.

And good luck.
Old 16-10-2013, 17:24   #40

Boat: Vancouver 27

If going composting, the other brand to consider is the C-Head. It's a bit smaller than the AirHead or Nature Head and a bit simpler and cheaper.

I'm fitting a composting head on my Vancouver 27 right now and, after making a cardboard mock-up of the C-Head, it was still too big. So I'm going custom. The mileage will vary on pocket cruisers depending largely on the location of the head (mine's up front). My guess is that the further aft it is, the better one of these off the shelf composters will tend to fit (they have a lot of depth to them).
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 09:25   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
If going composting, the other brand to consider is the C-Head. It's a bit smaller than the AirHead or Nature Head and a bit simpler and cheaper.

I'm fitting a composting head on my Vancouver 27 right now and, after making a cardboard mock-up of the C-Head, it was still too big. So I'm going custom. The mileage will vary on pocket cruisers depending largely on the location of the head (mine's up front). My guess is that the further aft it is, the better one of these off the shelf composters will tend to fit (they have a lot of depth to them).
Dang. You guys took me off on a tangent, just spent a couple days researching urine separating compose toilets and there's a lot on the internet. C-Head looks good, so does Separett Waterless toilets, and there are many DIY solutions. I think there will be a lot of improvements as this method takes traction.
Old 18-10-2013, 17:11   #42

Since so many of you have talked about how easy it is to get a small sailboat on the cheap, I looked around. I found this 80 miles from where I live. It is a 1976 Catalina 22' Swing Keel. Trailer is included, as are a Main, Jib, and Genoa. The sails are said to be in 'good' condition. The inside has been completely redone, as has the entire exterior this year. He upgraded and repaired the trailer in 2012, new brakes (electric), tires(x3), and axle. On the side he's offering a 4HP motor with low hours, from what I have read this is likely too small.

Any pointers would be appreciated. My wife, most likely, will be looking it over next week. While I have lots of ideas as too what to check for more would be appreciated. Also, does this seem like a good price? If I get it I could be putting it in the water as soon as the weather and Military allows. Again thanks for all the help you have sent my way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 002.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	68927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 009.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	68928  

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 012.JPG
Views:	1898
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	68929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 013.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	68930  

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 014.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	68931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 015.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	68932  

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 008.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	68933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina 22  1976 017.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	68934  

Old 21-10-2013, 10:58   #43

Quote:
... 1976 Catalina 22' Swing Keel. Trailer is included... On the side he's offering a 4HP motor with low hours, from what I have read this is likely too small.

Any pointers would be appreciated... If I get it I could be putting it in the water as soon as the weather and Military allows. Again thanks for all the help you have sent my way.
IMO... C22 is a nice day sailor/camper and the cockpit will be great size for your family. This looks to be in very good condition compared to my old one. Seems to be well cared for, but don't be shy. Go ahead and raise the mast and sails (you want to learn this process from the PO anyway)... better yet put it in the water before you buy. Check the rigging for burrs and the swing keel cable, lift the sole and check your bilges (check with an ice-pick or screwdriver). and dive deep in the saloon and cockpit lockers. Look for damage in the fuel locker. Look for any evidence of deck or window leaks. make sure the deck hardware, rudder Pintles, and Gudgeons aren't loose, poorly bedded, or cracked fiberglass. Lift the pop top and check the canvas (if any).

We had a 5hp honda on our C22. Only time it was really huffing & puffing was in the spring when the Columbia River was flowing at 6mph. I didn't see what price they are asking, but compare it to a couple other similar boats in your area. My experience, I bought a cabin and boat that were in very good condition. I have friends that bought fixers and I think I've been much more happy with my purchases.
Old 21-10-2013, 14:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
IMO... C22 is a nice day sailor/camper and the cockpit will be great size for your family. This looks to be in very good condition compared to my old one. Seems to be well cared for, but don't be shy. Go ahead and raise the mast and sails (you want to learn this process from the PO anyway)... better yet put it in the water before you buy. Check the rigging for burrs and the swing keel cable, lift the sole and check your bilges (check with an ice-pick or screwdriver). and dive deep in the saloon and cockpit lockers. Look for damage in the fuel locker. Look for any evidence of deck or window leaks. make sure the deck hardware, rudder Pintles, and Gudgeons aren't loose, poorly bedded, or cracked fiberglass. Lift the pop top and check the canvas (if any).

We had a 5hp honda on our C22. Only time it was really huffing & puffing was in the spring when the Columbia River was flowing at 6mph. I didn't see what price they are asking, but compare it to a couple other similar boats in your area. My experience, I bought a cabin and boat that were in very good condition. I have friends that bought fixers and I think I've been much more happy with my purchases.
Thanks for your insight jkindredpdx. I get most of what you suggest, but what am I supposed to use the ice pick or screw driver for in the bilge? I'll put the stuff you mentioned in a check list for when we go see the PO. It was exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 21-10-2013, 15:03   #45

Looks nice and clean. Chances are the PO took care of it. I've seen some C22's that were nowhere near looking that nice.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.