Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 03:17   #166

Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

To be honest these types of debates are important for us newbies. The sheer fact that Cats are in demand means that if everything doesn't go well chances are you can get rid of them fairly quickly. Also, the performance at anchor is important for a family of non-sailors, if I take my family out and they are sea-sick all the time, my cruising dreams are all over bar the shouting
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 03:42   #167

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
To be honest these types of debates are important for us newbies. The sheer fact that Cats are in demand means that if everything doesn't go well chances are you can get rid of them fairly quickly. Also, the performance at anchor is important for a family of non-sailors, if I take my family out and they are sea-sick all the time, my cruising dreams are all over bar the shouting
Mate, if you think that you can't get sea sick on a multi hull, you may be in for a shock! Every person has a different reaction to motion, and for some, the motion of a multi, especially a cat, is bad news. A little experimentation would be a good investment if you are worried about that aspect of sailing.

Jim
Old 27-07-2015, 04:24   #168

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

Wow!..somebody that thinks that you can get seasick at anchor on a catamaran must not have ever lived on a catamaran at anchor. Have never heard of that ever happening. But I have heard of long time monohull owners...salty sailors, getting seasick because of the rolly anchorage and had to pick up the hook and find another spot. A cat at anchorage has no more movement than a moving car - even after a squall moved through yesterday, where we had white-capping waves in the anchorage - where boats were snapping their anchor chains, our boat was hardly moving. And the argument that rocking back and forth makes you feel more like you're at sea? That's the most extreme case of trying to find something positive out of something terrible that I've ever heard - have never, ever heard a monohull owner say they enjoy the rocking back and forth at anchor because it makes them feel more at sea! Believe me, you'll get all the feeling of the sea while you're pounding through 10 foot seas with a 25 knot wind. When I'm at anchor and enjoying dinner, the last thing I want to do is catch my drink from sliding off the table.
Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 04:26   #169

Quote:
I spent about 3 years working on a 60' aluminum power cat. One of the crew, very much a professional seaman got violently ill every time we left the dock in anything more than about a 1 metre sea.

I remember one particularly unpleasant trip in November when he was awaiting a hernia operation. The seas were about a metre and a half, wind was blowing, blizzard conditions, it was cold for november, about -10 Celsius.

He spent about 8 hours kneeling on the non skid deck, shivering and puking/dry heaving. Every time he wretched, his hernia would pop out and he would have to push it back in with his index finger, every 5 minutes or so, for about 8 hours.

Cats might roll less at anchor, but pounding into seas forward of the beam can be absolute misery.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 04:31   #170

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamoron View Post
Wow!..somebody that thinks that you can get seasick at anchor on a catamaran must not have ever lived on a catamaran at anchor. Have never heard of that ever happening. But I have heard of long time monohull owners...salty sailors, getting seasick because of the rolly anchorage and had to pick up the hook and find another spot. A cat at anchorage has no more movement than a moving car - even after a squall moved through yesterday, where we had white-capping waves in the anchorage - where boats were snapping their anchor chains, our boat was hardly moving. And the argument that rocking back and forth makes you feel more like you're at sea? That's the most extreme case of trying to find something positive out of something terrible that I've ever heard - have never, ever heard a monohull owner say they enjoy the rocking back and forth at anchor because it makes them feel more at sea! Believe me, you'll get all the feeling of the sea while you're pounding through 10 foot seas with a 25 knot wind. When I'm at anchor and enjoying dinner, the last thing I want to do is catch my drink from sliding off the table.
So if you want to stay in anchored sipping sundowners defineatly get a cat
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 04:49   #171
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Well, at least a few of the poster realize that choosing a sailboat is like choosing a wife. The process can be rational or emotional. Nobody will agree on the criteria. And you will know if you got it right... or wrong. Finally, if you don't recognize that it is about compromise, perhaps you would be happier without one.
Old 27-07-2015, 04:52   #172
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Good analogy TW, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it right
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:24   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
So if you want to stay in anchored sipping sundowners defineatly get a cat
A beach side condo would probably be even more suitable and possibly cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamoron View Post
A cat at anchorage has no more movement than a moving car
that's more than enough movement to get some people sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-07-2015, 07:20   #174

I didn't mean to put my foot in it, so to speak, the point I was trying to make was that whilst these arguments maybe as old as time for regulars for the very new newbie, they are extremely interesting. I haven't been visiting for very long, but there does seem to be some sort of agreement that Cats do not move as much at anchor, on the basis that this would be virtually the only time my wife would be on the boat it seemed fairly important - (she'd fly to where I was anchored/moored). Also, before visiting I didn't realise there was such a disparity in living space between a Cat and a Monohull.
Old 27-07-2015, 07:47   #175

Quote:
Sounds like the best thing for you to do is to try a charter.

Old 27-07-2015, 07:58   #176

Thanks I'll probably end up with a mono anyway, if I'm on my own seems a bit pointless to be looking for space with the additional cost that entails, just so my family can spend a few days on board whilst I'm at anchor. If they don't like it I can just go ashore.
Old 27-07-2015, 08:46   #177

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Many modern yachts have their GRP hulls made by robots that make it to an incredible tolerance again and again and again and faster than a human could ever do it. These hulls are no less strong than their human made counterparts but cost a fraction of the price.
Please name one of the "many", if you can.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:03   #178

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Bavaria started that CAM/CAD robot trend, I believe. I think Beneteau group uses this to a great extent also - particularly in mold making.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 14:56   #179

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
A beach side condo would probably be even more suitable and possibly cheaper.

that's more than enough movement to get some people sick.

I sometimes wonder if people even understand their argument before they post a comment. If somebody gets car sick from the movement, they probably shouldn't be looking at buying any kind of boat. But for the average person that drives a car, living on a cat is about the same movement - but living on a monohull has made even the saltiest sailors sea sick because they can violently rock back and forth at what we on cats consider a comfortable anchorage. And as we sit here at anchorage, I see about half cats and half monos...so I guess mono hull owners sip sundowners at anchorage too, its just they spill theirs just holding onto it...where as I set mine on the table.
Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 15:22   #180

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I spent about 3 years working on a 60' aluminum power cat. One of the crew, very much a professional seaman got violently ill every time we left the dock in anything more than about a 1 metre sea.

I remember one particularly unpleasant trip in November when he was awaiting a hernia operation. The seas were about a metre and a half, wind was blowing, blizzard conditions, it was cold for november, about -10 Celsius.

He spent about 8 hours kneeling on the non skid deck, shivering and puking/dry heaving. Every time he wretched, his hernia would pop out and he would have to push it back in with his index finger, every 5 minutes or so, for about 8 hours.

Cats might roll less at anchor, but pounding into seas forward of the beam can be absolute misery.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Holy **** - that makes me twitch just reading about it!