Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 19:39   #91

Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Question for Monte, what do you think of a gemini vs a lagoon (of similar size). Same ball park? Different game?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:37   #92
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I haven't sailed or even been aboard a Gemini so I have no idea about the Gemini sorry
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:39   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I haven't sailed or even been aboard a Gemini so I have no idea about the Gemini sorry
Its like your Lagoon, only smaller and completely different.

Hope that helps.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:06   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Kk. Thx. I'm wanting to charter in BVI next winter and I'm trying to decide what I want to try.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:14   #95

Boat: a sailing boat

Outwardly, Geminis seem somewhat similar to Prouts. I think they may be pretty decent platforms for coastal cruising.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:10   #96

older Gemini are particularly tight for bridgedeck clearance, probably 'the' criteria to avoid slamming in a seaway. Lagoons do not appear to exhibit this issue.

I thought I might pass this on as well
http://www.endeavourcats.com/Magazin...ne_98Rally.pdf
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:20   #97

The reason I would like to charter a Gemini is they are within my price range to purchase, but there don't appear to be a lot for charter. So I'm wondering what would be comparable. Probably my best bet is just to find a Gemini.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:50   #98
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
older Gemini are particularly tight for bridgedeck clearance, probably 'the' criteria to avoid slamming in a seaway. Lagoons do not appear to exhibit this issue.

I thought I might pass this on as well
http://www.endeavourcats.com/Magazin...ne_98Rally.pdf

The older Gemini's actually have much more bridgedeck clearance than the newer ones. Seems every time they were redesigned, the bridgedeck dropped closer and closer to the water.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:56   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The older Gemini's actually have much more bridgedeck clearance than the newer ones. Seems every time they were redesigned, the bridgedeck dropped closer and closer to the water.
Sorry then
I had contrary information
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:28   #100

Sorry for not posting back sooner. and to be clear this is not a cat v mono thing...i think if I could afford a 38 foot cat someday I would in a heartbeat. I think the gemini is a great boat but do not love the salon which in comparison to a 45 foot mono I would argue is definitely a lot tighter. Some one posted, under 38 feet cats start not working as well in terms of interior spaces. and it seems generally you will spend less acquiring a 45 mono than a 36 and definitely a 38 foot cat. so even a cat lover might give pause in these size boats.
Duke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 02:18   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Some under 37 feet Catamaran saloons.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 09:49   #102

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
The reason I would like to charter a Gemini is they are within my price range to purchase, but there don't appear to be a lot for charter. So I'm wondering what would be comparable. Probably my best bet is just to find a Gemini.

SMJ is accurate in describing vanishing bridge deck clearance. This is my picture of the new Gemini legacy which replaces all other Geminis (now out out of production). That little grey area between the hulls at the stern is what's left of clearance with lightship plus four or five people aboard. You can see that the legacy is very weight sensitive. You won't be going anywhere close to weather by choice in this. Sorry for pic not being a video, it's just a still from a longer boat tour video record at Annapolis 2013. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432572108.130722.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	102695

Only the older Geminis show an appreciable price difference. I've looked at this countless ways (Legacy cost vs other small Cats of a modern design) and have passed on the Gemini in any configuration. For the cost of new, I'd prefer an Oceanis 38 or an FP Mahe, maybe even a Leapord 380 or for a little more, a Leapord 39. I am seriously considering the Oceanis 41 as the 2012s will be co king out of charter soon.

Charter a Mahe or a Leapord if your into cats. Maybe even a 40' monohull like the Oceanis or Dufour.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 10:00   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post

There are a few that are similar size (tomcat, endeavor 34, catlac 10m, etc...) but I wouldn't count on the performance and ride to be the same (not better or worse but different).

I would consider the legacy in the same catagory. A much different deisgn brief compared to the earlier models.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 10:15   #104

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
There are a few that are similar size (tomcat, endeavor 34, catlac 10m, etc...) but I wouldn't count on the performance and ride to be the same (not better or worse but different).

I would consider the legacy in the same catagory. A much different deisgn brief compared to the earlier models.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432573898.654227.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	102699
I like the Tomkat more than the Legacy but you won't find it in charter. Tomkats advantages include a dagger board to track to weather like a mono, less expensive, outboards that come out of the water when not in use, and it has a nice aft mounted SS arch. Also has better bridge deck clearance. Don't like the cockpit as it is setup like a seawind but lacks the size, don't like steering behind the bulkhead, and factory quality is variable. Also going forward you have to climb up on the coach roof. Freaks me out as if you lose footing the lifelines don't factor in to keep you on the deck.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 10:38   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Attachment 102699
I like the Tomkat more than the Legacy but you won't find it in charter. Tomkats advantages include a dagger board to track to weather like a mono, less expensive, outboards that come out of the water when not in use, and it has a nice aft mounted SS arch. Also has better bridge deck clearance. Don't like the cockpit as it is setup like a seawind but lacks the size, don't like steering behind the bulkhead, and factory quality is variable. Also going forward you have to climb up on the coach roof. Freaks me out as if you lose footing the lifelines don't factor in to keep you on the deck.
It's been a few years since I've been on a tomcat so forgive me if things have changed. Overall, I like them the down sides I saw:
- Will a centerboard coming down from the bridge deck be effective? In that respect the Gemini (not legacy) hold the advantage in that you can put down the board that is most favorable to conditions.
- I didn't like that the outboards came up thru the aft steps. Sooner or later someone is going to step on them and hopefully they are light enough that you aren't buying a new engine cover.

I actually liked the aft cockpit arrangement and I've changed my mind regarding going over the cabin. With cats designed to fit into a slip, there just isn't room to make wide side decks, so more often than not, we go over the top as opposed to shimying along the side and stubbing your toes. There are plenty of hand holds and with the stability, it's not too bad. Originally the PDQ approach (cabin pushed all the way outboard and lifelines running along the cabin top) was a turn off but now with more experience, I would prefer it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote