Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 17:18   #46

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lipari 41
Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Been many places, have lots of friends on the water, and here's the truth:

It's not about the boat.
rwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 17:38   #47

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwallace View Post

It's not about the boat.
Very true

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 00:27   #48

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
Yeah yeah, its been beat to death and usually the cat folks have much longer lists as to why they are better. But consider...the most typical mono is under 50 feet and arguably 45 feet. So if you are a person who cannot afford more than 45 feet, what would your comparative cat be for the price and size? As for size, lets say a new 45' mono is about 600 interior square feet. Comparably, I estimate that is something like 35-37' cat. Comparing the two (considering generally new boas)

1. Tons more options on the mono side...on the cat side you are talking a Gemini and maybe a mahe. That is it. Monos there are options galore to choose from.
2. Salon probably the same size in general.
3. Headroom way, way better on the mono.
4. Staterooms on the mono have width, probably slightly wider berths too.
5. Even if you say, no, 45' mono is like a 38-40' cat, I would say, the cats are so focused on the charter trade they try to squeeze in 3-4 heads and 3- 4 berths...wasted space for a typical cruising couple.
6. OK to the cockpit will be better in the cat right? Probably...though new monos are so fat nowadays, I am not so sure the cat's cockpit is so, s much better.

Thoughts? Yes I am focusing on space here, not sailing characteristics. I am a cat fan...but in looking to buy in 5+ years I am coming to find that if given the choice between a 45 mono and a 36 cat...I think the mono is quite competitive.
To my humble opinion, the only problem with the cats is that they are expensive- and this is because everybody is looking to buy a cat

The only monohull which can compete with a cat- in terms of deck salon/ cockpit space- is the Dufour ATOLL 43 or 50

However, the benefit of a cat is not only the much larger cockpit and the deck salon, it is also the higher re -sell value and of course the much better behavior at a mediterranean port while at anchor or moored stern to.
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 00:36   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
he did a nice job I thought, theres another he made of a tour of their boat

https://youtu.be/BDCsPPecGEQ

BTW an Impi is a Zulu warrior
I think you'll find.. an Impi is actually a Regiment of Zulu warriors.. not just one..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 00:59   #50

Boat: birchwood regent 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Sigh.

Methinks the point once more has been missed completely as to why a person purchases a Catamaran or a mono. This is a singular 'difference' and based on one aspect only.

Lets be real obvious. A Catamaran is NOT a mono. It doesnt look the same, does not handle the same and by golly is NOT the same. Personally I purchase a boat based on the individual characteristics of my requirements being met in a design and in space required and NOT solely on length or width.

Catamarans are purchased based on a lot of criterion being met. A more stable ride, a much better motion at anchor, less or no heeling during passage, privacy in the 2 hulls, not having to stow everything before setting off..... the list of differences is long and flogged to death.

There is a cost difference in having two hulls simply because.....well you have two hulls. But then if you want an Oyster mono but have a Westerly size wallet, its the same difference.

Go get your 45 foot mono in 5 years. Im sure the person who has a 40 foot catamaran wont mind. He may have paid a little more for his 2 hulls but not once will he have compared it to a mono except in passing. He or she bought a catamaran because...... well they like a catamaran. They probably thought it met their cruising criterion and like the width and the length and the space and motion and the stability and the ease of use plus a million other reasons.

Currently I have 2 monos and the use of one Cat from time to time. I love the Centaur for coastal hops around the UK but prefer the lagoon 380 in Mallorca for living on and motion. Would I swap the monos for a Cat? You betcha. I will do in time.

I insist a person must be free to purchase whatever vessel their heart desires, and their pocket can match. Some people even buy motor boats!

Your line of reasoning is a non starter.

we have a mono, and then a motor boat instead of a cat but for the same reasons, they each meet our different requirements, we sail on open water, and cruise the rivers in the motor boat

John Rid
johnrid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:11   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Reason I love a Mono..
On a long trip I can drop the salon table and make large bunk.. sette.. everything is within arms reach from the Chart table to the kettle on the stove.. I can wallow for days..
Reason I love a Cat..
Always somewhere to escape the naggers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Fundamentally, it comes down to this :

The right monohull is a thing of beauty and grace - tradition and technology fused to make the most perfect machine ever built, while multihulls have all the beauty and grace of a kitchen appliance that's somehow fallen in the ocean.

Personally, the competing issues of high acquisition costs and roominess aside, I've yet to find a cat which was pleasing to my eye from the outside. And also, why do cats always come in any color as long as it's white?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:22   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I generally prefer space layout on a mono.

On a cat, it is like living on a balcony and in two coffins. Some new cats do much better than many old ones in this respect: topside windows added, beamier hulls, etc.

b.
Wow, you pre-purchased a coffin with wrap around windows?

We can sit up in bed and look out at the world. Most of the 35'ish cats offer similar ability.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:24   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Reason I love a Mono..
On a long trip I can drop the salon table and make large bunk.. sette.. everything is within arms reach from the Chart table to the kettle on the stove.. I can wallow for days..
Reason I love a Cat..
Always somewhere to escape the naggers..
I think you got that backwards. Several cats offer drop down salon tables that make up into bunks and I often grab things from the galley while sitting at the dinette.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:51   #55

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Fundamentally, it comes down to this :

The right monohull is a thing of beauty and grace - tradition and technology fused to make the most perfect machine ever built, while multihulls have all the beauty and grace of a kitchen appliance that's somehow fallen in the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post

Personally, the competing issues of high acquisition costs and roominess aside, I've yet to find a cat which was pleasing to my eye from the outside. And also, why do cats always come in any color as long as it's white?
This is why they still build and sell monohulls! To satisfy those nostalgic types that are not able to cope with changes to better form and function!

Some still carry a wind-up pocket watch while others have an Apple Watch!!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:53   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Wow, you pre-purchased a coffin with wrap around windows?

We can sit up in bed and look out at the world. Most of the 35'ish cats offer similar ability.
What land people call beds boat people call bunks perhaps?

;-)

And, seriously: I love cats and I know they are the cruising today and the future. But I have seen only one this far that was anything less than claustrophobic down below in the hulls. She was, I think, about 50'.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:33   #57

Boat: None

Cats are ugly and they have no soul. I freely admit to being biased. Also, many (not all) cat drivers are closet power-boaters. Try a buddy run from Little Harbour to Simpson Bay and watch the look on the cat driver's face when you're taking off the sail covers. "You're going to sail there?!?!?"
Caribbeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:13   #58
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Funny you should say that. We just spent 5 weeks in the BVIs and didn't have to motor anywhere, including 3 or 4 trips from little harbour to Simpson bay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431180808.114204.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	101663
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:02   #59

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwallace View Post

It's not about the boat.
Very well said. Thank you. I'll stop the cat bashing now until I can sneak something in when no one's reading.

These discussions remind me of myself with a Garden Ketch and my friend with a Piver 35 and my other friend with a Cross 38 back in the early 80s. We were always verbally bashing each other's boats and it was pretty much non-stop for the time we knew each other. We were still fast friends for many many years after each of them stopped sailing.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:23   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

Some still carry a wind-up pocket watch while others have an Apple Watch!!
I have a wind up watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0324.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	101677  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote