Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 15:47   #181

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamoron View Post
Wow!..somebody that thinks that you can get seasick at anchor on a catamaran must not have ever lived on a catamaran at anchor. Have never heard of that ever happening. But I have heard of long time monohull owners...salty sailors, getting seasick because of the rolly anchorage and had to pick up the hook and find another spot. A cat at anchorage has no more movement than a moving car - even after a squall moved through yesterday, where we had white-capping waves in the anchorage - where boats were snapping their anchor chains, our boat was hardly moving. And the argument that rocking back and forth makes you feel more like you're at sea? That's the most extreme case of trying to find something positive out of something terrible that I've ever heard - have never, ever heard a monohull owner say they enjoy the rocking back and forth at anchor because it makes them feel more at sea! Believe me, you'll get all the feeling of the sea while you're pounding through 10 foot seas with a 25 knot wind. When I'm at anchor and enjoying dinner, the last thing I want to do is catch my drink from sliding off the table.
Well, if that diatribe was aimed at me... I did not say anything about motion at anchor. Actually, I agree that cats in particular lie more quietly at anchor than most monohulls. But for those of us who actually put on a lot of miles sailing, the motion at sea is of interest, and some actual, real persons find the quicker motion of a catamaran to induce seasickness, where the slower motion of a monohull does not.

This may not agree with your personal experience, but it is a real phenomenon.

Jim
Old 27-07-2015, 15:53   #182

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Bavaria started that CAM/CAD robot trend, I believe. I think Beneteau group uses this to a great extent also - particularly in mold making.

Mark

The automation is not in the fiberglass layup, it's in the cutting of interior panels and materials used to stiffen hulls. Could also be applied to tooling fabrication.

Okay, technically you may call foul on some of that if you allow for injection or infusion molding vs. open mold contact layup in building of hulls and decks, liners and components.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 15:56   #183

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, if that diatribe was aimed at me... I did not say anything about motion at anchor. Actually, I agree that cats in particular lie more quietly at anchor than most monohulls. But for those of us who actually put on a lot of miles sailing, the motion at sea is of interest, and some actual, real persons find the quicker motion of a catamaran to induce seasickness, where the slower motion of a monohull does not.

Jim

Agreed. I was quietly shocked at the nervous, jittery movement of a 35' cat on a light wind sail on the Chesapeake.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 16:03   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Wow!..somebody that thinks that you can get seasick at anchor on a catamaran must not have ever lived on a catamaran at anchor. Have never heard of that ever happening. But I have heard of long time monohull owners...salty sailors, getting seasick because of the rolly anchorage and had to pick up the hook and find another spot. A cat at anchorage has no more movement than a moving car - even after a squall moved through yesterday, where we had white-capping waves in the anchorage - where boats were snapping their anchor chains, our boat was hardly moving. And the argument that rocking back and forth makes you feel more like you're at sea? That's the most extreme case of trying to find something positive out of something terrible that I've ever heard - have never, ever heard a monohull owner say they enjoy the rocking back and forth at anchor because it makes them feel more at sea! Believe me, you'll get all the feeling of the sea while you're pounding through 10 foot seas with a 25 knot wind. When I'm at anchor and enjoying dinner, the last thing I want to do is catch my drink from sliding off the table.
LOL as a CAt lover and also a Medic, your going to not like the fact that some people do get sick on a Cat at anchor.

My comments regarding Monos are always in fun because I like both designs, but the reality is that whilst Cats do give a much more smooth ride, some people puke for their homeland. GENERALLY Cats are easier on the system, but not totally sickproof for some.

Always best to be fair in these things.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 16:30   #185

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Have no memory being seasick while anchored on a monohull.

Old 27-07-2015, 18:09   #186
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you buy something like a Bendy or average multihull then you're gonna be miserable both underway and at anchor. The Bendy will throw you up into the air every time it bends over a swell and the cat is like slamming a car into a tree 7 times per minute, then building up some speed just to slam it again. You would do good with 5-point seatbelts. At anchor the Bendy will sail from left to right until the anchor jerks it so hard that it tacks and sail the other way again. Multi's at anchor will jerk sideways violently even on the wake of a passing dinghy. Some like to beach it to get comfortable.

A proper yacht can be mono or multi but tends to not be built by robots and cost a little more. They do provide maximum comfort though when you take 47-50' as minimum length.

Here's us at anchor in 55 kt wind. Straight as an arrow, no movement at all.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:38   #187

Let's hope a 60+ ft Sundeer has a better motion than a 32 foot Beneteau, otherwise you have spent your money poorly

Anchoring with a cat actually has some serious disadvantages as well as advantages, notably the profile in a blow. Cats produce much more windage when facing wind and seas. In strong winds you'll need to power against the wind much more than in a mono to get a vertical rode.

Sailing out of an anchorage in any kind of wind is very difficult in a Cat. Although I get the impression sailing is a fairly low priority for most big cruising cat owners.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 20:17   #188

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I was shocked to find this to be the case for me the first time I went sailing in a cruising cat (Atlantic 57). Got quite queasy in a way I never really have in 35 years of sailing. If someone gave me an A57 I am sure I'd find a way to acclimate though. Maybe a slower heavier cat would be better....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 20:23   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I was shocked to find this to be the case for me the first time I went sailing in a cruising cat (Atlantic 57). Got quite queasy in a way I never really have in 35 years of sailing. If someone gave me an A57 I am sure I'd find a way to acclimate though. Maybe a slower heavier cat would be better....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Well if you are looking for a slower heavier Cat you won't have to look very hard these days.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 21:07   #190

Boat: In Between Boats

The space is very tempting on a multihull. The problem is that you just don't get the thrill of sailing on one.

Seriously looked at a Gemini. The reaching speed and draft were really tempting.

The lack of sailing feel plus the salon sent me to a Catalina 36 MKII.

In three years I have run it all over Florida and the Keys. Very happy owner.

Now I just need to get retired!
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 00:06   #191

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if people even understand their argument before they post a comment. If somebody gets car sick from the movement, they probably shouldn't be looking at buying any kind of boat. But for the average person that drives a car, living on a cat is about the same movement - but living on a monohull has made even the saltiest sailors sea sick because they can violently rock back and forth at what we on cats consider a comfortable anchorage. And as we sit here at anchorage, I see about half cats and half monos...so I guess mono hull owners sip sundowners at anchorage too, its just they spill theirs just holding onto it...where as I set mine on the table.
You are making a claim that is false.
I'm just pointing a circumstance that is not uncommon and would disprove your false claim
Quote:
Wow!..somebody that thinks that you can get seasick at anchor on a catamaran must not have ever lived on a catamaran at anchor.

The people who can get sea sick at anchor obviously have a very unsalty stomach. I wouldn't be surprised if some have also been car sick as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-07-2015, 00:20   #192

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

Sorry to interrupt guys, just a public service announcement.

For those who like me who, out of poor judgement or otherwise, made the mistake of commenting on this thread at sometime in the past, this is the button you've desperately been looking for. It's at the top of the page.

pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote