Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2018, 14:33   #1

Catamaran mast float

Does anyone know of a salvage float type device that will auto inflate when a catamaran capsizes. Attached somewhere along the top half of the mast it could stop the cat after a 90 degree capsize and prevent a complete 180 degree capsize? I would like to hear ideas both pro and or con. Thank you .
warrenthames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 14:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Catamaran mast float

It can be done of course, adds weight and windage right where you don’t want it, but I think actual capsizes are exceeding rare are they not? Probably 1,000 lightning strikes for every capsize, just to try to state how rare they are?

Then it would just I assume put a boat on its side and not completely right it, wouldn’t that be worse?
Plus I’m not a Cat owner or sailor, but I’m under the impression that to even get into Capsize territory so to speak, your really pushing the equipment harder than you should, and I mean foolishly hard?
Cruising, not racing boats.
However I do concede that if they are required or have escape hatches, somebody thinks a capsize is likely enough to plan for.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 17:50   #3

Re: Catamaran mast float

Thank you for your comment and observation. I am hoping to get a discussion going on this topic.
Old 20-09-2018, 18:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy.

The following comments are offered in a friendly tone of voice and with some humor too.

Since you wanted to start a discussion, I assume your question or interest is sincere.

Mast Floats have been used on smaller catamarans (beach cats) and on dinghy sailboats for years. They may be added to a boat for beginner sailors who are unskilled or worried about capsize, and may be seen in some sailing schools where beginners are likely to capsize frequently when first learning to sail dinghies.

You can buy some “ready made” products (see Crewsaver masthead float shown below) or you could DIY (see blue water jug below...added for humor).

The concept for large cruising cats has been discussed here on CF in the past, and generally dismissed as impractical for a large cruising catamaran.

Doubts are usually raised about the practicality of such a float, the windage it would create if permanently mounted high on a mast, and the size needed to overcome or counter-act the capsize inversion.

Most remarks I have seen say it is simply unneeded by most cruising catamarans because most never capsize. In other words, it is a product concept in search of a market with little perception of need (by most catamaran owners).

Doubtlessly, someone will think there is a market for a new product, etc.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FA73835-5D6A-4F70-BCC6-D9E34E2915FE.jpeg
Views:	541
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	177721   Click image for larger version

Name:	34530624-2041-44AA-8D78-13AE35B13D48.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	177722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1848A79E-4D0B-4BA9-909E-6402DE44943E.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	177723  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 18:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenthames View Post
Does anyone know of a salvage float type device that will auto inflate when a catamaran capsizes. Attached somewhere along the top half of the mast it could stop the cat after a 90 degree capsize and prevent a complete 180 degree capsize? I would like to hear ideas both pro and or con. Thank you .
For a real catamaran (vice a Hobie Cat)? In most cases when a cat flips it's a pitchpole when the bow digs in during a high seas event. I can't imagine the mast stay's attached and intact in many of those instances? You'd also need to periodically inspect the system just like a liferaft or any other packed inflatable system. Add that to the weight and windage aloft and the vanishingly small chance of its use, even if masts always remained intact it doesn't seem like a terribly good idea.
14murs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 20:02   #6

Thank you Steadman and 14murs14. While the blue water jug is certainly attractive, I think the auto inflate concept may be more practical.
Old 21-09-2018, 02:10   #7
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Some older cats (Iroquois) had mast head floats but it didn't take off for the reasons already stated.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 04:43   #8

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenthames View Post
Thank you Steadman and 14murs14. While the blue water jug is certainly attractive, I think the auto inflate concept may be more practical.

If you’re in a sea state that capsizes a cruising catamaran, the mast supporting the hulls sideways is likely to break with the end result still being an upside down cat.

I do not believe there is anything practical with this concept for boats beyond the size of a beach cat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 05:58   #9

Thanks Sailmonkey!
Old 21-09-2018, 06:27   #10

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Donald Crowhurst tried to set up a similar system. Not a bad concept. I also lile the idea of bouyant masts for monohulls.
Old 21-09-2018, 07:56   #11

Thanks snowpetrel.

Tags
catamaran, loa, mast