Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 12:23   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Catalina 30 (the real story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
No, that would be the criteria for answering a question about going on board and sailing one.

If someone is asking about owning one, I think I'd stick to prior owners.
Not to continue an argument but to make a point, if I know specifically certain things about a particular production boat I'll chime in even if I hadn't owned one. If only owners are allowed there wouldn't be much of a discussion and whatever discussion would be slanted because owners would be defending their choice. Some folks choose not to be owners of a particular boat for specific reasons. It'd be good to hear from those folks.
Old 08-05-2013, 13:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Not to continue an argument but to make a point, if I know specifically certain things about a particular production boat I'll chime in even if I hadn't owned one. If only owners are allowed there wouldn't be much of a discussion and whatever discussion would be slanted because owners would be defending their choice. Some folks choose not to be owners of a particular boat for specific reasons. It'd be good to hear from those folks.
I don't have a problem with that.

My point was that it's better to get feedback from people who have a basis for their opinion, other than their general opinion based on their own conventional wisdom regarding boats they don't own or sail.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:35   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

They are so much better than nothing. They'll be perfect until you're ready to cross oceans. Maybe you never want to cross an ocean. Most people don't.
Old 08-05-2013, 15:14   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
They are so much better than nothing. They'll be perfect until you're ready to cross oceans. Maybe you never want to cross an ocean. Most people don't.
I'm thinking a Catalina 30 would do a fine job crossing the ocean. As has been said on this site many times, it's mainly the Skipper that makes the difference.

Steven Callahan did a fine job crossing the Atlantic in his Avon 6 man life raft!

Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea: Steven Callahan: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

See the earlier posts, Catalina 30's have crossed plenty of oceans.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20   #20

Boat: Watkins 27

My second sailboat and first liveaboard was a C-30, mid '80's model MkI. I lived aboard it for two years and cruised the Channel Islands from Ventura Harbor nearly every weekend. She was a sweet boat and I learned a great deal about living aboard, sailing, cruising and anchoring from her.

With modifications, I'd not hesitate to take her on the Coconut Milk Run.
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 08:49   #21

Boat: Islander 36

Catalina Smile is usually caused by improper blocking on the keel when on the hard this also happens to the C27. I have owned and sailed both I like both did lots of costal sailing in Southern CA and North Baja. as for the chain plates it is for the lower shrouds and is easy to fix and not very costly by getting the upgrade kit from Catalina Direct (Catalina's own part house).

A dream has never been fulfilled by listening to a nay sayer!
ibsurfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 11:30   #22

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibsurfun View Post
Catalina Smile is usually caused by improper blocking on the keel when on the hard this also happens to the C27.
Where did you get that?

The Catalina Smile is from the wood stub that the keel bolts go through rotting and allowing the sag. Catalina even put out an official repair procedure (see attached).

Fair winds,

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keel_stub_wood_procedure_from_catalina.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	65611  
Old 16-08-2013, 12:34   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

I grew up sailing (and still do sail) on a 1983 Catalina 30 MK1 (for the last 23 years). Overall she has been a phenomenal boat. Unfortunately we haven't been too kind to her over the years (so she's not as pretty as she used to be) but she just keeps on ticking. The boat is very forgiving if you are new to sailing and is big enough to be comfortable with a larger gathering of friends on board.

I would have to say that most of the problems we have, have been operator error. For example we have the Catalina smile, but due to the rocky area we sail in we have grounded her hard more than once over the years so we are partially responsible for that (and the marker that wasn't set properly but that's another story).

The rudder had been ripped off when the previous owners wife was at the helm while he was in the head and she went on the wrong side of a mark. So now the rudder post is a little loose (still need to fix that).

We've been knocked down and flooded the cockpit due to too much sail in too high of winds. And most amazingly the former owner was motoring along and had the mast put in the water due to a passing water spout. (luckily the hatches were boarded up).

So yes I think they are wonderful boats. especially if you want to learn to sail or just want to get into the game cheap. As another poster put it we probably wouldn't have been able to get into sailing had it not been for the price and availability of these great boats.

And before anyone comments on all the horrible things we've done to her and how we should have been watching out... well accidents happen and a fair number of them have been due to marks that have shifted over the winter. the others well at least im being honest and that nobody is perfect
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina