Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 17:06   #1

Catalina 22 to Bimini

I recently came across a 1976 Catalina 22. It's a fixer upper, but so far, it has seemed to be a pretty good little boat.Now, the goal is that by the first week of June, my three friends and I will set sail from around Tampa, Florida to Bimini and then Nassau.
I know 22 feet is a little short, but we are definitely going to wait for a nice easy weather window. We also have a 7.7 hp kicker for emergencies - but we want to try to do it just sails. We are going to be sailing down and around the bottom of the state, so I feel we will be practiced and ready for the crossing.
I've been doing some reading, and everyone says to leave from Miami, but that's pretty far north for us. Would it be better to shoot up from around Key Largo, maybe a little further north, then just let the current carry us a little bit more so taking the wind from the south will let us go a little faster.
I just wanted to reach out to a more experienced community and see what opinions there are on the feasibility of this journey.
jacobswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 18:31   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Catalina 22 to Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobswe View Post
SNIP

I've been doing some reading, and everyone says to leave from Miami, but that's pretty far north for us. Would it be better to shoot up from around Key Largo, maybe a little further north, then just let the current carry us a little bit more so taking the wind from the south will let us go a little faster.
I just wanted to reach out to a more experienced community and see what opinions there are on the feasibility of this journey.
Guys have sailed sailboards and Hobie Cats to Bimini and someone did it on a paddle board. On the other hand I would choose a larger boat. Some folks say the slower your boat the better off you are leaving South of Miami to take advantage of the Gulf Stream. Rodriguze Key off Key Largo is a popular jumping off point. It has a reasonable anchorage and is fairly close to stores while waiting for the right weather window.

There are multiple threads about where to jump off from South Florida to Bimini. Might want to search some of them.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 18:37   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Look out for afternoon thunderstorms on the coast of Florida on your way back.
Where are all four of you going to sleep when it rains?
Old 23-02-2016, 18:52   #4

There is enough room inside to easily sleep 3, which is all we need if someone is on tiller duty.

That's what I was thinking about. I just need to make sure that there will be a long enough stretch of decent but calm winds since its a longer crossing.
jacobswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jacobswe.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:29   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Get some good rain gear, a floppy hat, sunscreen and possibly a Bimini. After a day or so you really start to feel the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-02-2016, 05:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Get some good rain gear, a floppy hat, sunscreen and possibly a Bimini. After a day or so you really start to feel the sun.
Good advice that Bimini for Bimini thing...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:04   #8

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Did you buy the 22' boat yet? I can not really tell as you say 'I came across a 22' Catalina'. With 4 people that is kinda small. You guys will be getting in each other's way.

If you did not but that boat yet a 25' - 27' boat would work better for 4 people. If everyone is chipping in get a bigger boat.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:16   #9

Summer , yes . Take fuel as calms are common . Farther south is much better . The distance over the bottom is not much greater . Plot out a course on paper and draw in the slow speed of the boat and the speed of the gulf stream and it is very easy to see the advantage of far south .The fifty mile crossing from Miami will chart out at 85 or so miles .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:39   #10

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Going over is one thing but coming back is an entirely different proposition. Just sayin'.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:55   #11

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Catalina 22 to Bimini

4 is two too many for that boat. You won't be friends when it's over.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:42   #12

Boat: Hunter 33.5

You must have a good VHF and a handheld, a gps with the Bahamas chip and an epirb or a personal locator/epirb.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh1849 View Post
You must have a good VHF and a handheld, a gps with the Bahamas chip and an epirb or a personal locator/epirb.
I sailed a San Juan 23 from south Florida across to the Bahamas and back, back in the early 80s. Of all the "must have" things you list I only had a VHF. Not saying it's a bad idea to have all these things, but they are not things that you "must have."

That said, I would not want to spend that much time with four people on board a Catalina 22. This is a SMALL boat! I think Blue Crab is right. At the very least, before this is over I expect the OP will find the friendships to be severely strained. I would not do this trip--not with four people.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:28   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Get a second C22 and go as buddy boats.

Old 24-02-2016, 09:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I sailed a San Juan 23 from south Florida across to the Bahamas and back, back in the early 80s. Of all the "must have" things you list I only had a VHF. Not saying it's a bad idea to have all these things, but they are not things that you "must have."

That said, I would not want to spend that much time with four people on board a Catalina 22. This is a SMALL boat! I think Blue Crab is right. At the very least, before this is over I expect the OP will find the friendships to be severely strained. I would not do this trip--not with four people.
+1 to all the above but there would be one other possible outcome on the crowding.

The four might come back and never speak again or they might be the closest of friends. Higher likelihood of the former but you can never tell.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, catalina