Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 06:30   #46

Boat: magna 43
Re: Catalina 22 to Bimini

You have the right idea on departure. Cross over south of Cape of Florida and let the stream push you north. Steer a straight 90 and correct on the other side. GPS is a little off on the entrance to Bimini. The north -south reef is hard to see so be sure to go SOUTH of the entrance before you go in There are two cuts in the reef and they are poorly marked. when you do turn north you will only be 50yards from shore. If the tide is going your 7 horses will be working hard. You may want to leave at night so you can see the reef at noon. Bimini at dawn is beautiful.
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:32   #47

Boat: magna 43

Bimini bread is great go the shop early before they sell out it does not keep well but that was never a problem You can walk the town fairly easily but a golf cart is nice. Customs and immigration is easy ( they never smile) Bleach, Tide, Beer, are precious. Whiskey is cheap. Spare parts don't exist
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:51   #48

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know this may have initially sounded flippant, but I think it has a lot of merit
Buddy boats would be great fun. Instead of purchasing a bigger boat sticking with the smaller swing keel 22s allows you to beach and even camp out on said beach without the hassle of a dink. 2 boats can carry twice as much beer.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:06   #49

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Crazy thought, but . . . if you found one free boat, you might find another. I know, it's double the maintenance costs, but it would really expand your living space, and make for a fun sail -- cruising in company, racing each other, visiting each other's boats at anchor, switching up crew arrangements, keeping an eye on each other during crossings, etc.
If you are 4 boys, there is a slim possibility that one of you might meet a female and need a place for some privacy. Maybe put a sock on a winch handle to let everyone else know the boat is "in use".

Also, don't forget to bring a "sock" for your "winch handle". Based on your posts so far, I'm thinking one should be enough.

I really like the idea of 2 swing keel boats...take them right up on the beach. I've seen this at Main Duck Island, and always been a little envious.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:20   #50

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Here's your buddy boat:

Catalina 22 Sailboat with Good Trailer Ready to Tow Away | eBay

You can sell both boats when you are done, and get all your money back.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 14:34   #51

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

What happened to the four friends? Let us know if you ever did the trip. What became of the Catalina?
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 15:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc42 View Post
What happened to the four friends? Let us know if you ever did the trip. What became of the Catalina?
Yeah! ?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, catalina