Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2007, 11:07   #1

Boat: still looking
Question CATALINA

Has anyone out there ever cruised in a Catalina 38' to 42' and did a circumnavigated?

OR made a trip with ARC across th Atlantic in
Catalina or other production Boat?
deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2007, 19:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I day sailed a 42. It was an early 1980's boat. It was shot. Still good for day sailing but it's better days were behind her and in a storm that boat would be a fright. At this point I would say it's not the brand but the mileage. In great physical condition under favorable weather it would be easy. It's when each becomes a little bit less that the situation changes quickly. These boats were never designed for ocean crossings so forcing the issue is more than the designer ever expected. Most of these boats were never intended for that purpose because most of the owners never wanted to do it. It's not so much that neither could but that neither intended on doing it.

The Atlantic has been crossed in a 9 ft boat but I wouldn't do it myself. Just because something has been done is not always the reason you could do it too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2007, 21:40   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
What age Catalina are you talking about? and how well is it equipped? Do the shrouds have extra strengthing? If older boat does the cabin top have any compression...etc etc etc

..you can see from my brand of boat I may be prejudiced but Paul's comments are spot on. Catalina's are great intercoastal and inland water boats, I see lots of them, but those that have spent more bluewater time would need to advise how many Catalinas you actually see crossing..

Also, you may wish to watch the sailnet Catalina forums for this size boat and ask owners
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 05:09   #4

Owner's group websites

Here's some links to Catalina owner's group websites:

38's
Catalina 38 National Association

380/387/390
Catalina 380 International Association Opening Page

400's
Catalina 38 National Association

42's
Catalina 42 International Association

Notice a trend there in the links?

There are more owners group links on Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts

You also had mentioned "production boats" in the initial post, which I take to mean BeneHunaLinas in general. There were a whole bunch of Beneteaus in this year's ARC, several Catalinas in this year's Caribbean 1500 also. I think the advice so far in general has been right on, age and condition of boat is always critical when looking at production boats. These are not boats that were generally considered to be Water boats">blue water boats though lots of production boats have circumnavigated.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 05:43   #5

Boat: Caliber 33 BRISA
Catalina

Everything is relative. Patrick Childress circumnavigated in a Catalina 27. There is a writer for one of the sailing magazines that cruises on a Catalina 38 all over the world. He bought the boat for $3,000.00. It had been sunk.

The point is that it can be done. One needs to understand the limitations of these "coastal cruisers", and then decide whether it is worth it to upgrade the boat or buy a boat that is more suited to long range cruising.
cabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 06:00   #6

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Anything can be done, I've owned a c30, would I feel comfortable circumnavigating in a catalina? most likely not, as mentioned it would have to be really well outfitted. Of course there are a lot of people that buy a "bluewater" boat and never venture more then a few miles from shore, the catalina would have saved them some money (initially, but that's another story).
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 14:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo View Post
Everything is relative. Patrick Childress circumnavigated in a Catalina 27. There is a writer for one of the sailing magazines that cruises on a Catalina 38 all over the world. He bought the boat for $3,000.00. It had been sunk.
Are you referring to Cap'n Fatty Goodlander? His boat Wildcard is a Hughes Columbia 38, not a Catalina. But perhaps there's another writer I'm not aware of who bought a sunken sailboat for $3K.

I'm reading John Vigor's Seaworthy Offshore Sailboats. He spends a chapter on Childress' boat Juggernaut and the modifications made to it. I was surprised to find that he did not reinforce the basic hull other than putting bulkheads in the open areas beneath the berths and adding chainplates. I read that to mean he had no qualms about the quality of the FRP work on the boat.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina