Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 00:45   #1

Caribbean Safety and Security Net

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com...-event-piracy/

[multiple piracy events]
https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com...nuary-26-2017/

We are planning to Caribbean next January. My heart sinks after reading this incident. I know we can't do much if we are attacked on board. What else can we do to avoid this attack? ie avoid sailing to the piracy areas, stick with other boats sailing together. Where are the safer places to go in Caribbean?

Is it the only website to get warnings/alerts/updates of the security in Caribbean?

Sailing to Caribbean is one of my goals. It seems like that it not really safe going there after reading these attack incidents on CSSN.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 03:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Caribbean Safety and Security Net

The Caribbean covers a vast area and many countries.. one could say many of the continental countries are much more dangerous than the islands.. all one can do is keep up to date via this site, noonsite.com and other forums such as CF whose members cruise/live in these areas full time or return annually.
Everywhere has no go areas.. either 24hrs or after dark.. there are such places in London, Paris and New York.. get street savvy/country savvy and then take trips within your 'risk zone'.
Or fly for your visits.. even then there's no sure things as British holiday makers on a policed beach found out in Tunisia..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 03:42   #3

Re: Caribbean Safety and Security Net

Can't go thru life frightened all the time. Like anywhere there are some places or areas that are best avoided but that still leaves you with 95% of the Caribbean that is relatively safe to sail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 05:16   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
We are planning to Caribbean next January. My heart sinks after reading this incident. I know we can't do much if we are attacked on board. What else can we do to avoid this attack? .

What?

How is your geography?

These attacks were in Honduras. Have you any concept of how far Central America is from the Caribbean cruising grounds?

Its 1,200 nms from the Caribbean Islands. Thats more than Cuba to New York City! 1,100 miles. Miami to NYC is 950 miles, 250 shorter. Does someone in New York get scared because of an attack in Miami?

Honduras is boardering the Caribbean Sea but is Central America not The Caribbean.

So where do you intend cruising? Name the actual countries, islands etc. Then ask re security.

Finally.... the Caribbean Safety & Security net could be called Paranoia.Com I shouldn't be hard on them because they work hard on their site, and their information is relevant... it just seems every report is just writ a tad over the top.

When you do work out where you're going look at the CSSN site for that area. I just clicked in Leward Islands: St Martin, St Barts, Antigua, Etc, there's so nothing going on that unlocked dinghy thefts are the most anyone has reported for ages. (And you'd be amazed the number of idiots leave their dinghy unlocked and go drinking at night).

Now, if, on the converse, you are going to cruise Mexico and Central America that's a different matter. Its an area I haven't been but lots of folks on this forum have and they can tell you about it.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 13:05   #5

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Fly down to Grenada, charter a boat and do the Grenadines. I've been sailing there since 2001 and have had no problems.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 13:29   #6

Central America is just fine and plenty safe but there are areas to avoid. We are in the Bay Islands in Honduras and it's probably as safe as our home in Canada. That said we know people that were recently boarded and robbed off the coast of Honduras which was only 30 miles from where we are but it's pretty well known down here that you should stay away from Coastal Honduras. Guatemala is also a very cool place to spend time as is Belize but there are areas to avoid, no different than certain areas in the USA. In our experience the Western Caribbean is a much more rewarding place to visit as the culture here is really a nice experience. Cheers, R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 17:26   #7
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What?

How is your geography?

These attacks were in Honduras. Have you any concept of how far Central America is from the Caribbean cruising grounds?

Its 1,200 nms from the Caribbean Islands. Thats more than Cuba to New York City! 1,100 miles. Miami to NYC is 950 miles, 250 shorter. Does someone in New York get scared because of an attack in Miami?

Honduras is boardering the Caribbean Sea but is Central America not The Caribbean.

So where do you intend cruising? Name the actual countries, islands etc. Then ask re security.

Finally.... the Caribbean Safety & Security net could be called Paranoia.Com I shouldn't be hard on them because they work hard on their site, and their information is relevant... it just seems every report is just writ a tad over the top.

When you do work out where you're going look at the CSSN site for that area. I just clicked in Leward Islands: St Martin, St Barts, Antigua, Etc, there's so nothing going on that unlocked dinghy thefts are the most anyone has reported for ages. (And you'd be amazed the number of idiots leave their dinghy unlocked and go drinking at night).

Now, if, on the converse, you are going to cruise Mexico and Central America that's a different matter. Its an area I haven't been but lots of folks on this forum have and they can tell you about it.

Mark

Do you really need to be such an a$$hole?
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 19:38   #8

Boat: T33, Nexus dory
"Far Tortuga" by Masterson

The unhabited islands of the Western Caribbean have long harbored an
occasional fish camp crewed by what might be called rough characters. For a fictional look into this life check out "Far Tortuga" by Peter Masterson. Anything off or near the Mosquito Coast can be hard country. It's a poor land.

Back in the days of wire halyards there was a family who were reputed to lure unsuspecting boaters to their doom by appearing to be ship wrecked on the approaches to Belize City. Even now days there are reports of supposedly lost childern setting up victims on the North shore of Oahu. Your chances of being a victim of such crime is slight but it pays to know the territory wherever you wander. Happy voyaging!
Tom-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 20:57   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
I'm sorry but I thought he was making a valid point. The OP wants to cruise in the EC but is a little put off by pirate reports quite a ways off.

Mark then detailed a way to plan your route then go look for appropriate reports.

JMHO, I know, but it is the way I saw it.
Old 22-02-2017, 22:29   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
In our experience the Western Caribbean is a much more rewarding place to visit as the culture here is really a nice experience. Cheers, R
This is the second post you have made about the culture being great in Central America/Western Med. Both times I've kind of gone "What? Really?". It would be nice to have you start a thread describing the culture in more detail because I just can't see these areas having much. Myan and Inca ruins, yes but not unique, Columbia I'm sure is nice but hard to see it full of culture. I don't know though because we have never traveled to these areas.

Maybe I'm used to the Med, where I feel there is a historical culture and intellectual thinkers both past and present all around.
Old 23-02-2017, 04:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
This is the second post you have made about the culture being great in Central America/Western Med. Both times I've kind of gone "What? Really?". It would be nice to have you start a thread describing the culture in more detail because I just can't see these areas having much. Myan and Inca ruins, yes but not unique, Columbia I'm sure is nice but hard to see it full of culture. I don't know though because we have never traveled to these areas.

Maybe I'm used to the Med, where I feel there is a historical culture and intellectual thinkers both past and present all around.
I have been to the Med, visited many Med countries and it certainly has a fun and interesting culture. Can't say I personally met any one who was more of an intellectual thinker than any where else I have been. But then again I never met Plato and Aristotle but I did explore a lot of history covering Christianity and Neo-Platonism which is what makes the Med countries interesting to me. However, please don't think that there is a lack of culture everywhere else in the world. Even the United States which is often knocked for not having a culture has a unique and interesting culture. As for Columbia there is a TON of vibrant and interesting culture, I suggest a visit to explore how they express their history through their food. Columbia specifically is one country I personally wouldn't call out for lack of "historical culture", but then again I am not sure how you define "historic".

As for the OP, there is a risk everywhere you go. You as a visitor need to be aware of your surroundings. There is a lot that you can do while standing watch to help scare potential intruders away, like actually being visible and active on the boat at night. Have a spot light ready and shine it on anyone close enough. Many "pirates" from this area want easy targets. They typically are not interested in a physical encounter but that is just from the research that I have read. Even in areas that are more well know for pirates like off the horn of Africa (Somalia) those pirate don't really want a physical encounter. Though they are better equipped and likely not going to be afraid of a person standing watch it is rare that they will seriously harm you. I spent 5 months floating of the coast of Somalia tracking these people with the Navy.

One place I would not go is the south china sea and I would be very alert off the islands near Indonesia.
kmartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
If that's what it takes to educate people.. maybe.. bet you'll remember that post..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-02-2017, 05:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

Its very Spanish influenced.. lots of forts, villa's etc and a variation of the language.. mind folks rave about the strangest things.. like the Panama Canal/Corinth Canal.. its just another waterway FFS..

Old 23-02-2017, 05:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its very Spanish influenced.. lots of forts, villa's etc and a variation of the language.. mind folks rave about the strangest things.. like the Panama Canal/Corinth Canal.. its just another waterway FFS..
I wouldn't say I would rave about the Panama Canal but I guess as an engineer I would probably get a little geeked out seeing it all function and watching the process. The history of how it was built and why is interesting. It's not on my bucket list but I can see why someone would find it interesting. I guess if we keep posting about this on this thread it will go way off topic of the OP.

When I sailed from the USVI to Florida, with several stops along the way I never felt a need to worry about criminals. The only danger I felt was all the cruise liners and commercial shipping liners, had to keep an eye on them but that wasn't even a big deal.

Boatman, in all your time have you ever come close to being boarded or approached by possible criminals while at sea? If so what is/was your protocol?
kmartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:37   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartind View Post

Boatman, in all your time have you ever come close to being boarded or approached by possible criminals while at sea? If so what is/was your protocol?
Been approached by open boats in the Pacific, Atlantic and Med.. only felt nervous once and that was 30nm S of Malaga, E Spain.. a black speed boat came roaring up from the direction of N Africa and circled me a couple of times then closed.. by this time I got two pencil flares rigged for firing.. but all they wanted were directions to Malaga..
I pointed.. they left..
The other time were fishermen offering fresh fish for beer, cigarettes and in one case tinned meat.. don't eat fish but tossed across some beers, fags or corned beef anyway.. figure they deserved some luxury out there hundreds of miles from land waiting for the mother ship to return.
Panama an anchored boat got its skipper badly beaten up by guys who swam out to the boat.. we arrived the next day.
Occasional drunks arriving at the wrong boat in the early hours.. common..
Only dinghy incident.. some ******* cruiser stole one of my oars.. useless for anything other than another inflatable.
Never been robbed or assaulted when cruising/delivering.. apart from commercially..

Tags
Caribbean, rib, safety, security