Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 13:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Caribbean Lay-up

Hi All,
Can anyone recommend a safe secure marina/yard suitable for hauling out and laying up a 44' catamaran in the Carabbean Islands.
We plan to cross the Atlantic end of this year so period would start late December.

Cheers Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 14:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Carabbean lay-up.

Difficult.. there's a few here that reckon the Caribbean aint 'Safe.. or Secure..'
I'd suggest the marina in St Martin past Gran Case.. can't remember the name off hand but its pretty outa the way for opportunists..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 14:23   #3

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: Carabbean lay-up.

The folks from Windtraveler just layed up at Nanny Cay Marina on Tortola because of its' facilities and rep for hurricane protection.
Old 09-01-2014, 14:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just remembered... its Port Lonvilliers in Anse Bay... this is what it looks like coming down Bell Hill... the actual marina is behind the building with the yellow roof and the trees to the right.. maybe a bit more built up around there by now.. but maybe not...
French side is not so commercial..
Just found a recent aerial view..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St Martin 003.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	73628  

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-01-2014, 15:14   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Boatman, Anse Marcel doesnt have a boat yard. It is a good hurrican hole but no bookings are taken till may and then its a scrum for the charter boat operators who will pay the most for a six month contract.

I would recommend Grenada, Spice Island Marine, good haulout, good social life, colocated with Budget Marine, close to town, on a bus route, and hot university girls....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 15:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahhh well.. was but a thought.. made a friend who kept his boat there year round back in 2000.. spoke highly of it..

Old 09-01-2014, 15:47   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

He would do. Its a bloody Raddisson Resort. I had to pay $10 to put my feet on the Welcome mat and then anther to some bloke by the door in a fancy uniform.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 16:04   #8

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Grenada Marine in - yes you guessed it - Grenada. MarkJ's suggestion of Spice Island is probably just as good but I don't have personal experience of them.

Basically... Grenada!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 16:53   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

We haul 15 to 20 boats a year in Puerto Del Ray in Puerto Rico, access to an international airport. Hurricane tie downs lots of contractors and service people. Wouldn't rule out Nanny Cay on Tortola either.
Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 17:32   #10

Boat: Lagoon440 - Ripples II

Helia 44 ? with 24'3" beam ? Would suggest to double-check the yard's max beam they can haul out.
I'm also looking for place to haul-out, but a Lagoon440 with 25'3" beam. Spice Island (Grenada) can only do 25' - you may just fit. Grenada Marine could handle the 440.
Was looking at Grenada since it used to be "outside the box" and assuming less likely to get hit by hurricane than some of the other islands - but the "box" is shifting, so probably not true anymore.
Don't know Nanny Cay, but on their web site : Catamarans and large vessels with a beam > 22 .5 feet @1.15/sq foot/month - that's sounds a bit high for a 44' x 24' cat ?
I hope I got that wrong.
Does anyone have experience with St.Marteen Shipyard ? They can haul-out to 45' beam.
Claude.
2Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:06   #11

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

St,Marteen shipyard can handle that beam, and more, they use 2 ways, a heavy crane and sea lift with air bunk suport, but,, you are far way from town and close to the airport, nothing else around, they charge extra if you do your own work or if you live onboard , the place is clean and with lots of people working around, FG, welders , etc..

Polypat in the french side also can handle wide beams , by crane, good people around not so clean like st marteen shipyard , security is a joke.

Time out boatyard in front of polypat, lift by crane to, not sure the max beam, the crane is very old, check insurance, more dirty than polypat but new showers and toilets in the boatyard, excelent people around, do it yourself , no extra fee, or let others do the job, security is a double joke.

JMC is the 3 one, forget the idea, is kinda a prison, very dusty, and security here is a real problem.

Geminga boatyard can take a catana 47 , a l440, and i see a swicht 51 in the air to, nice people around , one of the best Fglass profesionals in the whole caribbean , welder, woodwork, volvo dealer, rigging shop, etc.. very dirty and security is not ideal.

Boby`s marina in the ducht side, the new one can take any beam, expensive, clean, security, and close to town with island water world and budget marine close by. Best record in hurricanes.

Hope you get a idea of st marteen, good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 23:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Thanks so much guys, this has been a wonderful response, its not easy when you are on the other side of the world (Sydney, Australia ) and you are making plans for the end of the year for a boat sitting out the northern winter in Marmaris, Turkey, and we have yet to visit the Carabbean.

Thanks!
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:19   #13

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Caribbean Lay-up.

If you want to stay out of the hurricane belt I would suggest Curacao since it is "sort of" on the way as you come out of the canal heading east. Curacao Marine (check their web site) is an excellent yard with a very fancy hydraulic lift that is great for cats. Was there last year for hurricane season and was well pleased.
Also have had my boat pulled at Grenada Marine (25 ft. Beam) and was pleased with the work but a bit of a ride back to civilization because it is out in the jungle. Just remember Grenada can still get the occasional hurricane.
Further north is an IGY Marina in Rodney Bay on St. Lucia which is also very nice. It has an excellent service staff and is well equipped to do just about anything.
From personal experience I do not think you would go wrong with any of the above suggestions. However being out of the hurricane belt was an important factor for me so again I would place Curacao Marine at the top of the list.
Good Luck
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 18:58   #14

Boat: Lagoon 37 Makaru
Re: Caribbean Lay-up.

Peake Yachts in Trinidad. No hurricanes and 1st rate services.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:57   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Boatman, Anse Marcel doesnt have a boat yard. It is a good hurrican hole but no bookings are taken till may and then its a scrum for the charter boat operators who will pay the most for a six month contract.

I would recommend Grenada, Spice Island Marine, good haulout, good social life, colocated with Budget Marine, close to town, on a bus route, and hot university girls....
Amazing how people forget. This is Spice Island Marine and gives an indication of how safe it is:

Grenada marine at St Davids Harbour is a much better choice if they can haul the beam of your cat, but I would opt for Peake's in Trinidad!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, caribbean