Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 04:08   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Carabbean lay-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This is Spice Island Marine and gives an indication of how safe it is:

but I would opt for Peake's in Trinidad!
That photo is after Hurricane Ivan. Spice Island now uses steel cable tie downs.

Grenada Marine in St Davids is miles away, isolated.

Peaks has electrical problems in their yard where someone was eletrocuted last year but they refuse to change their system to a safe one as required in every other modern country in the world.
Also 6 months ago 12 people were murdered in ONE weekend! Twelve murders recorded over Trinidad long weekend - Caribbean360

There were 19 murders in the first eight days of 2014. Happy New year!
Trinidad promises to curb crime rate following 19 murders in seven days - Caribbean360

And this week theres talk of another curfew due to escalating murders

Is that really where you want to be?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:12   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Caribbean Lay-up.

Don't get me started on what Spice Island and Budget Marine and that French rigger there did to cruisers after the hurricane… but it was nothing that steel cables will prevent next time.

Grenada marine is at the south-east point of the island which is a bit isolated from the west coast, but arguably on the more beautiful side of the island. There is also a resort right there so it is not like you're on an expedition to get there.
It has much better protection against weather and the damage to boats after the hurricanes was minimal compared to Prickly Bay. Good yard work can be had there.

I agree that Trini has changed too but not as much as you make it sound. We had the same electric system that is in use today and there were murders and kidnappings all over the island.. but Chagueramas was safer.

If that is not good enough than there is only one way to go and that is further west. I agree with other posters that Curacao is then the best bet. If Curacao Marine can't haul you then the other yard in Piscadera Bay (formerly known as Opus marine, don't know the current name) will be able to.

Other choices are Colon, Panama; Cartagena Colombia; Rio Dulce, Guatemala; and since a week or so, Almirante, Panama.
Almirante is closer to late hurricanes but never touched yet.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:02   #18

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Caribbean Lay-up.

I heard that history to about the french rigger and spice island boatyard but anyway with steel cradles or not, anything close in strenght to ivan dont stand up, the main isue for me in Grenada is Parts, order parts outside and the pain in the ass to get it there in time without paying a fortune in fees and tax, no idea the actual situation but in the past to get a simple perkins injector i need to get a broker and sign a document!!

Chaguaramas is safe if you follow some precautions, and if you focus in your boat work and stay close to the town in daylight you will be ok, the anchorage is a nightmare, rain a lot, painting and doing cosmetic jobs take time, the trick used by locals is to made a phone call to port of spain and ask if there is clouds or is raining.
You can make almost any kind of job in Trini, there is workshops everywhere, and at better price than in grenada....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 17:54   #19

Boat: 2005 Hylas 54
Re: Caribbean Lay-up

On the hard in PowerBoats or Peaks Marinas in Trinidad. Good prices, good security and their are literally hundreds of other boats shrink wrapped on the hard waiting out hurricane season.
Tday01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, caribbean