Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 12:29   #1

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45
Caribbean Hurricane Haul Out

Our boat (Leopard 45) is delayed again, but should be here and outfitted just before the end of the year. We want to shake her down in the Bahamas so that we can have warranty work done before we head out for more adventures. Our only other goal is to be in Saint Lucia for the World ARC in January 2020, though we haven’t signed up for it just yet.

So here’s the thing... Hurricane season 2018 will be over by the time we leave Ft. Lauderdale for the Bahamas. Our insurance broker says that the market changes daily in the Caribbean and my personal interpretation of our conversation is “pick where you want to go and cross your fingers”. On top of that she says that being in the Caribbean most insurers want your hurricane plan to be a haul out and possibly unstepping of the mast. Obviously this is not something to plan at the last minute, so I am starting now.

My current thought is leaving the Bahamas by May 2019 and just going down the Leeward and Windward Islands with a contract for a haul out somewhere far down south like Trinidad, then high-tailing it down there if a circulating patch shows on the west coast of Africa. The other option is to go more westerly via Cuba, Jamaica and the ABC’s over to Trinidad.

Do you have any suggestions for:
1. Preferred route
2. Marinas for haul out on your preferred route, or
3. Other ideas I haven’t thought of?

I don’t wish at this time to consider other brokers and am more interested in the “best” plan for this trip than the cheapest. Alternate hurricane plans (with specific details if possible) are also welcome to the extent that I may be able to file and use them later. I am also willing to break up the journey into multiple legs if there are good, safe places in the middle islands that I wouldn’t have to run so far in case of a false alarm. If you have any pricing, contract terms or caveats for marinas those are also welcomed. Thank you.
Old 23-07-2018, 15:42   #2

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Re: Caribbean Hurricane Haul Out

Hi Sawbonz

Perhaps I misread, but what are your plans? Do you really want to haul? Nowadays, that’ll likely also mean unstepping the mast. Why not stay on the boat? If you are far enough south, you could stay in the ABCs, or any of the other more southerly islands.

Leaving the Bahamas in May is pretty late. We did exactly that this year, and are currently in Curaçao. We had no choice due to other circumstances, but earlier would have given more time for weather windows. Less frequent options for easting later in the season, so more time needed.

Heading EAST against the trades from Cuba, etc: Why? Unless you prefer beating. It’s doable, just not as much fun. [emoji854]
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 15:49   #3

Thanks for that, BigNut. I don’t WANT to haul, but the broker tells me that that is becoming the norm of expectations in the Caribbean to avoid large deductibles (50 to even 100% that she has heard of, tough not experienced). So it becomes part of the plan unless I can find something better that they will accept.

The only reason to try to go against the trades is to avoid the worst of the hurricane paths and I wouldn’t mind going to the ABC’s anyway. Your thoughts are great though and I will consider.

We are pretty early in planning this I think, but it is too complicated and our experience too limited to wait until the last minute. I wish they would just say “this plan we will approve” without my trying to guess. C’est la vie.
Old 23-07-2018, 16:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Grenada Marine has a 70 ton lift modified to take wide cats. I didn’t see any boats there with masts down.

I found them pretty communicative. I got a quick quote, no BS.

Just an idea.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 16:49   #5

not sure quite understand the hauling the mast?
do they require the boat tied to the ground?

just trying to understand..
we plan on travel the islands in the near future..not in a catamaran..

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 16:51   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Man, your post is kind of confusing on what your looking for. So I don't think I can help you with much but will add this,
We are hauled out in Freeport, Bahamas. It was reasonable per month - $750 and I have coverage from Jackline. We didn't have to remove our mast but did have 6 heavy duty tiedowns installed that go into the limestone. I haven't heard of anyone getting in water coverage in the zone lately and doubt it's available. Hurricane forecasts are pretty predictable up to 3 days out and the distance from Antigua to Grenada is only 300nm so figure two days.

It's tough to get a boat yard to haul you when a hurricane is actually approaching. I'd guess you would need to be really, really connected.
Old 23-07-2018, 17:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Grenada Marine has a 70 ton lift modified to take wide cats. I didn’t see any boats there with masts down.

I found them pretty communicative. I got a quick quote, no BS.

Just an idea.
Thank you, they are now on my list. Any thoughts on a route to get there?
Old 23-07-2018, 17:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny64 View Post
not sure quite understand the hauling the mast?
do they require the boat tied to the ground?

just trying to understand..
we plan on travel the islands in the near future..not in a catamaran..

-dkenny64
I'm looking for a hurricane storm plan because we will be living on the boat. No need for some place to leave the boat for the whole season. The broker said they will likely want a haul out and tie down (I assume) and the mast unstepped. Does that help any?
Old 23-07-2018, 17:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Man, your post is kind of confusing on what your looking for. So I don't think I can help you with much but will add this,
We are hauled out in Freeport, Bahamas. It was reasonable per month - $750 and I have coverage from Jackline. We didn't have to remove our mast but did have 6 heavy duty tiedowns installed that go into the limestone. I haven't heard of anyone getting in water coverage in the zone lately and doubt it's available. Hurricane forecasts are pretty predictable up to 3 days out and the distance from Antigua to Grenada is only 300nm so figure two days.

It's tough to get a boat yard to haul you when a hurricane is actually approaching. I'd guess you would need to be really, really connected.
I understand that they contact for just such a service and verification and details of that are some about which I seek information.
Old 23-07-2018, 18:45   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

You need to find an Insurer that works for you.
Several companies have good coverage, don't require haul out if your out of the "box. Our box allows us to be in ABCs, or carricou south , or north of st Mary's Ga, between july1 and Nov 1. In ABCs there's one haul out and they are booked u til they dont know when so you'd need to make an appt this year for next. Plus they use a trailer that picks up your cat by the bridge deck and I am not a fan of that. You may also want to look at weather and wind patterns, beating head on from the ABCs all the way to Grenada would be zero fun at all. I also disagree that it's an easy sail from Antigua to Grenada if a hurricanes threatens,, odds are it could be heading towards you, the wind's will be on the nose, as will significant current, tons of saragasso weed and big waves. Everyone told us how easy easting was once you got to the eastern Caribbean, we had a rude awakening once here.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 18:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
Thanks for that, BigNut. I don’t WANT to haul, but the broker tells me that that is becoming the norm of expectations in the Caribbean to avoid large deductibles

Our insurance has no demand to haul out IF we watch the weather and move. However our deductible doubles for a named storm. If we haul, our mast has to come down, or else it doubles again! See below.

As we live aboard, the option to get out of Dodge seems better, especially as we are in ABC’s for the duration of the season.

Here’s the wording in our policy:

NAMED TROPICAL STORM PLAN REQUIREMENTS:

• Hauled and secured on low jack stands and blocked with the vessel lashed directly to the ground using a minimum of six (6) straps of appropriate size, material, and strength attached at load bearing securing points on board the vessel; and

• The vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism; and

• All loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, and covers must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss.

• As an alternative to securing the vessel as indicated in requirements above, the insured vessel may be moved in order to avoid the effects of the NTS and prevent damage or loss, provided the vessel is moved within a time, manner, and direction reasonably calculated to avoid the NTS based on the projected timing and path of the NTS and provided the projected path of the NTS is monitored by the insured at all times.

A separate Named Tropical Storm Deductible of USD **** applies. The NTS deductible stated will be doubled the mast is NOT un-stepped and secured.

HTH
Old 23-07-2018, 18:54   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
I understand that they contact for just such a service and verification and details of that are some about which I seek information.
Absolutely. But the times I've seen it is when you are under long term contract in the water at their marina. Are you looking for a contract where you pull in and they then haul you on a day or two notice? Maybe but I would think that you will have to pay a long time in advance to have that privilege.
Old 23-07-2018, 19:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny64 View Post
not sure quite understand the hauling the mast? do they require the boat tied to the ground?

See the details a little higher up. Irma and Maria have caused significant changes to new policies, we were told. Add that to the changes in weather patterns expected, and there you go.

Not sure exactly where the mast hauling comes from, but apparently it’s becoming standard? We are new to this game, so YMMV.
Old 23-07-2018, 20:10   #14

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
My current thought is leaving the Bahamas by May 2019 and just going down the Leeward and Windward Islands with a contract for a haul out somewhere far down south like Trinidad, then high-tailing it down there if a circulating patch shows on the west coast of Africa.
Sounds like a poor plan, sitting in the Caribbean summer heat, watchin the Weather Channel and waiting to cast off and run south. Thinking back over the last few hurricane seasons, you could be leaving every other week! I would think the best plan would be to spend your summers in Chesapeake, Cape Cod or Maine (or all three) and enjoy your new vessel.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 20:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We are hauled for the season at Power Boat in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. They are nice folks, safe yard, good tradesmen available. The yard has tie downs but you will not need them. Masts are not taken down. 150 years of named storm tracks says highly unlikely. This is our second season in the yard. Street food outside the yard is good and very inexpensive. OCC port captain, Jessie James is in the yard and runs a really great tour business. I bike to the rain forest every morning to see the birds and monkeys. Peaks is the yard next door also with good facilities. Several chandleries and supply shops nearby. We have great community with other boaters in the yards. Both places can handle your cat. If you want to stay in the water, Trinidad and Tobago are both out of the zone for cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BE06972-8693-4AEC-849A-C572CFEA2988.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	174229  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, haul out, hurricane, rib