Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 20:03   #1

Boat: Pearson 367
Caribbean Cruising

So this is my first post. I have dreams of crossing oceans but no plans of a circumnavigation. I have read a lot about the capes. lol. It seems most people say "I want a boat and I'll start in the Caribbean and then we will see." Most people go back to land after one or two years. There is nothing wrong with that. My question is, if you start in the Caribbean for a couple years, how likely are you to become a blue water sailor?
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 04:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Caribbean Cruising

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 06:38   #3

Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster

We are in the long haul want to go everywhere camp. But are doing just as you said- planning to start in the Caribbean and go from there. I'm certain how likely someone would become a blue water sailor from sailing around the Caribbean for a few years greatly depends on that individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lilbabypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 07:59   #4

Welcome to CF LLCoolDave!

Quote:
how likely are you to become a blue water sailor?
So how does a blue water sailor look like? What has one to achieve to be recognized as one? And if you look for the "true Blue water boat' thread here on CF: Can someone become a blue water sailor without a blue water boat?

No pun intended. I think there is no real definition of a blue water sailor ..

Kind regards

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 07:01   #5

How likely? That depends entirely on you.

If you are wondering if starting out in the Caribbean is going to make you more, or less, likely to go on to sail across oceans... I think the answer is, most probably, that it doesn't matter. Those with a strong enough desire to cross oceans are going to do it, and those without the desire are not.

So, this is a question that only you can answer, and then only for yourself.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 07:34   #6

In my experience voyager type sailors don't tend to hang around a few years thinking about crossing oceans, they tend to just do it. As to where they start from I don't think it makes any difference.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:14   #7

Boat: Bayfield B36
Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecutter36

Blue water under the keel, green water over the deck, and white spray off the bow, pick a colour and call it yours. Too sail across an ocean or just island hop the water is the same and the pleasure you get from it is up too you.
Stonecutter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:33   #8

Round the worldy things unless you are chasing a record SHOULD take a long time... lots to see aside from ocean blue.

Caribbean island hoping is a mini taste of the more adventuresome round the globe thingy. It depends also on how much you want to "get into" the local culture or just tick the port off on your world map...

I spent several years living aboard and cruising the Carribean and there was still lots to see. I know this is about to sound like blasphemy.... but I did miss "culture" like theater and museums and so on and there was an element of "boredom" which I never would have imagined.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 22:10   #9

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter36 View Post
Blue water under the keel, green water over the deck, and white spray off the bow, pick a colour and call it yours. To sail across an ocean or just island hop the water is the same and the pleasure you get from it is up to you.
I rather enjoyed this. I didn't mean to imply that some types of sailing are superior to others.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 16:52   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Since the thread seems to be drawing a lot of "quippy" type of responses I would say..."where ever you find yourself...there you are." smile

The other thing that I have a nice picture of with quotation in my house is.
"That the world is covered by 70 percent water obviously means man was meant to sail."

Practically speaking now...and logical thinking...you will know after cruising the carib for a couple of seasons if you want to do the coconut run or not. Time will teach you if it is for you. I just was talking with a guy who owns a lovely trimaran in Florida about why he had not taken his large tri over to other countries. He said that for him and his wife that the Carib is just about one of the best cruising grounds on this planet. He said he sails the San Juans and it is his stomping ground. He said he has done the Mexico thing plenty of times. But he said nothing beats the Caribbean for him and his woman. Different strokes for different folks. It is as simple as that.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib