Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 07:22   #31

Boat: Cal 2-30
Re: Captains License

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I had a 6 pack license that has since expired. It was pretty darn expensive, on the order of $700 if memory serves. Everytime you turn around there was another charge, e.g, medical, drug testing, the cost of the course, the charge for the exam, etc. What really annoyed me was when the exam was administered it was almost impossible to fail it. I studied hard and had no difficulty but others in the class would fail sections and were simply sent back to correct and re-submit the exams until they had a passing grade.

I took the class as sort of a maritime merit badge. I had no intention of actually using it to take paying passengers. When the time came for renewal, I thought about going for the master's but the cost would have been about the same and feds came out with silly TWIC idea. I had better uses for the money and let the license expire.

Rich
Note - I did similar thing. Then shortly after expired filed Document of Continuity to allow easier renewal (just a short course and test) process. My exam experience was completely different - serious and professional.
I would not want to take this course without an instructor although maybe online would be ok if there was some one on one time.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 08:15   #32

I want to thank you all for the great info,, I am not boating yet,, Mostly research,, This next year if all goes well.

Great reading here. Thanks again Terry
Harter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 08:17   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's pretty inconsistent that it requires a license to operate a two ton aircraft with one guest onboard and that it does not require any license to operate a vessel that displaces 200 tons with 100 guests onboard.

In order to be consistent, should we eliminate the licensing requirement for general aviation and driving a car or should we license boaters?

Are boats inherently safer than cars or airplanes? Is this why there seems to be no need to license boaters? I would think that anyone who has been around boats for any length of time would say no, boats are not inherently safer.

How hard would it be to create and administer a test to see that all boaters have at least a basic grasp of the COLREG's, basic seamanship and safety?

Tests don't prevent aircraft from falling out of the sky or prevent auto accidents from occuring. They do though reduce accidents and deaths by creating at least a minimum level of knowledge to operate an aircraft or vehicle.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:10   #34

In fact, Florida DOES require anyone operating a boat, and born after 1988, to have a boating safety education card. There are a variety of ways to get such a card, but all include the requirement for a basic understanding of the rules of the road.

On the other hand, when I see constant and flagrant violations of the rules of the road from a huge percentage of recreational boaters around here, I have to assume that the requirement is rarely, if ever, enforced.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:59   #35

Boat: Beneteau 285
If you want to get your Capt lic, if for nothing else, because you want one, then do it. I got my lic 10 years ago just for personal satisfaction. I would recommend a school. I used world wide marine training in NC. You will learn alot, refresh your memory on things you already know and gain even more confidence than you had before. You will also get a discount on your insurance. Yes you have to get a TWIC card, not hard just "another" $149.00. Then later on, if you decide you want to pick up work to support your sailing habit, then you can! If its something you want to do then go for it. Your area will be restricted by your experience but as you gain more experience then you can change your rating. You got to start somewhere and the basic lic is the OUPV. Everything else goes off of that. Hey if nothing else you can set around your local mud-puddle yacht club and be a "real" sailboat Capt!
Sailnguy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:10   #36

Thank you all for such good info. I love this forum group great people!
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 11:55   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
it does not require any license to operate a vessel that displaces 200 tons with 100 guests onboard.
But that DOES require a USCG license.

Regardless, I agree with your post.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 11:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Same for me. As soon as I finished my 100 ton class the first thing I thought was "man I wish everyone had to do that."

The biggest opponents of mandatory testing, even silly online-only testing consisting of an easy batch of ten questions, is the boating industry. Any obstacle to the purchasing of a boat is dismissed as heavy handed government trying to break our pioneer spirit.

The boat industry wants you to buy new boats, refit old ones, and pay for your slip fees. They have little desire for raising the bar in anyway towards the operation of acquisition of a vessel.
Yup, it's a good thing the laws are there to protect the boating industry, not us.
Old 18-12-2013, 11:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
But that DOES require a USCG license.

Regardless, I agree with your post.
It does not require a USCG license unless you are charging them money.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 12:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
OK, your right. But whoever has a 200ton boat and is taking 100 friends out for fun.... I wanna be THAT guy.
Old 18-12-2013, 12:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
OK, your right. But whoever has a 200ton boat and is taking 100 friends out for fun.... I wanna be THAT guy.
I would settle for a 20ton boat and 10 friends

I live on an Island served by car ferries. The ferries carry 28 cars at a time. Since they are free, in theory the captains do not need a license under federal law. Of course they are professional captains that make well into the 6 figure I imagine.

A more realistic example is the ferry from the parking lot to the boardwalk in Kemah. This is a free shuttle. It is a pontoon boat that carries maybe 20 people. They hire high-school kids to drive it since they are cheap and no USCG license is required.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 17:22   #42

Actually, the more I think about it, I think your example might require a license. Your mention of kids operating launches illustrates it. THE CG has a special limited license just for that purpose - kids operating launches. People aren't paying for the launches, but there is still a license for it? I'm guessing there is more color to the distinction between recreational operation and "commercial" which requires a license.

If I get motivated I'll dig through the CFRs and see what I can find. Or I'll just sit here and watch some more TV.....
Old 20-12-2013, 11:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post

The USCG might not enforce it, but at that level the insurance company will. They're not going to underwrite a $10mil boat with some clown at the wheel.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, license