Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Capt K, a little bird told me....

Hi K, hey I have heard through the grapevine (I have 10,000 hectares of them ight out my backdoor )that you may be the proud owner of a new boat. So come on, tell us. We're all dying to know

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 19:37   #2
Kai Nui

I know, but I ain't talking
Old 07-03-2006, 21:49   #3

Alan.

Your grapevine beared good fruit!!

Yeah I mentioned on the "JOKES" thread that I was driving out to pay Kai and his wife a visit. And during that visit, I met this man and made a deal!!

This past Saturday evening. I negotiated a great deal on a 1973 Catalina 27. The boats name is Panga.

I'll try and post photos on her soon!!

She needs a little work done on her. But, for her age. Adn the price is the deal of the decade!!

She comes with almost all the electronics. Working plumbing.

She needs new rigging lines (ropes). I have to remount the lifeline stanchions. Install toilet in the head. Connect the plumbing hoses from the toilet to the head.

Buy a new facet for my sink. The original knob for turning the water on and off. Has been broken off!! I'll have to completely replace that one.

It has a water bladder tank. For holding water. It has no outboard at the moment. But, Kai's working on that one for me!!

It has a multimeter. It does Knots, depth. And I forgotten what the third application does? It comes with a VHF radio. 2 alcohol burner stoves. A propane stove. Refridgerator (for inport purposes only.) It comes with a chill box, for sailing cruises.

There's just too much to list it all here. But this person has tons of stuff that goes with this boat. And that also inlcudes lumber. For rebuilding cabinet drawers and such!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 22:07   #4
Kai Nui

K, forgot to mention. I have some boat parts for you too. A new faucet, and some hard water tanks if you want them. Probably a few other things if I look around.
So watcha gonna do about a coffee pot?
Old 07-03-2006, 22:22   #5

Yeah the water tank and facet would be much appriciated Kai.

Hmmmm. I 'll have to get back with ya on coffee makers. I haven't looked that far ahead yet?

But let me know what do you think about this one?

http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detai...8417&group=593

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-03-2006, 22:29   #6
Kai Nui

I have seen those before, but never used one.
Priorities! Beer cooler, coffee maker, tunes. The rest will come
Old 07-03-2006, 22:33   #7

I hear ya there!!

Old 07-03-2006, 22:34   #8

I could get a Senseo coffee maker. My lil' brother bought one last year.

It can make good strong coffee!!

By the way Kai. What make and model is your wonderful coffee maker? I love that strong coffee of yours!!

Old 08-03-2006, 00:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Kevin:
Super-Congratulations, on your new baby!!!!!!
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 00:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
We call those a Coffee Plunger over here. We use one on the boat. They are great. You need a corse coffee grind. Just place your required amount of coffee grind into the plunger, pour in the boiling water and then place the plunger down ontop of the grinds that will now be floating on top. Just push the floating grinds slightly under the water. Don't plunge yet. Wait for a few minuites for the coffee to brew. Then I swirl the pot around and plunge the strainer down. If you don't swirl it around, the amount of pressure you have to apply to the plunger can force grinds up past the stainer.
The resulting coffee can be strong and not finly filtered like a filter perc machine. But it is quick and easy and does not take up space and you can use the gas to heat the water.

Hey it is great to hear about the boat and I look forward to pictures. I am glad there is a bit of worK to be done, I get the feeling you are the sort of guy that has some energy to burn off. Plus if you are like me, I love making things for the boat. It is a kinda therapy.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:50   #11

Thanks Alan & Gord.

Yeah, this boat is in fabulous shape for her age. Aside of the few installtion jobs needed. She really needs a good clean up inside.

The previous owner left stuff (junk) all over the place. But he said that he would clean out the stuff.

Just needs a good wipe down. The chillbox needs a very good clean out. It has spiderwebs and spiders living in there. Nothing what a bug bomb could'nt do!!

Then connect everything up. The lifeline stanchions just needs to be reinstalled. Plus the mast needs to be demasted. So that I can removed the worn out sheeves in the mast head. And replace it with (two) brand new ones. Which is included in the deal too!!

This boats' grand total in US dollars, that the owner wants is $3,500. That includes all the hardware that he has for it. Including a trailer for the boat. And some junk (project) boat of almost the same length. He simply just wants out of sailing. And get on to his other part of life being a "family guy?" He's 35 years old!! I'm 38 years old!!

But unfortunately, that project boat is a lost cause. It would take me a very long time to get her back to "prime condition. That boat has been striped of all hardware. The owner was helping out a lady who wanted to rebuild her. And just left it in his hands, and never came back.

Maybe I could gave her away to someone on the west coast for "free!!" Or just have the owner go junk the thing. I would have my hands full as it is anyway!!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:32   #12

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Congrats

I purchased a 75 Catalina 27 last summer. It has needed some tender loving care and some upgrading which I have been doing through the winter. I had the opening in the transom filled in and added a power bracket to raise and lower the new Merc 9.9. I just added shore power and am working on adding new golf cart batteries for my "ships" power.

One of the "negatives" of the Catalina is the little walking room on the sides as you go forward on the top deck. At Catalina Direct, they sell stachions that have a 5 or 10% outward lean; I haven't installed these (I'm thinking 5%) - you only need two new ones on each side - but I think I will as I don't like the old set up; you might want to consider this before you install stachions and new lines.

Good luck with your new boat.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:43   #13

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Coffee plunger?

Is that anything like a toilet plunger?

We call that style of coffee-maker a "French Press". So they probably call them "Freedom Presses" in the US

A couple years ago, I bought a stainless steel, thermos one that makes about four cups and keeps it hot for a couple of hours. It's absolutely bulletproof, and no grounds make it into the coffee. Bought it at Starbucks, but I don't think they carry them anymore. After destroying glass and plexiglass versions, I say SS only for boat use - I'm sure if you look around you can find one.

Congrats K - fair winds.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55   #14

Thanks to rsn48 & Lodesman

Yes, I am really proud of this sailboat. Kai Nui has helped me out with getting this boat. And cause he knew the man who was trying to get rid of the boat.

Yeah, rsn48. I thought I had heard about those stachions. I just might look into that. I agree with you on there not being enough walking space alongside the cabin on deck.

Lodesman. Oh boy. Do I love Starbucks coffee. (Sssshhh) I had to ban myself from Starbucks. You see... I have a tremendous caffine addiction.

Back in 2000. Just about everyday, at the corner of 16th Street and Camelback Rd, here in Phoenix, Arizona. That Starbucks was my hangout. And me and my friends. Including several collage babes. Yup. I'm talking about 18 to 21 year old sirens, that could make the plastic, surrounding the compass on your boat to melt.

Man, I kinda miss that!!

Yeah, I'll look around for the perfect coffee maker. Made out of stainless steel, if it's made of any metals? Or completely made out of tough plastics? Metal is better!!

Thanks everybody!!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:56   #15

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
CaptrinK Congrats!!!

Catalina 27's are real classic boats and as I mentioned in another post, the desig is often refered as amazingly seaworthy for what it is in terms of production boat, small.

Don't just get that plunger yet.... This one is thermally insulated -- which really helps when it blows... I swear by it -- this is what I have on my boat.

http://www.topoftheline.com/french-p...offee-mug.html

One interesting thing about the so called "plunger" is that elsewhere (NZ, Australia, etc) it is called "French Press" and in France it is called "American Press". So it is interesting in America the chosen name is the same as a toilet instrument. My guess is the people who came up with the name probably are in the paper business (coffee filters). "Plunger" in the name will subliminally make sure the type of coffee never picks up in popularity.

Fair winds!!

Eugene
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote