Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 06:03   #1

Boat: X-Yachts, X-512, 51.2
Cape Cod, Boston and Caribeean

Hi Guys!

First of all, I woudl like to thank all of you for the suggestions and information about our journey from Caribbean to Annapolis.

Now, we are here, waiting the end of hurricane season and we are thinking about sail up another little bit.

Plan is: C&D channel, Cape May and up until Boston.

Main question is: in this period, until the end of October, when we will sail down to Caribe, is it affordable? We really do not know about temperature and sea/weather average condition...We only saw some whale pictures from Cape Cod on google earth.....

Secondary question: At the end of october, we plan to sail back to Caribe, is a good idea to start from this area or it is better to sail down along the coast until Chesapeake and then go East up 65°W and, after, turn down as "normal"?

Thanks!
stevenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Cape Cod, Boston and Caribeean

I have sailed with several Boston area sailors. They all highly praise the Maine coast for cruising, and preferred it over the Cape Cod area. If I were you, I would push on up to Maine, if possible.

Water temps may be 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit, in Maine, or about 10 degrees warmer in Boston. Expect some fog. Cool air over water.

Here is a chart that shows average water temperatures for that coast.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:37   #3

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Post school vacation (i.e. after labor day) is one of the best times to see New England highlights like block island, Martha's vineyard, cuttyhunk, Provincetown, etc. The water is about the warmest it will be all year in the first couple of weeks of September, the crowds are gone, and the anchorages (block island, tarpaulin cove, lake tashmoo, ptown) and cheaper moorings (oak bluffs) are easy to come by. While Maine is beautiful, it's also good to hit the hot spots in shoulder season and you could do it somewhat leisurely. I use to rent a boat out of Westport for a week during this time specifically to hit those spots. When you get to Boston, the harbor islands have some great anchorages and Boston Harbor Sailing Club will rent you a ball right off Rowe's wharf. I think many would advise you that October may be too solidly in hurricane season to start an offshore trip to the Caribbean, but I'll let the offshore experts chime in there. If postponing the southbound leg, maybe extend into Maine. Enjoy the trip, I'm jealous.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 12:20   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We sail New England in the summer and Caribbean in the winter. Generally we head from New England to Bermuda in October and then to the Caribbean in November.

We've cruised both Maine and southern New England extensively. It is all lovely, but depends on what you're looking for. As far as affordable -- what do you expect to buy? Fuel is generally cheaper than the Caribbean, water is usually free, and anchorages past Labor day are rarely crowded. The only thing consistently more expensive than the Caribbean is the rum.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 14:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
We sail New England in the summer and Caribbean in the winter. Generally we head from New England to Bermuda in October and then to the Caribbean in November.

We've cruised both Maine and southern New England extensively. It is all lovely, but depends on what you're looking for. As far as affordable -- what do you expect to buy? Fuel is generally cheaper than the Caribbean, water is usually free, and anchorages past Labor day are rarely crowded. The only thing consistently more expensive than the Caribbean is the rum.
We like to sail and, mainly, stop and see... not really in expensive marina, but anchor in primis.

I'm looking info about weather , sea and "temperature"... just an average because, of cousre, every sea can be rough enough
Old 31-08-2017, 15:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenit View Post
We like to sail and, mainly, stop and see... not really in expensive marina, but anchor in primis.

I'm looking info about weather , sea and "temperature"... just an average because, of cousre, every sea can be rough enough
For better or worse, we don't sail in average seas on any given day -- we sail in the seas we have (or stay put). Errant tropical storms aside, September generally offers great cruising weather throughout New England, although the evenings can get nippy. October brings even cooler weather -- and a greater likelihood of days where one decides to stay put because of the weather. I've still seen other cruisers south of Cape Cod after mid-October, but north of the Cape that is the end of the season for most. By November all but the hardiest cruisers have gone elsewhere or put their boats up for the winter. Also in November the frequency of gales in the North Atlantic goes up and the first few hundred miles of the passage south become trickier. You can have a window of good weather, or a bad week.
Old 31-08-2017, 16:05   #7

Yes, the plan, if we will start from Boston, is to break the course at Bermuda. But We know the weather is gettin worse going into winter time... we do not have idea, never sailed up to these latitudes in US
Old 01-09-2017, 06:49   #8

Quote:
Yes, the plan, if we will start from Boston, is to break the course at Bermuda. But We know the weather is gettin worse going into winter time... we do not have idea, never sailed up to these latitudes in US
I suggest not starting from Boston, but instead starting from south of Cape Cod -- somewhere between Block Island and Martha's Vineyard (Newport is a fine departure point) -- that way you cut a half-day from the passage thereby making it easier to avoid nasty weather.

I've had the best passages on this route on the heels of a low. Watch the hurricane models to make sure nothing is threatening and, if possible, go when a low passes and the wind comes from the northwest. It is unusual for it to blow from the east there at that time of year, but avoid strong easterlies as they can kick up the gulf stream. If there's a nor'easter blowing, stay put.

The first 24-36 hours can be cool, but after you hit the gulf stream the air temp tends to warm up (less so if the wind is still out of the NW). People make this trip all the time in early November, but some have famously come to tragedy. I try to get out in October.

There's plenty of food and fuel in Bermuda, but it is much more expensive than in New England. Load up before you leave.

The gulf stream meanders all over in that area. I've tried to catch the southerly eddies shown on the web, but rarely succeeded and sometimes ended facing an oncoming current of up to 2kts. If you find yourself fighting the current, you may find moving just 20 miles east or west will help.

If you've never sailed into Bermuda before, try to make landfall during daylight. The lighted navigational aids are often "extinguished" and after passing through St. Georges cut you have a backdrop of lights all around you.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:10   #9

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

In the autumn it is generally much safer to go south along the coast to VA/NC and then head south and skip Bermuda altogether.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I suggest not starting from Boston, but instead starting from south of Cape Cod -- somewhere between Block Island and Martha's Vineyard (Newport is a fine departure point) -- that way you cut a half-day from the passage thereby making it easier to avoid nasty weather.
Thanks for that kind of very useful info!
Only ono thing I did not understand: Why the 50/60NM distance difference from start from Boston area or start from south of Cape Cod are so important? Is the Cape area ..nervous?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:53   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Hi Steven,

I think you've gotten good answer so far but will add my comments.

I was in Maine two weeks ago and sea temps were around 10-12 C. I'm on Martha's Vineyard now and sea temps are 22-24 at the beach but can be much colder in open water or if you are diving.

Weather for heading south from New England is always a balance between the end of hurricane season and the beginning of winter storm season (called nor'easters up here). Sometimes the two seasons overlap and you can have hurricanes as late as Nov-Dec and you can sometimes have nor'easters start as early as Sept. Winds this week have been very strong with very high seas off shore.

So, generally the best time to leave New England to head south to the Caribbean is October BUT you really need to check weather before going offshore. My opinion the best route is to stay along the coast until North Carolina then head south. This has several benefits.

1. It keeps you close to land and good places to anchor in case of bad weather.

2. You are farther south so risk of nor'easters is much lower.

3. NC is a good jump off point for the Caribbean. First, you are farther south so closer to the Caribbean but also you do not lose too much easting so you won't have to beat against the trades.

4. You can make Bermuda a stop over for weather, supplies or repairs.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:56   #12

Quote:
Thanks for that kind of very useful info!
Only ono thing I did not understand: Why the 50/60NM distance difference from start from Boston area or start from south of Cape Cod are so important? Is the Cape area ..nervous?
No. Cape Cod Bay is usually quite calm, and Buzzards Bay is generally calmer than the offshore waters. It can blow good from the southwest and build up a chop up Buzzards Bay, but it is nothing like offshore conditions.
Sailing from Boston you have to time the canal currents, and assume a coastal sailing protocol for lookouts, watch, etc. By the time you get from Boston to Cutty Hunk you'll probably be ready to tuck-in for the night.

If the whole 700 miles were offshore, I would say there's not much difference between 640 and 700. But 60nm of coastal sailing + 640nm offshore feels different. I find that offshore the crew and I settle into a pattern, a routine - I'm sure we're not the only ones this happens to. For us, that settling in wouldn't start until we left Buzzards Bay.

The trip to Bermuda is not long -- it takes us usually 3.5 days and will probably take you about the same as your waterline is about the same. Although weather forecasts are improving, they are imperfect. The longer the passage, the less dependable the forecast is over that time. Also, if you try to get out on the heels of a low, the favorable winds may only last a couple of days -- better to use those conditions putting miles behind you at sea as opposed to transiting coastally in protected waters.

Tags
cape cod, rib