Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 22:58   #361

Re: Can't Wrap my Mind Around this "Bluewater" Thing!

Interesting, well its been a good discussion. No matter how they are built most all of them seem to reach the other side and there certainly is a better selection to choose from. We are in Sardinia right now working our way west and this certainly is the land of expensive yachts.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 13:44   #362

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Interesting, well its been a good discussion. No matter how they are built most all of them seem to reach the other side and there certainly is a better selection to choose from. We are in Sardinia right now working our way west and this certainly is the land of expensive yachts.
Yes in Italy having a sailing yacht is fashionable so rich guys have sailing yachts were on other countries rich guys have motorboats. They have lot's of motorboats too but the proportion to sailing yachts is not so overwhelming as in some other countries. Off course, most of them have the boats on marinas and sail from marina to marina (to have a nice dinner) so prices are very high.

Finally I am on the water too. Today I sailed from Rome (Fumicino) to Ponza Island and tomorrow I will make it to cape Palinuro (125Nm) (one side or another depending on the wind). We will rest there a day and I will make it to Vulcano or Lipari,on the way to Greece. Next days the weather will not be very nice. Lots of grains and instability.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 04:48   #363

Interesting we passed through Volcana Island, kinda cool there. Yes the weather is goofy right now, lots of thunderstorms around here in Arbatax. Busy tearing my windless apart as it failed us last night so we moved into a marina, rare for us as we prefer anchoring. Anyways got it all fixed up and working so we are going to take the Little Green Train for a mountain tour tomorrow and then continue north and west. Enjoy yourself, we almost crossed paths.
Old 15-06-2014, 05:12   #364
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Personally if I could afford it I d buy a rustler or a discovery.

dave
I have a scar on my forehead due to an ergonomics issue on a Discovery 55 regarding the 4 1/2ft height of the boom. The company still needs to sort out a few kinks.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 05:24   #365

Now I know why you owned that Hunter with the main sheet on top of the Bimini, LOL
Old 15-06-2014, 08:38   #366
cruiser

Quote:
Now I know why you owned that Hunter with the main sheet on top of the Bimini, LOL
My wife and I used to bang our heads on the Hunter traveler "spoiler" hand rails almost daily, drove us nuts because supposedly it was put above our heads in order to prevent hitting it. But it was just the right height where if you didn't duck slightly, you'd clip the top of your head as you entered the cockpit on the hand rails. The other thing we just never got used to on the 450, was bashing our right knees as we walked aft going by the staircase. Only 10 inches of clearance for your legs, but seemingly unlimited at shoulder height. Our knees were always banged up. ergonomics are so important when you actually live on a boat.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 08:59   #367

I expect I'll die of a concussion caused by hundreds of repeated blows to the head on this bloody Moody we are sailing. I wish I was Larry Pardey's height when I'm going thru doorways.
Old 15-06-2014, 11:24   #368
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can't Wrap my Mind Around this "Bluewater" Thing!

So.... 367 posts about Water boats">blue water boats boils down to banging yer head...
Just be thankful you guys didn't start sailing 40+ yrs ago.. average headroom on affordable boats was around 4'6-5'3.... £1000/ft back then new...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 14:34   #369
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]So.... 367 posts about blue water boats boils down to banging yer head..

well yes
Old 15-06-2014, 22:12   #370

Unfortunately Boatie I remember those days BUT these were all smaller boats, wonderful times.
Old 17-06-2014, 13:01   #371

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Interesting we passed through Volcana Island, kinda cool there. Yes the weather is goofy right now, lots of thunderstorms around here in Arbatax. Busy tearing my windless apart as it failed us last night so we moved into a marina, rare for us as we prefer anchoring. Anyways got it all fixed up and working so we are going to take the Little Green Train for a mountain tour tomorrow and then continue north and west. Enjoy yourself, we almost crossed paths.
Cute little train isn't it? I have been there for several times, leaved the boat on the shipyard of Paolo Mulas. If you need something fixed on the boat, that' a good shipyard and a very nice guy.

If you go up the east Sardinia coast and are in Arbatax you not seeing yet the cream of the luxury Italian yachts but you will be seeing them soon, specially motorboats. That is the more "touristic" coast (North of Arbatax), I mean with anchorages full of motorboats and very expensive marinas, nice scenery too. The other coast (west) is probably better for one that is interested in local culture (and not so much in luxury developments), with not so crowed anchorages and cheap ports. If you do the other coast do not miss Carlo Forte, The ancient city of Tharros, Bosa, Alghero, Stintino and CastelSardo.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 08:36   #372

Didn't see any nice boats in Arbatax but we did see some in Villas Imius when we first arrived. We are currently in Porto Brandinghi taking in the delightful thunderstorms. Thanks for the suggestions...enjoy your sailing trip!
Old 24-06-2014, 13:35   #373

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC

I think it comes down to which modern boat we're talking about.

In the old days before computer simulations they built the fiberglass hulls mostly to wooden boat standards because they didn't really know how strong it was or how long it would last. So they were much thicker than they had to be. Layups being equal that usually equates to a stronger piece. Nowadays they can make it thinner because they can model the strength it takes to do the job it has to do at that particular point. The only problem with that is that it's hard to model every single stress situation that could possibly be encountered.

If you look at a modern Pacific Seacraft or Island Packet, you're probably looking at a pretty good sea boat. Hunter, Catalina, and equivalents unfortunately tend to be on the more cost effective side. But that's what they're designed for and they do that job very well. I had a Catalina 25 and it was fast and fun to sail. But knowing what I know now from years of sailing different boats and being in different situations I would never take that boat on any offshore cruise.

The effect of having a strong boat underneath you isn't readily apparent sailing in protected waters. For example I remember once when I was 3 days out of Port Canaveral heading for Cape Hatteras in my Cape Dory 28 and got caught in an unexpected fast-moving front that came down across the east coast and hit me at ~2:00am when I was crossing the Gulf Stream towards North Carolina (I had sailed the Rhumb line from Port Canaveral to Hatteras). The wind was blowing over gale force against the stream and the boat was falling off waves. I'm not talking sliding down, I'm talking falling off as the waves would disappear beneath her. Because of the press of wind on her heavy reefed main she remained heeled as she fell and would drop onto her side. The waves were turmoil since the prevailing north-east running 6-foot swell was meeting the front-driven south-west running swell. Periodically 12-15 foot waves would spring up underneath her as the opposite running waves came together and then disappear leaving her floating in the air to fall back down. In all that terror it was very psychologically comforting to feel her solidly thud in a huge splash when she hit every time. I attribute that to her solid construction.

I can only imagine what that would have been like or what would have happened had I been in my friend's (2000-era) Hunter 25 that would oil-can even in light intra-coastal chop. Maybe it would have been plenty strong enough to survive? Who knows?

I don't have experience with the larger Catalinas, Hunters, and equivalents and maybe they're a different type of boat from their smaller counterparts.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:20   #374

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
I mean even HR uses partial liners in some cases.
The only liner segment in my HR40 is in the head and I can disassemble that.

Quote:
I've toured. The HR plant twice and talked to the assembly workers during the open days. I will of course acknowledge they are well built, but they have some similarities with other production companies, beneteau and many others will not used cored hulls below the waterline for example.
My 2006 HR40 is cored only above the waterline. I quite appreciate the insulation in cold weather.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 14:53   #375
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
The only liner segment in my HR40 is in the head and I can disassemble that.

My 2006 HR40 is cored only above the waterline. I quite appreciate the insulation in cold weather.

Many are cored below the waterline , unlike beneteau and Hanse

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
water