Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 15:23   #211

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Can't Wrap my Mind Around this "Bluewater" Thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightonyachts View Post
I'm working on a new hull design of a 60' schooner I plan on building in the Philippines. It will be a combination of traditional design with high tech materials. Will post updates as I complete the design.

Sorry. This is what I meant to be commenting on.
Old 07-05-2014, 15:43   #212

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Sorry. This is what I meant to be commenting on.
I'm definitely inspired by Donald McKay and hollow sharp ends. Bill Garden was definately one of my mentors but his designs were a little to tubby for me. I tend to lean towards Nathaniel Herrshoff.
The rudder I just threw on for now but haven't designed yet

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-05-2014, 17:21   #213
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's why its called 'Blue Tango'...
She dances over the waves..
Sweet boat. Is it really a MacWhatever? Nebber heard of that brand. Must be French
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 17:33   #214

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Can't Wrap my Mind Around this "Bluewater" Thing!

Dashew's Windhorse was in the Jarrett Bay yard here for most of last year. Really something to see. Looooooooooooooooong and skinny. (The way a boat should be!) A beautiful boat in an extremely functional way.

Quote:
Long keel.. and pure luxury.. 5' 10" headroom..
Glad to get off the beach I bet. Goodonya Phil.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 17:53   #215
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Dashew's Windhorse was in the Jarrett Bay yard here for most of last year. Really something to see. Looooooooooooooooong and skinny. (The way a boat should be!) A beautiful boat in an extremely functional way.

Glad to get off the beach I bet. Goodonya Phil.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 18:14   #216

Quote:
I'm definitely inspired by Donald McKay and hollow sharp ends. Bill Garden was definately one of my mentors but his designs were a little to tubby for me. I tend to lean towards Nathaniel Herrshoff.
The rudder I just threw on for now but haven't designed yet
Cap, I had a quickie with Mrs Google and didn't come up with much on Leighton Yachts. Did I misspell something?

William Garden was one of yer mentors? He died a couple of years ago as you know. Did you work for him as a draftsman or ???

I'm jes askin': What are yer bonafides?

I ask cuz most anyone can design a boat: A buddy of mine (I'll leave him nameless), studied NA with Westlawn in the early 80s, as I recall, and designed a 20 fter. We built a cedar strip plug that I sailed to the Tortugas from Miami. The second worst trip I ever had. Outbound was OK but against the wind homeward was a different story. I was over canvassed and under-ballasted. And ran outa water cuz it took me OH SO EFFING LONG to sail home as indicated. Beer was a distant memory.

The two boats we pulled off the plug were modified bigtime, and one went out to the Caribe and back.

Be a real shame to put all the time and dough into something that didn't work well.

Please direct me to yer website. I am here to learn.
Old 07-05-2014, 18:46   #217

On the other hand (devil's advocate reporting for duty!) there's the well reputed "Little Wing", designed by Raud O'Brien, who also put himself through Westlawn for that purpose, then did an outstanding unassisted solo eastabout circumnavigation in the Southern Ocean. (Despite being physically disabled from a near-fatal climbing accident)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 19:03   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Cap, I had a quickie with Mrs Google and didn't come up with much on Leighton Yachts. Did I misspell something?

William Garden was one of yer mentors? He died a couple of years ago as you know. Did you work for him as a draftsman or ???

I'm jes askin': What are yer bonafides?

I ask cuz most anyone can design a boat: A buddy of mine (I'll leave him nameless), studied NA with Westlawn in the early 80s, as I recall, and designed a 20 fter. We built a cedar strip plug that I sailed to the Tortugas from Miami. The second worst trip I ever had. Outbound was OK but against the wind homeward was a different story. I was over canvassed and under-ballasted. And ran outa water cuz it took me OH SO EFFING LONG to sail home as indicated. Beer was a distant memory.

The two boats we pulled off the plug were modified bigtime, and one went out to the Caribe and back.

Be a real shame to put all the time and dough into something that didn't work well.

Please direct me to yer website. I am here to learn.
Thanks for the interest.

I also took the design course in the early eighties, but just for designing and building my own boats. in college I studied mechanical engineering and composite laminate design and went to work for Boeing. So unfortunately I didn't pursue yacht design as a profession. Yacht design is kind of like being a musician, you either become one of the stars and make money, or you just do it for the love of it.

I don't have a published web site yet as all my yacht designs have only been for my own purpose and not as a business. Maybe I could do that in the future If I spend more time at it

So far I have designed and built several sailboats and motor yachts that have done well. but of course some of my first tries were very similar to your story, they didn't sail well and in fact I wrecked my first 21 foot racer I built when I was 14 so sad... but learned a lot and never gave up.

I met William Garden a few times in the past and have been a long time studier of his work, but I never have worked for him. He was a very private person and was hard to get ahold of especially in the last 10 years of his life.

BTW Donald McKay was the famous clipper ship builder that designed and built most of the extreme clippers of the 1850's during the gold rush. His ships broke all the speed records of the time and were unbroken for 135 years until finally "Thursdays Child" broke the record in 1989. And the Clipper "Flying Cloud" that held the record in 1951 did it with a broken foremast and putting into port in south America for 14 days.

The were the stories that inspired me as a child to build my own yacht and sail the oceans of the world.
Old 07-05-2014, 20:28   #219

Quote:
Thanks for the interest.

I met William Garden a few times in the past and have been a long time studier of his work, but I never have worked for him. He was a very private person and was hard to get ahold of especially in the last 10 years of his life.

BTW Donald McKay was the famous clipper ship builder that designed and built most of the extreme clippers of the 1850's during the gold rush. His ships broke all the speed records of the time and were unbroken for 135 years until finally "Thursdays Child" broke the record in 1989. And the Clipper "Flying Cloud" that held the record in 1951 did it with a broken foremast and putting into port in south America for 14 days.

The were the stories that inspired me as a child to build my own yacht and sail the oceans of the world.

I'm a bit of a sailing scholar meself... no watermaker, hard dinghy ...you know the type. That wasn't the part I needed to learn. Your use of the term "mentor" caught my critical eye.

Apologies sir ... it just seemed to me you were sounding somewhat pretentious. Guess there's no law against that.
Old 07-05-2014, 22:06   #220

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

The term 'mentor' has broadened a lot in recent years and no longer only applies to formal mentoring along the lines of an apprenticeship.
I've noticed it being used in art and literature to include, or give credit to influential leaders in the field whose work and style has been studied and aspects of it adopted.
'Pretentious' on the other hand still remains somewhat provocative, but I can think of a lot of CF members who would wear the title well, all present company excluded of course

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 22:33   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
The term 'mentor' has broadened a lot in recent years and no longer only applies to formal mentoring along the lines of an apprenticeship.
I've noticed it being used in art and literature to include, or give credit to influential leaders in the field whose work and style has been studied and aspects of it adopted.
'Pretentious' on the other hand still remains somewhat provocative, but I can think of a lot of CF members who would wear the title well, all present company excluded of course
Of course.

(s) Blue Crab, sailing scholar
Old 08-05-2014, 00:28   #222

Well I'm definately just learning right along with everyone else here and no expert in anything.
I and i admit that I probably use the word "mentor" too loosely and do not want to make myself any more knowledgeable than anyone else. After all I joined this site to share and gain information, and in the process, if we all learn a little more then I think that's a good thing

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-05-2014, 03:11   #223

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Sweet boat. Is it really a MacWhatever? Nebber heard of that brand. Must be French
Humm, Mac something French? French like lighter boats that's a very typical British mini cruiser from the late 60's. They always had a fancy for that kind of boats.

Home | Macwester Owners Association
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:25   #224
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Humm, Mac something French? French like lighter boats that's a very typical British mini cruiser from the late 60's. They always had a fancy for that kind of boats.

Home | Macwester Owners Association
This is 1972... and yes.. the Brits did have a penchant for the 'chunky' look back then as illustrated by Colvic, Westerly, Macwester and others.. the French have always been that bit 'racier'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:43   #225

Quote:
This is 1972... and yes.. the Brits did have a penchant for the 'chunky' look back then as illustrated by Colvic, Westerly, Macwester and others.. the French have always been that bit 'racier'...
Yeah, how come the French ended up with all the fast boats and cool technology hahaha

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
water