Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 12:30   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Can't take much more of this global warming

Quote:
We just had 38 cm of snow with > 100 kph winds and we lost our power for 14 hours, on for 4 hours and off for another 11 hours. I want to burn my snowblower to stay warm but, alas, I have to use it again when I get home.
Even I bow to that...
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
Yesterday was 68f and sunny. I worked on my boat. I decided to stay home today because it is 54f and overcast. I guess I don't know how good I got it.
Yesterday was 74 and sunny and today is 45 with temps still dropping, dreary and really windy. It WAS good but not so much any more. Wind chills tonight will be in the single digits. In a few days it will be back into the mid 70's. Go figure. At least we have something to look forward to besides Spring. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 06-01-2014, 16:53   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

How global warming can make cold snaps even worse – Quartz

I know there are plenty of climate skeptics here, and given the load of old bollocks some self-appointed "experts" have bleated over the years, I am a touch skeptical myself. But I've tried to stick to the hard science literature, which is not in the habit of making sweeping claims, and from what I've gathered, it goes like this:

Energy from the sun hits the earth. Various greenhouse gases act as a sort of blanket. Burning stuff also adds heat, which is also just energy.

More energy means greater swings: higher highs AND (this is the counter-intuitive part) lower lows. More storms OR same or fewer storms, but of greater intensity. The pendulum swings farther as it has a greater push. The weather becomes erratic; seasonality lessens.

So whether this year is merely the "return of the pre-1990 winter" or some function of their being enough energy to push around polar lows farther south than usual, I can't say. But we've been talking about this climate change business for only 30 years or so...an eyeblink...and what can I say? Pilot charts aren't what they used to be. Is it solar cycles? Orbital dynamics? Chinese coal plants? All of the above? Dunno, and don't care much, either. If it's "nature", we are largely powerless to stop it. If it's "anthrogenic", we are largely powerless to stop it because humans are greedy monkeys who will Do As They Please until the view's obstructed by a heap of skulls.

But I found the thesis in the above link plausible.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to station a cube heater next to the laundry room water pipes. One split open on the weekend, and I just don't feel like soldering tonight!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 06-01-2014, 17:00   #19

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

The problem with all the so-called "science" around climate change or global warming as it used to be called, is that it doesn't work. In the rest of the scientific world you make a hypothesis, derive some predictions and then test to see how observations match the predictions. In the climate change world though the predictions simply don't line up with the observations.

I don't think any animal should mess its own nest. But I also don't support massive income redistribution in the name of pseudo-science that simply doesn't work.
Old 06-01-2014, 17:03   #20

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Some interesting but not too technical reading on the subject and how it might cause changes in the weather,
Does Snow and Cold Weather Disprove Climate Change? | Union of Concerned Scientists
Is Global Warming Causing Harsher Winters? | Weather Underground
Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 06-01-2014, 17:16   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
You guys are lucky, it's January, do you have any idea how much it costs to run the AC down here?

Sheesh, some people don't know how good they got it.
Yup. this is FFFFFFine. Minus - I have no idea yet tonight. I've shoveled and blown tons of snow as the guy with the big machine. The city plows our cul-de-sac a few day after the storm - maybe, so I clear the entire circle and 5 driveways. One neighbor hande me a bottle of single malt last night. It was greatly appreciated but the hardest I've ever worked for a drink

I checked the Muskegon NOAA cams today and saw a nutter out beyond the harbor light on a kite board in 35 knots wind at 2 deg F flying over the ice pack. I'd rather NOT be sailing. I'd seriously rather be sweating in the sun and worying about mildew.
Old 06-01-2014, 17:48   #22

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
The problem with all the so-called "science" around climate change or global warming as it used to be called, is that it doesn't work. In the rest of the scientific world you make a hypothesis, derive some predictions and then test to see how observations match the predictions. In the climate change world though the predictions simply don't line up with the observations.

I don't think any animal should mess its own nest. But I also don't support massive income redistribution in the name of pseudo-science that simply doesn't work.
Unless you are a meterologist, or other qualified scientist, I don't think you have much of a base upon which to criticize the work that has been done.
Old 06-01-2014, 18:01   #23

Quote:

Sorry, Bob.

Do not accept info you haven't researched yourself, there's just too much BS out there, and too many people paid handsomely to do the BS'ing. Believe me, it's not the scientists getting rich right now.

Important point: weather isn't climate. Weather is "today, next week", climate is "this decade, this century"
Second: most experts (real ones, not TV pundits) think the observations are tracking the predicted trend reasonably well. A couple cold winters do not derail the trend
Third: the ocean is heating up significantly. Short term - it absorbs heat spikes, but it will become a more important driver of heating trends in the future.

Let's study the problem and lay out some proposals before getting too antsy about "income redistribution".
Old 06-01-2014, 18:05   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Cold here, now, last month, next month is weather, not climate. Just talked to a woman in Italy lives near the Alps. Warm, much warmer than normal. Weather, not climate.
Old 06-01-2014, 18:41   #25

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Sorry, Bob.

Do not accept info you haven't researched yourself, there's just too much BS out there
I agree 100%. And most of that B.S. comes from the warming alarmists.

Quote:
Second: most experts (real ones, not TV pundits) think the observations are tracking the predicted trend reasonably well.
You might want to fact check that claim. The truth is that the IPCC has revised their 2013 projection down 3 times to try to get it more in line with the observations. In point of fact the earth has been COOLING for 17 years now. Its an inconvenient little fact but a fact nonetheless.

Quote:
Let's study the problem and lay out some proposals before getting too antsy about "income redistribution".
Works for me except that the income redistribution is well underway despite the lack of evidence to support it.
Old 06-01-2014, 19:54   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Works for me except that the income redistribution is well underway despite the lack of evidence to support it.
Income redistribution in the form of grants, subsidies, slush, porkbarrelling and graft is always underway. Look at agriculture and fracking. This is no different.

The point revolves around the amounts involved and whether or not they serve a greater purpose.

What is spent on scientists doing AGW research pales in comparison to ethanol subsidies, for instance. Corn for fuel is about the biggest boondoggle going...but you'll never hear a farmer complain.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 06-01-2014, 20:42   #27

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Google image search for "Earth temperature trend line"

earth temperature trend line - Google Search

Hard to find one trending down the last 17 years.
Old 06-01-2014, 20:58   #28

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Here's an interesting article on how charted data can be manipulated towards ones' own bias.

Did global warming stop in <strike>1998</strike>, <strike>1995</strike>, <strike>2002</strike>, <strike>2007</strike>, 2010?
Old 06-01-2014, 22:58   #29

I am lying to an anchor just West of the Head of Passes of the Mississippi and its 28 with freezing spray, which I've never seen in the gulf before. This global warming is kicking our ass!

Wonder what Al (the ice caps will melt by 2014) Gore has to say about this?
Old 06-01-2014, 23:08   #30

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Just had to get up and open a second hatch here in Elizabeth Harbour, anchored off of volleyball beach... Just not enough breeze to sleep even without any covers or clothes...

Oh the hardship!
Closed Thread