Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 15:41   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Re: Canadian leaving boat in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnuthin View Post
This is from an acquaintance, who up to this year left his Canadian boat "on the hard" down in Florida....." Today I went to USCBP to get my cruising permit and they refused me, my vessel is not Registered, they did the same to Richard my friend from Quebec. This puts the boats in a very bad position, every time I move the boat I must go to the nearest USCBP and pay, surrender the ships documents until I plan to leave , then go back and pay to clear out to the next port, every time the boat moves. If I haul it out they can sieze it after a time and force me to pay import tax and State Property taxes. If I had known this I would have left the boat in the Bahamas and said good bye to Florida for good!"
State Property Taxes??? I'm a Florida resident and don't pay any State Property Taxes on my boat. I pay a registration fee each year, because my boat is registered in Florida, but it's nominal. Maybe $50.

Real Property taxes don't apply, tangible property tax only applies to business assets. What "State Property Taxes" are you talking about?
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:46   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Welcome to the world of long distance boating... May the farce be with you!!!
As to insurance, I looked at US policies and would not touch them with the proverbial barge poll. I am sure some who live there know how to do it but there where so many loopholes and caveats it seamed that a claim would almost certainly get dismissed. Some of the small print also included the insure having the absolute wright to pay you out and cease the boat in the event of a claim, this came with a valuation that was about 25% of the replacement cost of the boat!!! Also getting a dispute resolved in the US courts look horrifically expensive and takes years which means the insurer knows you are probably going to take whatever they offer. My advice stay with the nationality of you registration for all contracts if at all possible. Only based on relatively little experience though so may be just me.
Try BoatUS Insurance. They work with you. Very few restrictions and they will negotiate a discount for you when on the hard. They own West Marine, Tow Boat US, etc. Tow Boat US is also a great deal. For roughly $125 per year, you get unlimited towing and they are everywhere in Florida. I've had great experience with them. I always call them before navigating a Florida inlet for up to date info.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 16:42   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

There is a lot of incorrect information on this thread. For example one poster said US built boats do not need cruising permits. Baloney!! All foreign flagged boats whose countries are on the list published by the US govt can get cruising permits and they are required.

All the correct info is available online at the govt websites. Do not rely on info posted by folks that don't have a clue. Do a search and go to the US govt websites. It's all there.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 09-03-2015, 17:03   #19

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

this is great info....we have started to call other insurance companys and we will look into more of the legal part of keeping the boat south with these very valuable points here.............and we will keep you posted
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:20   #20

Boat: Northstar 8020

I don't know if any of this info has been posted. Haven't had time to keep up ......
"
Sojourner Registration

If your plans include cruising to Florida this winter on your used trawler or used motor yacht you need to be aware of this.

Florida requires that vessels be registered in Florida after 30 days in state. However, the state provides reciprocity for of out of state vessels. This allows you to operate your vessel in state waters for up to 90 days.

There is however, a little used statue, 328.58, that provides cruising in Florida waters beyond the 90 day limit without Florida registration, the Sojourner Registration.

Why is this important? If you are stopped and are asked to produce documentation about your presence in the State, you may be required to register your boat to remain. More importantly, in your registration process, you’ll be asked to produce evidence that you have paid sales tax on your used trawler or used motor yacht.

Many states do not tax used boats, Florida does.

For cruisers entering Florida from the north via the ICW, Nassau County is your first Florida county at Fernandina Beach. This where I am. I spoke to the County office today and got what you’ll need to make this Sojourner registration painless.

The Nassau County Tax Office is prepared to issue you the registration. The tax office is a short 5 minute walk to the county offices from the Fernandina Harbor Marina.

I spoke with Tina at the tax collectors office. Her number is 904-491-7400 x7450. Here is what she provided today.

Out of state vessels can enter and remain in Florida waters for 90 days without doing anything
Out of state, state – registered vessels can remain for 6 months after the 90 day grace period by using the Sojourner process
Out of state documented vessels can remain in the state for 1 year after the 90 day grace period using the Sojourner process
Fees are approximately $3.00/ft
The Sojourner registration can be processed via mail if desired; contact Tina to have her calculate your exact costs for your boat. Mail the attached forms, copy of your registration or documentation and a check to her at Tax Collectors Office, 416 Center Street, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034.
You should read the simple instructions and complete and take the completed Sojourner registration form with you. If you are already in the State, I suggest you take the instructions and forms with you to the county offices as the workers will not likely know about this provision."
Igotnuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:28   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Confusingly not-quite-right, I think.

"Florida requires that vessels be registered in Florida after 30 days in state."
Wrong, Florida requires unregistered vessels to be registered, including unregistered out of staters. Not all vessels, just the unregistered elsewhere ones.

"However, the state provides reciprocity for of out of state vessels. This allows you to operate your vessel in state waters for up to 90 days."
Reciprocity is arguably the wrong word, there's nothing reciprocal about it. Most, if not all, states allow for vehicles registered in another state to come visit for 90 days. At which point, they want local registration. That's got more to do with honoring the laws of other states than any reciprocity agreements. Nothing special there.

"There is however, a little used statue, 328.58, that provides cruising in Florida waters beyond the 90 day limit without Florida registration, "
And if that's what has been discussed before, it is not without Florida registration. It is only with Florida duplicate registration. You are incredibly allowed to keep your out of state registration and title (title fees can be a huge surprise if you have to bring in and register a car, like $400 for a compact) BUT you also will pay essentially for a full Florida registration, which must be carried on board. The extra set of numbers are not to be displayed, but you'll have them anyhow.

So it is unique and perhaps generous in that Florida does not require you to convert and retitle the vessel, but it is also a clever tax grab that demands DUPLICATE registration of your vessel.

True aliens, cruising on "cruising permits", are the only real winners, because Florida can't take them out of federal/international jurisdiction.

I don't recall if that's 90 days "continuous" or within one calendar year, the details will matter.

And if your boat is an antique, over 30 years old with the "original engine type" still in it, registration is so nominal that it may pay to just do it that way, instead of by the foot.

Weasels, greedy weasels.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:32   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
And if your boat is an antique, over 30 years old with the "original engine type" still in it, registration is so nominal that it may pay to just do it that way, instead of by the foot.

Weasels, greedy weasels.
So it is original engine type, not original engine?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:36   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think they say "type" not "engine". But what's an engine type? Yanmar? Diesel? Internal combustion? Noisy smelly slow and ugly?

Painted blue?

If an educated and experienced man like Chairman Mao could decree that black cats and white cats were all the same (because they both caught mice) then what's to be said about engines?

"Caterpillar, Seagull, all same, move boat."

So nice to know they're no more literate than Congress. (sigh)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida