Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 03:45   #46

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Can You Force Buyer to Change Boat Name?

Several years ago we bought an O'Day 35 from a 40-something widow whose husband died suddenly. They loved the boat. It was a big part of their life together. While she didn't put a name change in the sales contract, she asked us to change the name, saying she couldn't bear to see it out on the water. We honored her wish, we would've done anyway because it was a terrible name.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 05:33   #47

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
A friend of mine up here in Canada was forced by age and health to sell his beloved boat, which he owned and enjoyed with his family for 17 years. The boat's name (not registered) was a combination of the names of his three children and hence very dear to him. The fellow that bought it, as irony would have it, has a cottage on the same lake, about 1/2 mile from my friend. Well, when the new owner takes the boat out, my friend and his wife cry on their dock. He asked the new owner to please change the name as he cannot bear seeing it, but they refuse because they believe it is bad luck to change a boat's name. Is there anything he can do? Is there a superstition that would override the above? Does he have any legal rights? Again, the name was not registered, the boat has a licence number and he just named her after his kids.
Perhaps i am a bigger idiot than the shrinks tell me, but if the boat was sold with those lovely vinyl letters spelling out the boats name, they are a part of the inventory, therefore part of the boat. The problem belongs to your friends for not changing it first. Its now the buyers boat to do what he likes.

As far as changing the name and superstition, Pfft, Superstition is all it is. He can change it if he wants to. But not because your friends want him to.

Frankly, I have never sold a boat and wanted the name to be changed. My only hope has been that the boat is loved and used by caring owners.

Perhaps your friends should actually be happy that they know the boat is being used and loved. I would love to know what has happened to all of the boats I have owned over the years.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 05:50   #48

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I rememer a story and don't know if it is true. Perhaps some of our Aussie friends could verify this. There is a gentleman who has campaigned a series of boats named "Bumblebee" When he sells the boat he makes it a condition of sale that the name of the boat is changed. Of course everyone reffered to the new owners boats as the "Ex-Bumblebee" so one purchaser changed the name of the boat from Bumblebee to "Ex-bumblebee" Technically a name change. Well they went to court over it and the new owner relented and changed the name. Has anyone ever heard this story?

There have been a lot of famous sydney hobart boat names that have popped up on newer boats. As one boat gets tired- its sold, the owner buys a new one and names it the same as the previous.

I haven't heard about contractual agreements regarding these boats (Bumblebee being one of them it seems), but I am not a broker either. But certainly, renaming new boats the same as the last is not uncommon in the big end of town here.

Having said all that , here is an Add for one of Syds Ragamuffins. No word about losing the name. In fact, using the famous Ragamuffin name as a selling point. But to add some confusion, it used to be a Bumblebee.. Used 'maxi Ragamuffin' Frers 80ft Maxi Yacht In Qld 1d Survey for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 08:59   #49

Boat: Various

This is one of those cases I see on Judge Judy or People's Court and the Judge really gets frustrated that their time is being wasted on such a matter plus the fact the plaintiff has no case.

Plus the fact that there are no limits whatsoever on how many boats can use any given name. One always thinks they've come up with the perfect unique one of a kind name and find out that there are ten more throughout the world using the same name.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 09:46   #50

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
This is for fstbttms. " noobs". Real nice way to welcome a newcomer , think about it
True story: Decades before the rise of Skynet, in high school "noobs" was a term for a young woman with A-cups.

Sexist, but it was a different era. For the record, I liked noobs as much as the alternative.

I didn't hear "noob" for "newbie" for "newcomer", "tyro" or the like again until the '90s.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 00:23   #51

Boat: Tasman 26

Thanx for the welcome and the razzing...I still like the forums but.
I must say though, old posts can be still relevant.
have a noice day.
Perfusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 07:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfusser View Post
I must say though, old posts can be still relevant.
Agreed, helps keep an important subject alive that others might have missed, myself included.
WELCOME aboard.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:32   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Alchemy, I think "newbs" or "newbies" got popularized out of Army slang during Nam. As opposed to "noobs" which I've heard way less often but, like you, I've only heard it associated with puberty and anatomical changes that probably could not be discussed on this forum.

Why the grunts referred to "newbies" (new bies?) instead of "newgies" (new guys) I have no idea. The more common other term probably would run afoul of the forum's anatomical policies too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:51   #54

Boat: Catalina 30

In the Navy circa 1993ish it was FNG, newb is very common in online gaming.

Many a good time was had tea bagging a newb when playing Halo.
Old 18-02-2014, 10:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Why the grunts referred to "newbies" (new bies?) instead of "newgies" (new guys) I have no idea. The more common other term probably would run afoul of the forum's anatomical policies too.

So as not to be confused with noogies? (Knuckles rubbed hard against another person's head...)
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote